Alternate Lives

By Nightbloom

Part 8

Dive was exhausted. His adrenaline was gone and his body was feeling the effects of the strain he just put it through trying to get away from the Saurians and Canard.

He felt weak.

And unfortunately, this was the worst time to feel that.

Dive began to struggle, kicking and punching with his free hand, trying to get rid of Canard.. "Let me go!" he shouted.

"Nosedive!" shouted Canard. "Dive!"

"It's just us!" shouted another voice.

Dive paused and looked past Canard. He then looked back up and all the excitement caught up to him.

He let out one small whimper and fell into the arms of his most trusted team captain.

"Man, oh, man, I thought I'd never see you again," he whispered, as tentative arms wrapped around him.

Another gentle hand rested against his shoulder.

A few moments later, lasers began to fly.

X

ND had reached Nightbloom when Dive had taken off to lead General Canard away.

"He's after him," he gasped.

Nightbloom pushed him towards the tunnels. "We'll keep track of them," she said.

ND hurried off, clutching the folder close to his body.

A male Saurian ran with him, acting as his armed escort.

Nightbloom turned back towards the house.

Both Dive and Canard were gone. Nightbloom sank back into the shadows, and decided to wait. She motioned for another to follow and make sure nothing happened to Dive.

Roughly twenty minutes later, Nightbloom got word that Dive was returning, alone.

She stood at her post in the sewers and waited.

She could hear the sound of the sewer opening and dropping. Then she heard Dive's frightened cry and Canard's voice. She narrowed her eyes. How did he know? she asked herself. "Fire!" she shouted, pulling out her laser gun.

She leapt from behind the wall and targeted the tan mallard. Dive was in his arms and several ducks were backing him up.

A few of her own moved into position and began firing.

Canard threw Dive behind him and began to fire back, as did the rest of his team.

"Stop!" she heard someone shout.

"Dive, have you gone mad?!" shouted Canard, as Dive ran past him, waving his arms.

"Cease fire!" shouted Nightbloom, not wanting to risk injuring their newest member.

"These are my buds from my time-line!" Dive shouted. "They're cool."

Nightbloom stepped forward, and the ducks tensed up.

Dive turned to them. "Relax, some of the Saurians are allies. Nightbloom is the leader of the Resistance."

X

To say ND was terrified when he spotted Canard was an accurate statement. To say he was petrified when he saw Grin was an understatement.

Both ducks caused nervous mumblings from both Avians and Saurians.

"Canard is ruthless on his own. But one of his soldiers is Iron Wing. . . Grin's counterpart."

"This is all kinda weird," said Wildwing.

"I'll say," said Koko, standing next to Dive. "It's like talking to a ghost."

Dive watched with amusement as Dr. Beacon fawned over an embarrassed Tanya. "This is great," he was saying. "I mean, I always admired your physical beauty, well, this world's beauty, but now that I see you are intelligent, I, well, wow! Most Naughty Chicks models have no brain cells worth talking about!"

Duke had found a copy of Naughty Chicks and was almost hysterical about finding Tanya as the centerfold spread.

Tanya was mortified and flattered by the cat calls she received, but promptly snatched the magazine away from Duke before the others could see it.

"It may not be me," she said, "but it still looks like me. And you are too young to be looking at stuff like this!" she said to Dive, a question obvious on his face.

"Darn," he said. "Okay, next question...what now?"

Canard looked thoughtful. "Well, Tanya rigged the device to take us back to our dimension, but it doesn't feel right leaving this place without helping."

Nightbloom raised an eyebrow. "You definitely are nothing like General Canard."

"That's cause he's cool," Dive responded, flashing a grin to his team captain.

He leaned back against Wildwing who was behind him. Physical contact seemed to sooth his nerves. It apparently worked for Wildwing too because he looked at peace.

ND watched from a distance, still too afraid to come close.

"We would appreciate any help you could give us," Nightbloom said. "ND and Dive managed to snatch the blueprints to Lord Dragaunus's security system and fortress."

"Then let's review," said Canard.

X

ND watched with a heavy heart as Dive laughed, surrounded by his friends from his different time line.

He longed to experience such companionship.

Even Koko seemed drawn to the exuberance that Dive possessed.

Even though she seemed to insult him at every turn.

It wasn't that ND was jealous that Koko was interested in Dive. It just made him sad to know that he would never be like Dive. He was far too tainted to ever be as carefree.

In the past month or so, Dive and the others trained with the rest of the Resistance. They all played hockey on a nightly basis as a form of recreation and to test their speed, endurance, and agility.

Canard and Nightbloom spent most of the time behind conference doors, going over plans and coordinating future attacks.

Every once in a while, both of them would go out and train with the team, assessing strengths and weaknesses.

Dive would tease Canard about the alone time he was spending with Nightbloom.

Canard would turn slightly red and then send Dive to run some laps.

At nights, Dive would comfortably sleep between Canard and Wildwing on the floor with the rest of his own team. He would also meditate with Grin.

It was odd seeing the infamous torturer being so mellow and gentle.

Dr. Beacon continued to pursue Tanya.

ND sighed as he picked at his food. Pretty soon, Canard and Nightbloom would announce their plans for the attack.

X

"You certainly have a knack for spotting things," Nightbloom said, eyes raking over the diagrams.

Canard leaned back on his chair and grinned proudly. "Thank you," he replied.

Nightbloom slightly chuckled as she settled down next to him.

It's amazing how approachable she can be when she doesn't have to act like a leader in front of everyone else, mused Canard.

Nightbloom cast him a smile. Then she gave a small frown as she realized how close Canard was.

Both of them stared into each others eyes for a moment.

Nightbloom turned away first.

"Have you every...been with someone?" Canard asked.

"No," responded Nightbloom. "As a leader, I must not have any distractions."

Canard nodded slightly. "But always being a leader can be very lonely."

"Yes," Nightbloom whispered. "But love in war can be foolish."

"It can also give strength."

Nightbloom looked up at him, a troubled look in her eyes.

Canard hesitantly reached for he hand.

She didn't move it away.

He gently squeezed it and leaned forward.

"I've lost one before," Nightbloom whispered.

"Is that any reason to shut out everyone?"

Nightbloom didn't answer.

Canard gently kissed her, and it was the catalyst for a long repressed need.

X

"Well," said Dr. Beacon, raising a mug in a mock toast to Nightbloom. "Looks like someone got lucky last night."

Nightbloom gave him a cocky look. "Looks like someone's looking for a beating."

Dr. Beacon turned his attentions towards Tanya, deeming her safer.

Wildwing and Dive stared at Canard, who was standing somewhat close to Nightbloom.

"We stayed up all night going over the plans," he said, throwing a secretive look at Nightbloom. "And I think we'll soon be ready to bring Dragaunus down and give you guys a chance to win."

The Resistance soldiers reacted favorably, to say the least.

ND grinned shakily. While he had been waiting to hear that for years, he couldn't help but wonder of the dangers that they would all face.

To be continued . . .


Go to Part Nine
Back to Nightbloom's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction