Alternate Lives

By Nightbloom

Part 9

Lord Dragaunus sat in his throne, a dangerous look in his face. His yellow claws clicked against the arm rests as he watched the Avian before him being slain.

Droids moved in to clean up the blood and feathers that lay scattered across the floor.

"I never did like him," he said, as General Canard approached him, staring at the body being dragged across the floor.

"He always did seem too soft," agreed Canard. "Made me wonder whether or not he was in infiltrator."

Lord Dragaunus looked at the tan duck before him. "Why did you request an audience?" he asked.

General Canard looked at him. "I have reason to believe that you are in danger, Lord Dragaunus."

"Oh?"

"The security blueprints of the Raptor and your castle have been taken from my home."

Dragaunus nodded. "I see." He stood up. "Well, General Canard. I trust that you will take care of the problem." He sounded somewhat bored.

"Of course," responded Canard, giving a polite bow.

"Use whomever you need."

X

General Canard stopped to relish the sounds of screaming that came from inside the dungeon room.

With a smile on his face, he stepped into the room in time to witness Iron Wing at work.

Before him stood the tall grey duck. His current victim was an Avian male caught during a raid.

"So this is the infamous black marketer?" questioned Canard, eyeing the grey duck. He nodded with satisfaction at the work done on the prisoner.

One of the Avian's eyes was closed shut, blood leaking out as if tears. His beak had deep abrasions on it, and his feathers were damp from sweat.

Chains held him up above what looked like a large hot plate.

Iron Wing pressed a button, and the mechanisms above the duck lowered him down.

The prisoner let out a weak cry as the heat rose, burning his tender feet.

Iron Wing pushed another button, and the top slip to one side, emitting a thick cloud of hot steam.

The duck screamed as the feathers on his legs began to fall out, leaving them bare and raising blisters on his skin. The blisters boiled and popped, clear liquid running down his legs as the plate slid closed.

"Name," said Iron Wing.

The duck opened his one good eye. "You and your kind will die," he said in a weak voice.

"Name," repeated Iron Wing, selecting what looked like a pick from a tool box.

"I will make sure of that," continued the Avian. "Even if it means coming back from the grave!!"

"I said, 'Name."

General Canard flinched slightly as Iron Wing wedged the pick under the duck's fingernail and pushed in.

The Avian screamed again.

X

General Canard watched as the bloody carcass of the prisoner was pushed out of the room.

"So, that's all you got out of him? L'Orange?" asked Canard, disappointed. "A last name? Nothing on his clientele?"

Iron Wing looked at him, a pleasant expression on his face. "Not a another word," he said. "He remained silent about his people and lasted my whole session. Not many are strong enough these days."

Canard stared at him with a bemused expression. "So you enjoy finding those that don't talk no matter what."

Iron Wing nodded. "I take a part of them with me to remember them by." He tossed something in the air and caught it.

General Canard's curiosity got the better of him as he put out his hand, a silent order for the tall grey duck to hand it over.

Iron Wing shrugged and placed a round, soft, and wet object into the general's hand.

Canard's eyebrow shot straight up. "Where do you keep it?" he asked. He held up an eyeball, part of the retina still attached.

"In a jar," responded Iron Wing, taking his possession back.

"I'm really looking forward to working with you," Canard said, an evil grin on his face.

Iron Wing returned the grin. "And I look forward to training your slave."

Both ducks shared a dark chuckle.

X

Nightbloom cursed as Zane finished informing her of current events.

"What's wrong?" asked Canard, gently squeezing her shoulder.

Nightbloom leaned into his touch. "We lost an inside member and one of our providers." She turned to Zane.
Call everyone for a quick memorial service. Since both died without exposing us, we must at least honor their courage."

"Yes," Lady Nightbloom," said Zane, bowing. He turned to leave, a small smile on his face. He glanced back one more time, observing with pleasure at the sight of his leader being physically comfortable with a male. He left the room.

Canard stood in front of the female Saurian. "Who were they?" he asked.

Nightbloom sighed. "One was an Avian known as Freedom Flight. He infiltrated Dragaunus's army. However, he was in charge of finding out about the portal appearances. Since he failed, he was executed."

Canard nodded.

"The other was into black marketing, and he provided items we needed. Food, weapons, clothes. He always stuck to the shadows so I never saw him. The only clue that I have is that he was part of a group called the Brotherhood. They both will be missed."

Canard gently nodded.

"Come on," said Nightbloom, taking his hand. "Let us grieve for a moment, and then initiate our attack. Lord Dragaunus must be stopped, and his time draws near."

To be continued . . .


Go to Part Ten
Back to Nightbloom's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction