Return To Home, Part Two

Do You Know Me?

By Nyre

Knock, knock, knock.

Castel looked up to see Analyn peeking through. "Hi..." she smiled weakly, "can I come in?" Castel gave a nod and continued to leaf through a scrapbook Nyre had made her. The newcomer sat down on a chair a few feet away. "So, what're you doing?" She asked softly.

"Nothin'." The hybrid answered blankly, still fingering the pictures and memorabilia stuck onto the pages. She listened as Analyn simply watched her silently. "You're from Florida, right?" the girl nodded. "Momma's favorite band is from Florida." Castel murmured softly.

"Look," Analyn started softly, "I'm sorry I'm causing you this pain..."

Castel smiled slightly, looking up at her mother's lookalike. "It's... okay. You don't have to feel sorry. I don't blame you for anything." The hybrid patted the space beside her and Analyn shyly approached. "Mom had a great life..." Castel suddenly choked out and blinked at the moisture forming quickly in her eyes. Analyn reacted and pulled her close, cradling the young hybrid his her arms.

"Shhh... hush now...." Analyn began to hum softly. Soothingly... then suddenly Castel froze in her arms. "Castella...? What's--"

"You called me... Castella." Castel stared back, pale as could be. "How did you know...?" The hybrid suddenly grabbed Analyn's hand and pushed back the sleeve of her shirt to see her wrists.

"What the?!"

"Ohmigod."

Analyn looked back up as she saw Castel let go and run out the door. "WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!"

What the heck?! Why the reaction... Anayn glanced to what Castel had seen. It was a scar... one barely seen... cut in a vertical fashion. Where on Earth...? She stood and walked out the door.

* * *

"Are you sure kid?" Duke frowned and glanced in Nosedive's direction. Mallory hugged Castel and glanced at Tanya and the others. If Castel was right...

"I'm sure." Castel whispered softly.

"It... it could be a coincidence." All eyes turned sharply in Wildwing's direction. He looked away and placed his palms on the table and inhaled. "What?" Drake frowned and left his place by the doorframe. "What're ya talking about Wing? We all know that on Nyre's left wrist there's a vertical cut made by a knife. It may have scarred over and faded so that it's barely seen... but we all know that Nyre has that mark!"

"Wing, what's wrong with you? You brought her here in the first place. You..." Dee looked away. "You made us hope that Analyn... is her."

"Well maybe we thought wrong. Nyre couldn't have survived that crash, much less the explosion that came afterwards. For cryin' out loud!" Wing faced them, "that thing exploded a hundred feet above the ground!"

Silence.

The tall white duck sat somberly on the couch and sighed. "I want her back too guys. You know how much..."

"We know Wing." Duke sighed and left the room.

* * *

"I just want to be able to hold her again...." Analyn listened as the conversation continued inside. She crouched in the shadows, listening as the group of friends comforted each other. Wildwing was the one being comforted now. He glanced up his younger brother who smiled sympathetically.

"We know Wing."

"Eavesdropping, actually... was her style." Analyn shot to her feet and saw a tall figure standing in the shadows.

"Wh-wh-who's?" she stammered, blushing a deep crimson.

"Nyre's." The tall grey duck she'd come to know as Duke stepped out and smiled weakly. "Never got rid of that bad habit." He sighed wistfully. "Hey, let's walk."

"Walk?"

He nodded. "I wanna have my turn to talk to ya."

"Okay."

* * *

Later, up by the rink. "When we warmed up to each other... I immediately took it to mind that she'd be sorta like a kid sister. But well... Dee was the lucky one according to what I've been told by Drake and the rest of Strobe. Her family adopted Nyre the year after they'd first met." Duke had explained to Ana all that she had to know about her 'double's' life before the event of her death.

"Uhm... DK?"

Duke glanced up suddenly at her calling him. "W-wh-what was that 'gel?"

Analyn blushed. "Uh, nothin', hey... since you've told me about Nyre and Dee and all the others... how about her relationship with Wildwing...? I know they meant a lot to each other an' all... but how much... exactly."

The duck smiled wistfully and looked away, a distant look came to his eyes. "Angel wasn't just any girl to Wing. She was..."

"Everything?"

"Somethin' like that." He nodded and smiled slightly. "They'd gone through a lot. She'd gone through most of the hard stuff. The press scrutinizing their relationship... the break-up... but they got back together y'know. They always came back."

"Oh."

"Well... if it wasn't Castel bawling her eyes out and not speakin' to them both for a week or so... it was the feelings they couldn't erase whenever they saw each other, y'know." He glanced to her and smiled gently. "Can't blame him for wanting her back, huh? So what's your story?"

"I have a brother in Florida, friends... a home and things to do."

"No parents?"

"Kevan explained to me that they died... we've been hiding from welfare since..." She sighed. "He doesn't want them to split us up, y'know... he means well." She smiled up at the one-eyed duck who nodded.

"Wing said you don't remember anything except what's happened in the past months... is that true?" She nodded. "I was in an accident... a car nearly ran me over."

"You sure?"

She glanced up in question. "What?"

"Are you sure that's what happened?" Duke asked. Analyn suddenly turned beet red. "Are you implying that my brother was... is lying to me?" she backed up and narrowed her eyes.

Uh-oh, wrong words Duke. "No, hey kid, I didn't mean that!" He reached out to her but she ran off into the darkness. Oh man... this is not going well... He sighed and made his way back to his quarters.

* * *

Analyn dropped to her knees once she entered the bathroom. Kevan wouldn't lie... would he? She leaned on the door and hugged her knees close to her. Why would he... the picture and the things... they said it all. Besides, Nyre has ebony hair... I have light brown...

She glanced up at the shelf and saw a blue bottle, the same blue bottle Nosedive brought along when he had a prank to play on Mal. Unless my hair isn't light brown. She stood.

* * *

The next day.

"I'm sorry Wing, I didn't know she'd freak." Duke winced at the expression on the younger duck's face. Wildwing sighed and slumped back on the couch. "Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Wing waved his hand dismissively.

"Dad," Castel hugged the taller duck and rested her cheek on his arm.

"I just thought of something." Tanya glanced to each of them.

"What's on your mind Tan-tan?" Ace leaned over and frowned slightly.

The blond duck ran a hand through her hair and then answered, "Well... it's just a possible theory on how Analyn could be Nyre."

Grin glanced up and stopped what he was doing.

"Explain. Now." Drake said firmly.

"Well, actually there are two theories. One where she could be Nyre, the other is that she really could be who her brother says she is." Several nods as replies. Okay... here goes. "You see, it's possible that she could have gotten out of the craft before it crashed and exploded. You know Nyre, she'll jump at the opportunity to live. IF that's the case she might have hit her head in the process of leaving the craft or due to trauma... her brain decided to block out all memory of the event." Nods again. Good. "But if you ask me... I have no clue as to how she got to Florida. It's too far off. But there are a number of reasons and possibilities that she could have gotten there."

"What's the second one?" Mallory asked glancing a moment at Dee, Castel, Dive and Wing.

"Well... if she isn't Nyre and she is Analyn, her story would fit. Car accident, same circumstances, severe trauma or a hit to the head... a bad one."

"What about the ring?" Another voice entered the conversation.

Castel stood and ran to Dee and Nosedive. Grin's eyes widened. Duke stepped back. His hand reflexively went to his saber. Mallory, Ace and Hacker grabbed their pucklaunchers and Drake narrowed his eyes and went into battle stance. Tanya stood in shock and Wildwing paled under his feathers.

And in the doorway stood Analyn... or they assumed was Analyn, her light brown hair a rich ebony and tied in a half-ponytail, matching ebony eyes searching each of them. She was dressed in Nyre's full uniform, the blue, black and silver bodysuit with the hood. On her left leg was a pucklauncher and on her right arm a silver blade was strapped tight.

"Ohmigod..." Castel felt her knees go numb and Dive, anticipating this reaction pulled her tighter into his arms.

"Analyn...?" someone whispered.

"No." She replied, smiling weakly and blinking twice. "Nyre."

* * *

A few hours later...

The team was quiet as Kevan Garcia entered the room. Analyn/Nyre stood and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Hello Kevan," she whispered.

"Ana..." His voice trailed as he gave her a once over. "Your hair... is..."

"Back to the way it originally was." His gaze dropped to the ground. "Why Kevan? Why did you do this to me?"

"I... didn't know what to think." He sighed and looked around. Drake offered him a seat then returned to where he sat with Mallory. Duke crossed his arms over his chest and whispered something to Hacker and Ace. Castel glanced to Wing, then to Dee and finally to Dive. Their expressions were the same. Nothing.

"Explain Kevan. We won't hurt you. I won't say anything until you finish." She smiled, touching his cheek lightly. He sighed and he began to explain.

* * *

"So, what you're saying is... technically, she was in a hit and run." Ace rested his chin on his fist, his frown deepening.

"Yes. I was with my friends for a trip to here in Anaheim when we witnessed it. At first I just didn't know what to do. I was shocked to see her. She resembled Ana so much." He glanced weakly at Nyre, who smiled kindly. "A few hours after we brought her to the small motel we were staying in, she woke up..." He glanced to Nyre again. "You woke up. But remembered nothing."

"Oh." She dropped her gaze to her hands.

"I did what I thought was best. I had no idea she had a family... a wonderful caring one. I took it upon myself to be the family she needed and took her back to Florida when we had to go." He paused. He smiled fondly, looking at the ring she'd placed on her finger. "You wouldn't let me put that away y'know."

"What?!"

"You probably don't remember the times you'd lapse back into a confused, disoriented state back in the first two weeks. I tried to put that away in a safe place. I was going to tell you. But you..." he smiled sheepishly and rubbed his neck. "You... ahem, defended it." Nyre's ears turned light pink.

"So what happens now?" Mallory asked softly, pulling away slightly from Drake.

"She stays with you," Kevan said firmly. He turned his attention to Wildwing. "I would offer to care for her... but she's yours, not mine."

"I'm sorry for your loss. It must be hard. I know."

"Yes, my friend. You do."

* * *

"So what do we do now?" Nosedive asked Hacker and Ace as they made their way to Captain Comics. Castel, Dee, Tanya and Mallory had informed them that they'd be going to the mall, and since the boys had been itching for a trip to the comic shop they'd all gone to the Anaheim Mall together.

"I don't know actually Dive, for once, you shouldn't ask me." Ace replied as they entered the shop.

"Hey you guys! Got some new stuff at the back isle!" Thrash greeted the three.

"Hey Hacker, I just got the newest magazine of Cyber World. Wanna see?" Mookie asked. The tall blonde smiled and walked over to the girl who offered him the magazine and a seat.

Dive paused as he picked a comic off the rack. "I just wish..."

* * *

"... we could do something y'know?" Mallory browsed through the rack of clothing. "Hey Tanya! I think you'll like this!" She tossed the blond a pair of denim capri pants and a nice three-fourths blouse. The blond shot her best friend a 'thank you' smile and made a beeline for the dressing room.

"Well, what can we do, exactly?" Lavender eyes glinted as they caught sight of a light pink sundress. "Oooo! I like!" She strutted over to the dressing room and rapped lightly on Tanya's door. "After you, me, Taunny!"

"Otay!" the duck replied from within.

Castel laughed softly and shoved a pair of pants at Mallory. "This'll shock the boys." She smiled mischievously.

Mal examined the suit and tie, her green eyes glinted in reply. "Yeah... I think... TAN! Me after Dee!"

"Enough, you two! Let me finish!" Tanya glanced at the mirror and suddenly got an idea. Hmmm... she tugged off her headband and let her hair down. "Guys?"

"Wha?!" They asked in unison from outside.

"Can we stop by the optometrist?"

"Finally! Lemme guess!"

"Uh-hm!"

"Tan's getting contacts!"

* * *

Duke ignited his saber and charged at Grin. "Release your anger, my friend." The herculean duck dodged the attack and threw him halfway across the training room.

The grey duck blinked his good eye and got up quickly, dodging an attack from Grin this time. "It ain't anger I'm lettin' loose Grin, you know that."

"It seemed like a good phrase," was the reply.

"Is this an open party?" A third voice entered the conversation as Drake jumped into the fray. He ignited his own saber and took Grin's place in the sparring.

"Actually Drake, no." Duke blocked an attack. "You just barged in my friend, as if anythin' else is new." After several minutes they ended. Drake plopped down on the floor and rested his elbows on the floor. "How's Wing doing?" Duke asked, sitting down beside him.

"Same."

"One must learn to accept what has passed and continue with the present." Grin sat in crossed-legged position and shut his eyes in meditation.

"I agree with you Grin," Drake replied smiling half-heartedly, "but it's gonna take time. Afterall... Nyra-girl's just come back from the dead."

* * *

Wildwing aimed and shot at the target, trying to ease himself.

He missed. "Darn it!" He punched the wall and shut his eyes.

A small hand clamped over his. "Hey..."

He opened his eyes and gazed down at 'Nyre'. She isn't the same, Wing. Nothing's the same. She doesn't remember who you are. She isn't who she was before. "Hey." He replied trying to smile, and failing to do so. He turned away and began to walk out the door.

"Wing!" came her voice as she followed.

He spun and stopped her. "Don't," he said stiffly. She eyed him with a mixture of emotion showing in her eyes. He looked away. Why did this have to happen. Stars... her eyes... they are what they are: wWide open windows to her emotions. They give her away too quickly... and as much as I'd hate to admit, I wish right now they didn't. This is too...

Seeing she could do nothing she ran out the door, tears forming in her sad eyes.

Painful.

Wildwing sat down and thought for awhile and shut his eyes.


To Return Home, Part Three
Back to Nyre's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction