Return To Home, Part Three

For You I Will

By Nyre

When you're feeling lost in the night
When you feel your world just ain't right
Call on me I will be waiting
Count on me I will be there

This is so hard. Nyre glanced up at the sky as she sat on the roof. The stars were shining bright even if the lights from the city were doing just the same. I can't remember anything. None of the memories come to mind. She buried her face in her hands and felt the tears come. I feel so lost. I don't know what to do. Oh Wing....

He stood there in the shadows, watching as she cried. I know I miss her. But... what do I do... she can't remember anything... for all I know the feeling has changed for her. For all I know... she doesn't love me anymore.

But are you going to quit? He winced. His conscience nowadays seemed to have Nosedive's voice. That never stopped you before.

"When?" He asked the wind softly.

When else? When things got rough... when she distanced the time Castel arrived into the family. And how about those other times. Are you going to give up on her when she never did on you?

"No." And he approached the figure crying softly.

* * *

Anytime the times get too tough
Anytime your best ain't enough
I'll be the one to make it better

What can I do? Can someone tell me? Nyre hugged herself, shutting her eyes.

* * *

I'll be there to protect you
See you through
I'll be there and there is nothing
I won't do

"N-nyre...?" She glanced up as two white-feathered hands wrapped around her. Chestnut eyes gazed lovingly down at her. A finger wiped away her tears. "Enough, angel," he whispered, his beak brushing her forehead lightly. "Enough crying. I don't want you to cry anymore." She hiccuped. "Please."

"Okay," she whispered in return, hugging him tight.

* * *

I will cross the ocean for you
I will go and bring you the moon
I will be your hero, your strength
Anything you need

"I don't know about this Wing..."

He touched her cheek gently. "Don't worry about it, angel, it's only a press conference. Just be a smart alec, like Dive."

She frowned and narrowed her eyes mockingly. "Are you sure?"

"Yes..." He paused. "But not too much like Dive okay? I get enough of that from Cas."

"Affirmative," she replied, mimicking Mallory. Seconds later she got a playful punch on her shoulder; she blushed when she saw it was Mal.

"Let's go."

* * *

"A question for Nyre." She nodded at the reporter who smiled. "Ms. Leviste, there have been rumors that you have... slight amnesia?"

She glanced to Wing and the others before she nodded. "Yes I have."

"Is it causing any difficulty for you and the team?"

"No." she replied softly, "it isn't. Things are fine."

"Is there any chance of you returning to the music business? Before your... disappearance... you made several commitments, do you intend to push through with these?"

"Well, I still sing, I still play. All that is lost to me right now are memories, but my abilities are in full. I assure you that in due time I will push through with these commitments." She leaned back on her chair and felt Wing give her hand a gentle squeeze.

* * *

I will be the sun in your sky
I will light your way for all time
Promise you
For you I will

Nyre walked the hallways late that night when she was pulled into the comforting warmth of Wildwing's arms. "You're awake, angel?" He kissed her tenderly.

She smiled. "Yes, baby. Got a problem with that?" She gently rubbed his neck and kissed him back.

"Actually, yes. Considering that you have a busy day tomorrow." He brushed away a few strands that fell into her eyes. Things are at least... better now. We can do this.

"Wing..." She hugged him and hummed a tuned softly.

"He pulled back and gazed into her eyes. "Did you...?"

"What?" She asked. "Was it something...?"

"You were humming our song." He touched her cheek.

"It's been bugging me the whole day... I've been waiting for someone to tell me what it means. Do you think...?"

"Yes." He hugged her again. "Now," he ran a hand through her hair, "let's get you to bed, angel."

"Yes sir." And she kissed his cheek lightly before heading to her room.

* * *

I will shield your heart from the rain
I will let no harm come your way
Oh, these arms will be your shelter
No these arms won't let you down

"Ms. Leviste! Ms. Leviste!"

Nyre's eyes widened as a mob of reporters began to chase her out of the studio. God. No. Not now. She sprinted off, but some had cars and they tailed her, asking questions. She caught sight of Duke as he got off his duckcycle, Wing, Dive and Drake with him.

"Wing!" she screamed and flew into his arms.

"Ms. Leviste! Just one more question!" A reporter came close.

"NO!" Wing boomed, causing the smaller man to back up several steps. "Can't you stop this! You're hounding her! Go away!" He quickly put Nyre in front of him on the cycle and after giving Duke and the other two a nod, sped away.

* * *

"It's okay now..." He tried to comfort the girl before him. The situation he was faced with now was so different from those before. Nyre before used to stand tall and yell at those reporters. He recalled a fond memory of her calling Captain Klegghorn at one time which made all the reporters to flee at the mention of the word 'sue'.

* * *

If there is a mountain to move
I will move that mountain for you
I'm here for you
I'm here forever

Nyre sat in the Ready Room, a cup of hot chocolate in her hands, the tv set on and on HBO.

"Hey." She glanced up to see Wildwing leaning on the doorframe and eyeing her with one of those... looks. "It's three in the morning. We have practice at seven, get some sleep."

"How about you?" she asked, a tinge of mockery in her voice. "It's not as if you're sleeping."

He sighed, and made his way to sit beside her. "Phil called. Couldn't sleep after."

She made a face. "Awww, he wants you to do another 'thing' I assume?" He nodded. "Can't you talk him out of it?"

"That's usually your special skill."

"Oh." She stared into her cup and stayed quiet.

She's thinking again. She's trying to remember.

"And you're trying to analyze the situation again," she commented, cocking her left eyebrow. "I know when you're thinking it, Wing, call it a seventh sense."

"Wait... seventh?"

"Uh-hm. My sixth sense tells me the team is eavesdropping as we speak."

"Dive!" The two smiled as they heard several swatting sounds.

"What did I tell you?" The couple stood and turned to the group of ten who smiled at them sheepishly.

"It was their idea." They all said it at once. Mal was pointing to Dive and Castel. Castel was pointing to Dee and Dive, Dive was pointing to Grin and Duke, who were in turn pointing to Tanya. Ace and Hacker were pointing to Mal, Dee and Dive, and Drake who simply shrugged.

* * *

I will be your fortress, tall and strong
I'll keep you safe
I'll stand beside you
All along

Nyre opened her door a few seconds after she heard a knock. Glancing to the right then her left she shrugged, but a rectangular box caught her eye as she looked down. Picking it up she began to read the card place underneath.

I know you can't remember anything. But I hope this will help at least a little. Here's a home video we fixed up once, the whole team, I mean. It's one of your performances, the biggest one you had. And here's the necklace you left for me when you decided to sacrifice yourself for the sake of everyone else. I remember the words you told me then when I beeped you on the comm and told you to come back:
"I can't. I'm doing what I have to for the team's sake. One life isn't worth sacrificing the whole of Anaheim. You can carry on without me. Stop Dragaunus. I'm doing this for the family I want to deserve. For those I now call brothers and sisters. For my daughter who still needs to live life and make up for what she's missed. For the one person who'll forever keep my heart in his hands. Keep the necklace, Wing. Until I return home."
You left this necklace for me. To explain where it's from since you don't remember, your mother gave it to you. It's the last thing she left when she... died. Wear it again Nyre. I love you.
    ~Wing

* * *

I will cross the ocean for you
I will go and bring you the moon
I will be your hero, your strength
Anything you need

Nyre switched on the VHS player and started watching the video.

A scene came before her. The date read February 13. A girl had her back to the camera. She was dressed in a long blue dress with her hair tied in a half-pony. She turned to the camera and stuck her tongue out.

That's me.

"Okay, here goes nothing!" She winked. And stepped out on the stage.

The next scenes seemed so familiar to Nyre. Of course... you lived this. She knew what songs were about to be sung or what dance move came next. If only I could remember more, she thought as the video came to a close.

* * *

I will be the sun in your sky
I will light your way for all time
I promise you
For you I will

Drake one's alarm suddenly went off as they started to gather in the Ready Room.

"Lizard face is attacking a major corporation downtown!" And the whole field team raced to the Aerowing.

"I'm coming with you!" Nyre grabbed Wildwing's arm to catch his attention. She had donned her battle gear and her in her eyes was the determination to go with them.

"No!" Wildwing swatted her hand away. Her eyes widened in shock. Realizing his actions were harsh, Wing pulled her close and whispered tenderly, "I can't allow you to put your life on the line. Not this time. You haven't finished re-training yourself. I won't lose you." He stared into her eyes and she knew he meant it. "I love you. Don't worry." He kissed her and left her standing.

As the engines began to sound she narrowed her eyes. I'm sorry, Wing. I'm coming too.

* * *

For you I will lay my life on the line
For you I will follow, for you I will die

"Die wretched human!" Wraith began forming a fireball. "Dee, watch out!"

The human smiled at Nosedive. "Thanks, Dive!" He eyes widened as a hunter drone came from behind. "Dive! Duck!" She called out and shot an explosive puck at the robot. Dive gave her a thumbs-up sign and ran off to help the others.

"You okay, baby bro?"

"Fine, Wing."

"Let's kick some scale."

"Hey! That's my line!"

"Whatever, baby bro."

* * *

Inside the Aerowing the door to one of the larger compartments flew open and Nyre crawled out. Now or never. She grabbed her pucklauncher and headed out the door.

* * *

With every breath, with all my soul
I'll give my world
I'll give it all
Put your faith in me and I'll do anything

Dragaunus sneered and appeared from behind Wildwing and slashed his tail at the drake's back. Wildwing stumbled forwards taken by surprise. "You accursed duck!" His eyes blazed with fury. "Now you die!"

"WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!" Someone jumped Dragaunus from behind and dug a switchblade into the Saurian's shoulder.

* * *

I will cross the ocean for you
I will go and bring you the moon
I will be your hero, your strength
Anything you need

Nyre?! Wing's eyes widened in recognition.

"Momma!" Castel's voice rang out in shock.

* * *

I will be the sun in your sky
I will light your way for all time
I promise you
For you I will

I will, I Will, I WILL.

Nyre clung onto the lizard as he lashed about, trying to get the petite figure off him. She dug her blade deeper. "Easy now, let me con... cen... trate!" she screamed as Dragaunus flung her halfway across the room, the blade slipping from where it had been inserted.

"NO!"

* * *

I will cross the ocean for you
I will go and bring you the moon

Dee, Mal and Tanya cried out. Grin pushed Seige off but was taken on by several hunter drones. He called out to Duke and Drake who nodded, understanding his message.

* * *

I will be your hero, your strength
Anything you need

Duke and Drake each tried to catch her... they failed.

Castel immediately lashed out at the Chameleon who was taken by utter surprise and tackled him, her hands wringing his scaly neck in her fit of rage.

* * *

I will be the sun in your sky
I will light your way for all time
I promise you
For you I will

Dive shot at Wraith who immediately vanished from sight and returned in a different location while Hacker and Ace were trying to keep Seige's damaging warpath to a minimum.

"Retreat!" Dragaunus bellowed as he clutched his wound, and suddenly... they did, in a flash of green light.

* * *

Promise you
For you I will

"NYRE!" Wing shouted as they all ran to where she lay, a pool of blood forming around her.

"The nail..." Tanya gasped and paled at the sight of a five inch-long nail impaled on Nyre's shoulder. She began to shake and Duke steadied her. "Easy now, sweetheart."

"Get her back to the Aerowing!" Wildwing and Drake both commanded at the same time.

* * *

I promise you
For you I will...

Hold on, angel, Wing thought to himself as they launched into the air, on their way home. Hang on. He touched her cheek as Tanya was wrapping a bandage on the wound when the nail had been extracted. Hang on.


To Return Home, Part Four
Back to Nyre's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction