Return To Home, Part One

By Nyre

It had been about three months since Nyre's untimely death. It was a regular Sunday morning... Dee sat by the window sipping slowly on a mug of hot chocolate. Her eyes shut as she was deep in thought. Duke came up to the petite figure and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Hey there, Whiz, what's up with you?"

"Same thing, Duke..." She sniffled and her lavender eyes began to well up. "I don't understand how you guys can go on normally... I can't." she added the last two words softly, wiping at the corners of her eyes. "She would have been seventeen today Duke. She had it all planned out." She sniffled again, staring into her cup. "That party, where, what time, who to invite. What songs to sing." She glanced up at the grey duck and smiled weakly. "Actually... it was more of a thanksgiving party than a birthday bash. But then... she was always like that."

"Hey, cheer up, kid!" The duck nudged her chin gently and motioned for her to follow him. "Hacker's on the internet and wants you to play a new on-line game with him. I'm game for it... you guys pick the right stuff to play on that thing." The teen smiled and followed.

* * *

"I haven't been here for ages, Drake." Mal smiled up at her beloved Drake Freewind. The two were at the extension of the Anaheim Mall, it had opened recently and had everything Mal and the other girls could ever want. "Thank you." She gave him a gentle peck on the cheek.

"Anythin' for you darlin'." The human smiled and brushed away a few stray red bangs from her eyes. "Hey, look, it's Buzz!"

"Buzz!" The two called to the young boy who smiled and ran over.

"Hey Mallory! Hi Drake!" he enthusiastically hugged the redhead who smiled fondly down at him. "I haven't seen you in a while..." her eyes clouded slightly.

"Sorry Buzz-boy... but you know what happened," she whispered.

The blond-haired teen nodded sadly and hugged her again. A few seconds later he glanced to Drake and beamed. "You've been taking good care of Mallory, Drake, thanks!"

"Hey, you and I know that I love this girl. C'mon..." He tilted his head towards a small café. "My treat, anything you guys want."

* * *

Nosedive sat on one corner reading a comic book. "Dive?" came a soft voice.

"In here, Mookie," he replied somberly.

The human approached him, a sign of sympathy in her eyes. "You okay?"

"No." He sighed and placed down the comic. "It ain't the same, Mook. It's weird. Toffee never comes out of her room anymore, and when she does she's so..."

"Sad?"

"Well, how would you feel if your mom died?"

"Horrible." She sat beside him and pulled her friend into her arms. "How is Wing, like, taking this?"

"He left. But if I know my brother... he's taking it harder than anyone else."

"Keep the faith Dive. C'mon." She stood and helped him on his feet. "Grin's outside looking for you. He and Ace are going around. I think I'll come along. Let's go."

* * *

"Castella...?"

Castel looked up from the picture frame and smiled weakly at Tanya. "Hey Taunny..." She closed her eyes and a tear rolled down.

"Ohhh... Don't cry." Tanya hugged the fifteen-soon-to-be-sixteen-year-old hybrid. "Shhh..." She whispered softly, rocking Castel back and forth.

"Today was supposed to be Momma's birthday, Tan... I was gonna spend it with her... a first for me... and it's never gonna happen." She sobbed. "Dad isn't even around."

"Enough, angelica..." Tanya wiped the tears from the younger girl's eyes and stroked her hair. "Don't cry anymore. Y'know, Wildwing and I spoke before he left the other night."

"What'd he say?"

"He said that his leaving is only temporary. After all... it is the summer time. All he wants is to get away from it all. He loves you just as he still loves your Momma. Nyre was so special to him, and you're all he has left."

"But there's Divey... he's one more Wing has left."

"Not in remembering the girl he loved. You're the only link he has left. You're her legacy to him... in a sense."

"Really, Taunny?'

"Really..." Tanya sighed, "I just hope he's okay... wherever he is."

* * *

Somewhere in Palm Beach Florida...

Wildwing dug his hands into his pockets. Getting away was supposed to make me feel better. Not being around the places and things that reminded me of Nyre... He glanced out into the bay and watched as the water came in and out with the tides. He pulled out the leather cord necklace with the silver cross that hung from it. Nyre...

"Oh yeah... oops I did it again, I played with your heart, got lost in the game... Oh, you think I'm inlove... been sent from above... I'm not that innocent."

A string of applause rang out from behind. The avian turned and caught sight of a small platform stage with a group of teenagers taking a bow. "Thank you... thanks for coming!" The girl in the middle smiled and waved. Wildwing observed that she was small in height, big framed and had long flowing light brown hair, lined with temporary blue highlights. A taller boy, blond with a tall frame helped her down the stage.

A flash came to Wildwing's eyes.

Wing! Don't you dare let me fall!

I won't, now get down from there!

He stepped back several steps and blinked a few times. Nyre... He glanced up back at the gorup of kids. Why did I think of Nyre? He sighed and tried to look away... she looks so much like...

Hey, Bay... what's up? Her smiling face came to mind.

No. Couldn't be. She's gone remember? Gone... dead... there's no difference to it.

* * *

"Yo, Analyn!"

The tiny girl turned her ebony eyes up at her tall friend. She finished tying the laces to her blades and asked, "What, Kevan?" She cocked him an eyebrow. He bent down and whispered into her ear. "Isn't that one of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim?"

"Yeah... so?"

"He's looking at you funny."

"What?" She turned her gaze to a tall duck wearing a dark blue jacket and black pants. On his arm he wore a black armband with the number 66 on it. "Dare ya to talk to him an' demand what he was givin' you the look for."

"Nah Kev, she won't do it. Missy here's too..." The second boy tried to think of the appropriate word. Analyn wouldn't have any of it though. She skated towards the duck.

* * *

"Hey there, mister." The girl smiled up at Wing.

"Yes...?" Wing asked cautiously. What did she want?

"My friends and I noticed you giving me a weird look, what seems to be the problem?"

Even her voice is the same... underneath all that street talk. "Nothing really. I'm sorry I was a bother... you just... Never mind." He began to walk quickly away.

"Just what?" She tilted her head to the side. A definite trait of Nyre's.

"Nothing," he whispered softly.

The girl shook her head. "C'mon, how bad could it be?" Wildwing tried to leave, but she blocked his every turn. "Tell me!" She frowned.

"You..." A sigh. "You look so much like someone I know. I thought you were her."

"Oh." She let him pass. The figure walked down the boardwalk and she skated to his side again. "Why'd you say I looked like her? Where is she?"

"Why do you want to know?" he asked. His chestnut colored eyes reflected a sadness, and her heart went out to him. "She... she disappeared... about three months ago... in an accident."

"Uhm, geez... I'm sorry," she whispered and dropped her gaze. "If there's anything I can do..." She smiled weakly extending her open palm towards him. "If it's worth anything I'm a terrific listener, need someone to talk to?"

Wildwing smiled and nodded in the direction he was walking. "I could use a friend."

* * *

Analyn felt a shyness towards the person seated before her, after all she wasn't used to such nice treatment. He was such a gentleman, so sweet and thoughtful. Whoa, watch it girl, she thought. The dish was served before them. It was pasta... baked ziti with white sauce.

Lyn gave the duck a curious look. "How'd you know I like ziti?"

He smiled weakly and shrugged. "Uhm, lucky guess?"

"She liked it too didn't she?" He nodded in reply. Analyn began to eat and glanced up to see his expression. He was looking at something in his wallet, his eyes had clouded over. When he realized he was being watched, he shoved it into his pocket. "Sorry," he murmured and started on his own dish.

"You're Wildwing, of the ducks, right?"

"You watch hockey?"

"My brother does."

"Brother?" He raised one eyebrow. She nodded. "Kevan. He was the tall blond one who helped me down." She explained. A flash of disappointment passed his eyes. He was wishing that the girl was me. "So... do I really look like..."

"Nyre," Wildwing cut in, supplying the name. "Nyre Leviste."

"Oh. Pretty name." Analyn smiled and ate her food again. "Do you have a picture?" She asked. The duck pulled out the wallet and handed her the pictures. "She's the smallest... the one beside me."

"..." There was nothing she could say. She glanced quickly at her reflection in the windowglass and saw why he was acting the way he was. The resemblance was unmistakable. Except for the hair, she looked so much like Nyre. Nyre had beautiful ebony hair. "She's so pretty... did she mean a lot to you?" she asked, but she covered her mouth when she saw the look of pain that passed his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"It's... alright." He sighed again. "She meant more to me than the world," he told her. "My brother..." he pointed to a shorter duck with blond hair up to his shoulders. "They were good friends. That's how I knew her. They went to the same high school and shared some classes." He smiled fondly at the memory. "A month later... I fell in love with her. She and I... we worked on the relationship. No matter what the media said."

"That's so sweet." Analyn felt a terrible for him. To loose someone so dear... She glanced back to the photograph. There were seven ducks in the team... and seven humans in turn. "Who's this?"

"What?"

"The other female duck... she resembles Nyre... in a way."

Wildwing took the picture in his hands and sighed again at the sight of Castel. "She's... my daughter."

"Your what?"

"Daughter."

"How? Who's the mother?"

"Nyre is."

Wildwing shook his head smiling at the shocked look on the girl's face. "She was genetically engineered by one of our opponents." He explained. "She was created from Nyre's DNA as well as myself." Analyn nodded, finally getting it.

"How come she isn't with you?" the girl asked.

"I... I left on my own. I needed to get away..."

"To forget?" He nodded slowly and shut his eyes, leaning his head on the glass. "It isn't working though. It's just so hard."

"I understand." She smiled and reached over squeezing his hand. He held it in comfort and squeezed it back. "Thank you." He let go. Analyn drew her hand back and swallowed, staring at it. That feeling... it's so strange. That warmth... It's so familiar.

"Are you okay?" He looked at her with concern.

"I'm alright..." She smiled. "Wildwing?"

"Yes?"

"I have something to admit."

"What?"

"Y'see... I've never told anyone this actually... but well, I have amnesia." He raised an eyebrow. "I can only remember what's happened the past... oh, about three months give or take. And the only things I've taken in as my past... what my brother Kevan has told me." She paused, measuring her words. "You probably don't want to hear--"

"Tell me." Wildwing held her hand in his once more. "Please."

She inhaled and began to tell her story.

* * *

Darkness shrouded her, but a candle shone brightly on a table nearby. "She's awake Kevan." A hand went to her cheek and later she was wrapped in someone's arms. "Analyn. That heaven you're alive."

"Who are you...? Where am I?" She asked, her voice hoarse and barely above a whisper.

"Home, sister. Home."

* * *

The next day she gazed at her reflection. Who am I? Why can't I remember this place? She placed her hand on the mirror. Who am I?

"Ana." She looked up and saw Kevan standing at the doorway, clothes in hand.

"Kevan..." She smiled as she received a hug. It was so comforting. "Brother..."

"Yes princess?" He smiled.

"Where are we? What's my full name? How come I can't remember?"

"We're home... here in Florida... the United States?" She nodded. "Second, you're Analyn Jessabelle Garcia, my sister... my younger sister. And third, the..." He sighed, "You must have hit the pavement hard."

"Why? What would I be doing on the pavement?"

"A car almost ran you over." His expression was serious, voice was calm. He pulled her into his arms. "I almost lost you."

* * *

"That's everything. Kevan explained that I was his sister. He even showed a picture of us when we were young."

"Your memory?"

"It hasn't returned. I try to remember sometimes..." She smiled wistfully. "I..." she reached under the collar of her shirt and pulled out a silver chain. "I only have this." She pulled forward a silver ring. It was beautifully made. The twisted part of the metal made it look like a symbol of water... the two small sapphires on each side shone just as bright as the sea.

She turned her eyes on the male duck who leaned back on his chair, a look of disbelief in his eyes. Something's wrong. "Are you okay?"

"Y-yes." He stammered. "I... I need some air." He stood and left the café to stand outside. Analyn nodded to the waiter and told him to wrap the remaining food up for take out. After receiving the plastic bag she walked out to stand beside the taller figure. "Hey."

He glanced down and looked away. "Can I ask you a favor?" He paused and thought awhile. "You can say no, I'm not forcing you. But if you would say yes... it would really mean a lot." He glanced back to her.

"Depends," she replied, "on what you're asking."

* * *

"No!" Kevan threw his hands up in the air and turned his back on Analyn. She can't want this. This is insanity. He thought and covered his mouth with his left hand. She is Analyn. She is. He glanced over his shoulder and looked back at her. He recalled the photograph she'd shown him. She and that girl shared a remarkable resemblance.

I can't let her go. Not after I finally found her. He frowned. But what if she is the girl? You'd be keeping her from the life she belongs to, a voice in him suddenly spoke.

True. He sighed. I can't be selfish. "Alright. But I'm giving you one week." He turned back to the giant duck and to his 'sister'. "Take car of her for me, please. She's all I have left."

Wildwing nodded and shook Kevan's hand. "I will. I promise."

* * *

She gazed out the window of the plane, and watched as the world passed by. "Hey..." she turned her gaze to Wildwing who'd just woken from his short nap beside her. "It's beautiful outside." She smiled. "Did... did Nyre get to fly around in planes all the time?"

"Sometimes." He replied. "We usually used the Aerowing." He explained. "It's the team's official plane."

She nodded and smiled. Maybe... maybe I'll start to remember. "Uhm, Wildwing?"

"Yes, Lyn?"

"Will the... team be there to greet us?" She looked expectantly for a yes. He shook his head. "I didn't have time to tell them."

"You didn't want to."

He smiled sheepishly. "I wanted to see their reaction... if they'd react..."

"As if I was her?" He nodded. "Guilty as charged. I hope you don't mind."

She waited a moment then shook her head. "I don't." She paused again. "Do you think they'll like me?" He didn't reply. "I'm just afraid that everyone will be so hostile."

Wildwing reached over and touched her cheek. "They won't. They know better than that." And suddenly, he kissed her lightly on the cheek. Analyn turned away to hide her now flushing face. God in heaven... I wish I was Nyre.

* * *

Castel stood her ground as Nosedive came in for the shot. "Get him Cassy!!!" Mallory shouted from the other side of the ice. He shot. She caught it, stumbling forwards.

"Oooh!" Dive stopped. "Almost had you!" He helped her up. "You've been practicing, Cass."

"Well, I have to. Wing isn't back yet."

"Say no more." All eyes, from the ducks to Strobe turned to the tall figure standing by the door to the stadium. "I'm back." He smiled.

"Wildwing!"

"Yo bro!"

"Wing!"

Castel dropped her gear and quickly made her way to him. "Daddy!" She flung her arms around him and he spun her in a circle. "How's my little girl?" He asked. She smiled, "Fine Wing. I missed you." She hugged him again. Eyes filled with tears. He's home. He's home.

* * *

Analyn stood behind the shadows and watched the touching reunion. So that's Castel. She's so beautiful. Is she... could I be her mom? A pain shot through her head and she fell to her knees with a strangled cry. No. Not this.

"Lyn?"

A gasp. "Mom... momma?"

Then blackness wrapped its cold arms around her.

* * *

Where am I?

A soft humming sounded in her ears. A light suddenly surrounded her. What's going on?

"... for you I will..."

"You love that song don't you?"

"Yes."

That voice... Wildwing?

"I love you, angel."

"Love you too, bay..."

She's coming around. That voice...

Okay... here she is... Wing, you'd better take over.

Lyn?

"Lyn...?" She opened her eyes to see him leaning over and touching her forehead with his hand. "Where... am... I?" He smiled. "She's okay now."

"You gave us a big scare there kiddo." She glanced in the direction of the second voice. A tall, grey duck with a patch over his eye peered at her. He wasn't smiling, but he wasn't frowning either.

Analyn looked around. Everyone she'd seen in the picture was there... Castel caught her eye. She was talking to another human girl who's eyes were a bright shade of purple. She also resembled Nyre in some ways. The hair, the smile... the way she stood. Her sister perhaps?

"Wing, I think you've got some explaining to do." Analyn glanced at a female duck with red hair and green eyes. "Do you ever have some explaining to do."


To Return Home, Part Two
Back to Nyre's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction