Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Eight

"Dude! Is that food I smell? I must be dreaming."

"Nuh uh, cuz I smell it too."

Justin and Chris collided into each other repeatedly while racing down the stairs.

Joey Fatone was in the kitchen cooking dinner. He smirked at the two guys standing in front of him practically drooling all over their shoes. "I take it that none of the rest of you cook?"

"No way!" Chris protested. "I burn everything and all Justin knows how to make is cereal."

Justin shrugged in acceptance.

"What about the other three?"

Justin pulled up a stool at the bar to watch the cook's handiwork. "Nah, Cali's just our guest, Lance is always training or plotting with JC and JC... well, he's either moping around or trying to find ways to get us all killed."

"He spends a lot of time bossing us around too," Chris added. He reached over the counter to try to snag a noodle. Joey smacked his hand.

Justin looked around before responding. "JC is alright and he's an awesome hunter. It's just that he's so distant. The only one he talks to is Lance and then only about mission stuff."

Being semi-serious for once Chris said, "He's a sad, sad man."

"Is that what his deal is? What happened to make him so gloomy?" Joey turned to drain the water from the noodles.

"Well," Justin said, "Lance told us a little about it. Apparently, when Lance found JC he was nearly dead. Lance took him to the hospital and saved his life."

Impatient to get to the good stuff, Chris jumped in, "Yeah, that Emeral guy killed his bestest friend right in front of him and then left him for dead."

Justin glared at his friend, "You, know, you have no tact. I was getting to that jerk-off."

"Well, you sure were taking your time about it."

Joey turned from their quarrel, lost in his own thoughts. So, he's after revenge too. At least I know his motives and goals are similar to mine. It makes me more comfortable being here.

"What about Lance, though? Doesn't he do anything but train?"

Justin looked over at Chris before answering, "You sure you don't want to answer?"

"Nope," he replied. "It's all you."

Justin looked at his friend in doubt but answered Joey anyway. "We aren't sure about him. I mean, he's nice to us and an excellent fighter but when you ask him anything personal he changes the subject. I don't think even JC knows much about him. He is so focused that I don't think he's even thought to ask."

"Yup, I've tried tricking him into telling us something but he never falls for it. I'm determined to find out though. That's MY mission." Chris turned from the counter and drifted towards the Playstation.

"Alright then, what about you guys?"

Justin laughed. "Not much of a story really. I woke up a few months ago to be told I'm a Healer. Dumbo over there is supposed to be my Guardian." He pointed over at Chris who was already absorbed in a video game.

"Ohhh, well, that's interesting. I don't think I've ever met a Healer before. How did you guys meet up with the stiffs?"

Chris yelled, "They saved our sorry butts from becoming lizard chow."

"And Calista?"

Justin frowned and his eyebrows creased. "No offense, Joey, but you sure ask a lot of questions."

"Oh, man, I'm sorry. I don't mean to pry or nothing. I'm just trying to get to know you all better since we're working together and all. You can ask, too. Ask me anything."

"Ok," Justin said thoughtfully. "Um, how long have you been a hunter?"

Joey laughed. "Sometimes I think my whole life. My whole family, well, my dad became a hunter before it became a trend. He wanted to make sure his family was safe. My mom used to say that she thought he had a Saurian encounter and wouldn't talk about it and that's why he became obsessed with hunting them down. Anyway, he taught my brother, sister and me all the ropes. We kinda grew up as hunters."

"That's cool. So, you've never really known anything else, huh?"

"Yup. I looked into a day job for awhile. I was kinda interested in entertainment so I've done some extra and guest spot work in like plays, movies and commercials. I guess that was kinda a hobby for me. But, hunting was always my top priority."

"Hey Joey?"

"Yeah?"

Justin gulped before asking the question that was really on his mind. "Don't be offended or nuthin', okay? And don't feel like you have to answer, but what happened to your family? I heard you talking about it at the club the other night."

Chris, who had actually been listening, paused his game but pretended that he wasn't listening in on the conversation.

Joey ducked his head and took a deep breath. "No, it's alright. Everyone has their demons, right? Um, my family was having this weekend get-together thing because, as my mom used to say, the family never got together enough. They were going to barbecue dinner Friday night but I had other plans. Anyway, when I got home my house was empty and Emeral had left a note on my door."

Joey turned from the bar to stir the sauce, hoping Justin couldn't see the tears in his eyes. "I found them all in the backyard, massacred. My whole family. Every last one; my mom, my dad, my brother, my sister, my nephew... everyone. Apparently, Emeral was pretty disappointed that I wasn't home. He wanted to take out all of us."

Justin looked down at the counter, guilty for having brought the subject up. "I'm so sorry. Man, this Emeral guy is a real prick. First JC, now you."

"Yeah, he's the baddest of the baddies. If he isn't stopped soon, he'll be able to take over the whole East Coast. I just don't know how anybody's going to stop him."

"Well, JC and Lance are sure determined to. That's not even including the Ducks."

"I am too, Justin."

***

"DAMN IT!!" Emeral picked up his trash can and threw it across the length of his spacecraft.

"How come I can't figure out who this guy is?!? ARGH!!"

Just when he was about to throw something else, a tall, slender silhouette appeared in his doorway. "And just where are earth have YOU been!?!"

Nicolette emerged from the shadows and sauntered towards him. "Playing."

"Playing."

"You must have found what you were looking for."

Nicolette nodded and a big grin spread over her face. "Yup, I did."

"Good. I'm glad. Have you decided what you're going to do with him yet?"

"Nah, I'm having too much fun toying with him for now. We'll see what happens from here."

"Just remember who your loyalty really belongs to."

"How could I?"

"I'm just a tad stressed out over this prophecy thing. If I don't find this guy soon..."

"No worries. I have every faith that you'll find him in time."

He smiled mischievously, "You do, huh? That's why you'll always be my favorite."


Go to Chapter Nine
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction