Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Nine

JC sat down, crossing his legs, on the ground in front of Kara's grave. He took off his sunglasses and sat in silence for a long time. He knew he should probably be more cautious since it was late but he had scoped out the area when he arrived.

"Kara..." he sighed in resignation. "I still have a hard time believing that you're really gone. Sometimes I think I'll wake up and you'll be there. I can still remember being five and chasing you up that oak tree in the park." He laughed silently. "What I don't remember is there ever being a time I didn't know you. I don't think I'm coping with it very well at all..."

He pulled out the bouquet of lavender roses and set them down next to the last ones he had brought. It made him feel better to know there were live roses keeping her company.

"I hear Emeral has gotten twice as strong. Rumor is he's in a panic. He thinks the prophecies are coming true. I don't know, maybe they are. I hope not though because I want vengeance to be mine. I won't be able to rest Kara until I destroy him for what he's done to you, to our friendship.

Do you remember the Mighty Ducks? They were good friends. A member of theirs, Calista, is visiting us. Who knew I'd have all these people fighting with us, huh? It's like pieces of some great puzzle are falling together, you know? The only problem is I don't have a picture of what the final piece will look like when it's all connected.

Lance still helps out a lot. He's kinda quiet, though. Doesn't bother me. I hear Chris and Justin complaining about it sometimes, but I figure if he wanted us to know more about him he'd tell us. And I trust him, Kara, I really do. I'm not sure why but I know he has a good heart and good intentions and that's all that matters to me.

It's hard. It really is. I have to convince myself to crawl out of bed every morning. I just want to stay under the covers and pass this living nightmare away. But I know that's not what you'd want.

I feel bad because I know the guys in our little 'group' are uncomfortable around me. Well, maybe not Lance, I think he understands. I don't know what to do. I try to make them feel welcome but I can't open up to them. I just can't. Sometimes I feel like I'm on emotional overload and others I feel devoid of anything whatsoever and all I can think of is what I've put you through.

Want to hear something weird? I haven't told anybody about it because I'm afraid they'll think I'm crazy but I feel different. My eyes never really adjusted after, well, that night. It's almost impossible to see in direct sunlight anymore, but at night I see so much better than I ever could. My nightvision is awesome. Not only that, I'm stronger and faster than I used to be. I don't understand it but I guess I shouldn't complain. I'm going to need all the help I can get. Maybe it was a parting gift from you, you gave me your strength.

I know you're going to be mad at me for saying this, but I still feel so guility for what happened. If it wasn't for my interest in helping out, you'd still be alive. Instead, I'm sitting here at your grave plotting to avenge a death that was all my fault."

When the tears came, he didn't even try to hold back this time. He bent over, held his head in his hands and sobbed.

"I'm SO SORRY!!"

***

"Oh my god, oh my god, what do I do? Chris!?!"

The day had started out normally. Joey had sent Chris and Justin to the grocery store for more food. JC had insisted because they're constant playful bickering was getting out of control. Lance was ready to beat them all over the head. Besides, Joey had already cooked what little they had in the kitchen. Calista just sat in a chair nearby, watching the males complain.

Justin and Chris, oblivious to the fact that the others needed a break from them, were happy to have a chance to get out of the house. It took them forever because they kept stopping to argue a point or start a wrestling match.

"We really do need to get out more, Chris."

"No kidding! I was like suffocating in there. Too many serious people for me."

"Oh, come on, they're not that bad. Besides, what do you expect, it's been pretty rough for them."

"Not Lance. He's just serious to be serious. It's annoying."

"Hey, I like Lance. He can be cool if you're not always trying to prod into his personal business." Justin glared at his Guardian to emphasis his point.

"He could just tell me and then I'd stop."

"Maybe there's nothing to tell. Maybe he's just moody or something."

"Uh huh, and maybe I'm the back-up singer in a famous pop group. Whatever, Justin, you are way too idealistic."

"Oh, don't start pulling out the big words on me. You probably don't even know what that meant!"

"Do too."

"Do not."

"Uh huh."

"Nuh uh."

Chris stopped Justin in mid-step and pointed across the street to where a young duck was trying to cross.

"What?" Justin asked confused.

"Call it a hunch."

Justin watched in horror as she took a step into the street, ignoring the diesel truck taking a left turn. "HEY LADY!"

She looked up but Justin was not what she saw.

"Crap!" Chris yelled and took off towards her.

The truck driver slammed on his breaks, knowing that he didn't have enough time to come to a complete stop. He looked away as he skidded into the pedestrian. After parking the truck, he jumped out of his seat and around the front to see if she was alright. He immediately looked away.

Chris and Justin ran towards where she was laying but was stopped by the driver of the truck.

"You guys don't want to see that. She's dead."

Chris pushed him to the side and immediately regretted not listening to him. "Oh God! She's tore up." He forced himself to move closer and realized she was still breathing. He could see her chest heaving up and down.

"Justin, she's not dead!" Chris looked back at his friend standing on the sidewalk, frozen in shock. His eyes were so wide Chris was afraid they were going to pop out of his sockets.

"You've got to do something, J."

Justin looked up from the duck to his friend. "I...I...don't know what to do."

"You've got to try. It's now or never right, Jus. Come on, I know you can do it. I don't want to think that we've went through all this for nothing."

Justin slowed inched to where the female was sprawled in the street. He bent over her, uncertain of himself.

"Oh my god, oh my god, what do I do? Chris!?!"

"Just try, Justin. No one can ask anymore of you than that."

He nodded and looked down at her. He placed his hands on her chest. He could feel her chest rising in sharp motions. Her breathing was harsh and forced.

He closed his eyes. I'm a Healer. I'm a Healer. Remember what JC said, it will all come to you when you need it. He took a deep breath and then reached out with his mind.

He jerked away as soon as he felt himself being pulled into her.

"Justin, what is it? What's wrong?" Chris look down at his friend in concern.

"Nothing, nothing." He put his hands back on her and tried again. This time he did not pull away. He could sense her internal systems and in his mind he was surveying and inspecting, looking for anything wrong. The first thing he noticed where the broken ribs. He concentrated his thoughts on them, forcing a picture of what they should have looked like into his mind. He gasped when he sensed the bones working themselves back together. When they were completed, he went looking for other things. Internal bleeding, damaged organs, concussion. He did not stop until he had fixed every last bruise.

Exhausted, he pulled his hands away from her and sat down.

The truck driver gasped. "How...how did he do that?"

Chris looked over at smiled. "He's just got the magic touch, man."

She started to stir and then opened her eyes. "What happened?" She looked over at Chris and Justin in confusion.

"You stepped in front of something a hundred times your size. I wouldn't suggest doing it again." Chris helped her to her feet and then went over to check on his friend.

"Are you alright, Justin?" He looked weary and wore down.

"Yeah," he smiled, "I think I'm going to be fine."

"Congratulations, J-man! You just saved your first person.. er, duck. How does it feel?"

"Like I just got hit by a truck."

Chris helped Justin to his feet and they left, leaving the driver and duck behind them discussing what had happened.


Go to Chapter Ten
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction