Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Seven

They waited across the street from the building for JC's signal.

"Are you sure this is entirely necessary?" Chris whined.

Justin and Lance looked over at him in disgust.

"Aren't you tired of running away all the time? Personally, I'm ready to beat some lizards down." Justin rubbed his hands together in anticipation.

Chris looked down at the sword on his hip. "It would be a shame to put all that training to waste."

"You've got that right," Lance stated matter-of-factly.

"Don't you guys know the meaning of BE QUIET!?!" JC hissed at his comrades.

Lance and Justin threw a dirty look at Chris as if to say it was all his fault.

"What? Don't even try to pen all that on me."

"Shhh!" JC whispered fiercely and pointed at a young, female duck walking intently towards the club. He motioned to be silent as he began to cross the street. JC strutted confidently behind Lance as the last two glanced at each other in fright and expectation.

Lance lingered behind enough to allow the duck to enter the building without realizing she was being followed.

"Alright, I hear this gal's a handful but remember she IS a hunter and she might be in over her head with this one. Whatever you do, control your tempers and don't let her get to you. Are we ready?"

JC and Justin nodded in acknowledgment as Chris said, "It's now or never."

Lance turned to the door and walked inside to see the huntress confronting a room full of Saurians.

"You think to bring your scrawny, pale-feathered, girlie self up into my club and threaten my business? I'm not exactly sure you understand what you're dealing with!"

The duck snatched a silver saber from her belt instanteously. "I think you're the one who doesn't understand. I'm here to deliver a message to your boss, Emeral."

"Listen, missy, I'm feeling charitable this evening and I'm giving you the option of walking out of here alive." The manager bared his fangs in emphasis as the twenty other aliens in the room followed suit and rose from their places to advance on the newcomer.

The huntress looked around her. More Saurians were entering from the back of the club and suddenly she wasn't quite so certain of herself.

"What's the matter huntress? Bitten off more than you can chew?"

Lance chose this moment to clear his throat, "I think her odds have just improved."

Calista turned to face the new voice in confusion. She frowned when she realized that the others had not trusted her enough to handle this on her own.

The Saurian snarled in aggravation, "Have it your way then!" He proceed to lunge at Cali. She casually stuck out a foot, tripping it, while swiftly sending another into the wall behind her.

JC grinned at her skill and flipped his lazer gun out of the pockets of his trenchcoat as Lance's saber miraculously appeared in his hands. Chris drew his sword and Justin lifted the crossbow Lance had recently shown him how to use. Justin took a spot in the corner of the room so he could aim while Chris kept any lizards from getting close to him.

Calista wreaked havoc, downing her enemies left and right with a smooth, assured precision. "I'd suggest you think before messing with one of the best," she suggested while trashing the last of her attackers. Then she stopped in mid-thought as she caught JC and Lance from the corner of her eyes. JC was boosting Lance up onto his shoulders as some of the aliens came at them and Lance pushed off, doing a flip over the bunch then landing behind them just long enough to slice them in half.

One of the creatures noticed Cali's distraction and decided to take advantage of it. When he advanced on the huntress she spun around and before she could react she found the Saurian impaled with an arrow from Justin's bow. Calista smiled in thanks to the young man in the back corner. Justin held up his hand in return and then immediately reaimed.

Chris watched in amazement as all of his training kicked in. He felt a boost of confidence and his agility sharpened. "For once this Guardian gig pays off," he smirked and then spun around before attacking the next foe.

"Stop showing off, Chris!" Justin hollered at him in between shots.

"What? You're just jealous that you weren't blessed with all these goodies. I've never been so fast!" Chris ducked down and motioned for the next lizard to move closer.

"Just remember, I can't heal you if you're dead!"

"Details, details." Chris smiled.

It wasn't much longer before the group had cleared the club. Nothing but a few scales remained.

"That outta give Emeral a taste of his own medicine." Calista turned to the guys who had helped her. "You do realize I had that under control," she said in a defiant way, "Duke and Wildwing had no idea what they were talking about if they thought I needed backup! I was handling it just fine." Calista felt defensive because her companions had not trusted this job to her.

Lance stepped forward, "Yeah, I know, but this way was faster, huh?" Lance had no desire to offend the duck. He extended his hand, "My name is Lance Bass. Or you can just call me Lance."

"Bass? I heard you were killed by Emeral."

"Rumors can be nasty."

Calista took Lance's hand, "I'm Calista Acarya."

"I've heard of you too. You must be one of the new members of the Mighty Ducks. It's an honor."

Calista looked over Lance's shoulder to take stock of the rest of his company.

Slightly ashamed of not having done so earlier, "Oh, Cali, this is JC, Chris and Justin."

She waved a hello. "It's nice to meet you. Thanks for helping out, even though I didn't need it."

Lance grinned, "Not a problem. Anything that hurts Emeral we're pleased to be involved with."

"Well, you came to the right place, because hurting Emeral and Dragaunus is our goal these days."

Lance got a sudden idea but was not sure how comfortable he was with it. Uncharacteristically, he decided that it wouldn't hurt to ask. "Hey, do you have a place to stay? We have room and it sure wouldn't hurt having you around."

Calista wasn't entirely positive how to react or answer right away. She did not really know these humans. But she was also a really long ways away from California since Wildwing had dropped her off and flew back in the Aerowing. However, she had to admit that having these guys on the Ducks' side wouldn't be too bad.

"Ok, I'm in. But only untill the others come back for me."

"Alright. We'll take you back and show you our studio."


Go to Chapter Eight
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction