Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Four

"I can't believe you have a map and you still got us lost," JC looked over at his embarrassed and frustrated partner.

"Well, we're here now."

"Yeah, Lance, but now we're going to have to fight them. The sun has set. Twelve on two isn't the best odds."

"We could always come back tomorrow."

As they stood on the sidewalk debating, they heard raised voices and then a man yell at the top of his lungs.

"Nope, I think we're needed now."

JC tried the front door to discover it was locked. "I guess they don't want to be disturbed." He took a step back as Lance reared backwards and kicked the door open with brute force. JC adjusted his shades and strolled into the common room. Lance walked in behind him with his hand firmly gripped on the saber attached to his belt.

They entered to find five Saurians staring at a table across the room. They turned to face the intruders, slightly annoyed at the interruption.

"This party is invitation only and you two don't smell like the type of people I like to invite to my parties."

Lance looked over at JC, "Aww, and here I thought we were always invited. I'm hurt."

The alien that appeared to be in charge snapped his fingers and the other four descended upon the hunters. A flick of his wrist brought Lance's saber into his hands as JC reached inside his coat for his laser gun. Fighting two at a time, the guys kicked, punched and pummelled their way through the first four to find four more waiting to take their places.

The group leader, confident in his flunkies, sat back at the table.

JC caught movement from the corner of his eye as he removed his gun from his trench coat and fired. He looked over and spotted two advancing on a table in the far corner of the room. Quickly finishing off the two in front of him he made a mad dash to stop them from reaching their destination, leaving Lance facing the one at the table.

"Not bad, blondie, you two just finished off nine of my best. Let's see just how tough you really are." He got up and tossed Lance's saber aside. Fangs bared, he rushed at Lance. Lance shifted his weight at the last second, extended his arm and pounded the creature in the throat. Then he grabbed him by the arm and flung him into the wall. Not wanting to give it any advantage, Lance immediately dove for his saber and attempted to nail him in the back as the Saurian spun around and grabbed his arm.

"It's not that easy, blondie."

He punched Lance in the chest with his other arm, sending the hunter across the room. Lance shook his head and hopped back onto his feet instanteously, just in time to block the advancing lizard. Lance found himself pushing against the creature with all of his might but was losing the fight for distance as it moved a breathing distance of Lance's neck. He attempted to use his legs to push the large Saurian away but it was to no avail. He was pinned against the wall.

"I can't wait to rid the world of another one of these parasites and - even sweeter - a leader of them!"

Lance braced himself and shut his eyes, still trying to push the nightmare away from him enough to make a move. And then a sudden weight was lifted and Lance opened his eyes to find the Saurian laying on the floor beside him - dead.

"Can't leave you alone for a second, can I?" JC put his gun back into his coat.

"I was holding my own, thank you."

JC nodded, "Uh huh. That's what it looked like too."

"Fine, fine. Thanks for saving my butt." Trying to change the subject he added, "Now that that's taken care of who do you suppose was doing the screaming?"

JC pointed towards the table. "I think they're under there. I was going to check it out when I realized you were about to become lizard meat."

"You keep having to bring it up, huh? Can't we just be even?"

JC laughed and motioned Lance to follow him. They walked around to different sides and JC motioned to lift the table at the count of three.

JC held up 1 finger. Lance nodded.

2 fingers.

3 fingers.

They grabbed the table and lifted into way into the air.

"Don't hurt us!!" Underneath the table sat two grown men, huddled together in fear.

The hunters moved the table aside and set it down.

"We're not going to hurt you. In fact, we just saved you a world of hurt," Lance noticed the younger man relax but the older one still seemed very defensive.

"Who are you guys?" The younger man had a head of curly blond hair and wide eyes.

"My name is Lance and that's JC. We're hunters."

The older man with the black spiky hair and dark eyes let out a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness. We were almost alien toast!" He motioned to the younger one to get up and they both proceeded to rise to their feet.

JC, always suspicious, asked, "Who are you, what are you doing here and why are you camped out under the table?"

The dark-headed defensive one turned to JC. "I'm Chris and this is Justin. As to the table remark, we were trying to keep from getting killed. Not that it would've done any good if you two hadn't shown up since the kid is a Healer."

JC finally noticed the sword strapped to Chris' side. "Hey, aren't you from STEALTH? Hiding under a table isn't the best way to protect your friend, Guardian."

"Hey, hey, hey!! We're both pretty new at this. I haven't had much training." He looked down at his sword. "Until a week ago, I had never held one of this things in my life! Now I have to protect this boy from creatures that I didn't even know existed and I didn't get a say in the matter."

Justin looked over at Chris with a hurt expression. "I'm sorry, man. It's not like I asked for this either."

Lance was too confused to follow the conversation any longer. "What are they talking about, JC? Healers? Guardians? I don't get it."

He sighed before explaining, "It's rare, but sometimes when a human saves a certain alien he can recieve the abilities of a Healer as a gift in return for the life he has saved. They're good for hunters to have around because they can cure almost any ailment or injury excluding death itself. They have to have training to be any good at it though. The problem with Healers is that the Saurians can sense them. If there's one within a mile of it the creature can track him down. That's why Healers are appointed guardians. They require to have a bond to a Healer previously chosen for them. These two can't be more than a mile away from each other without taking a risk of the Healer getting captured. However, neither does the other any good if they're killed by twelve lizards in an apartment hiding under a table." JC glared at Chris.

"Listen, buddy! I've had the job for a week!"

Justin jumped into the conversation, "Please don't be mad at Chris. He's a little stressed out. We've known each other since we were kids but he's a little aggravated at being told he has to be a Guardian. I think he would've done it anyway but he feels like his rights have been taken away."

"Irregardless, you're going to end up getting each other killed if you don't get some training soon." JC turned to leave. He was finished babysitting the kiddies. At the door he turned to notice Lance still standing by the new guys.

"JC... we can't just leave them like this. I mean, you're right but I wouldn't feel right not trying to help somehow. I could teach them to fight along with my troops. I'm trying to reconstruct the organization from the previous leader anyway."

"We have a mission, Lance, remember? We don't have time to take on that kind of responsibility."

"It wouldn't hurt to have a Healer around...."

"Yeah, but you forget that he just attracts trouble. We don't have the time..."

"Come on, JC. Think of it as a challenge."

Chris had had enough of them talking about him and his friend as if they weren't there and didn't matter. "We don't want your help then!"

Justin looked down at the floor wishing Chris wouldn't let his pride keep them from getting the help they needed. "Please, we don't know anyone else. We've been running for a week and I don't think I want to run anymore. You saved our lives. We owe you. I'll understand if you can't help us but I would really appreciate it if you would at least consider it. We were sent on the streets a couple of months ago when STEALTH fell apart."

JC had to admit to himself that he felt concern for the 16 year old with the puppy dog eyes and out of control hair. "Well, I guess it won't hurt for now. We'll see how it works out."

Justin smiled and looked over at Chris reassuringly.

Chris loosened up a little, refusing to admit that he was quite relieved to have some help protecting his friend. "Well, I don't suppose you have any video games at your place..."

JC rolled his eyes and walked out the door as Lance laughed. "Come on. We'll take you back to the studio. Welcome to the team."


Go to Chapter Five
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction