Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Five

"Okay, Chris, you have to hold the sword higher than that." Lance sighed in exasperation.

"But it's so HEAVYYY!" Chris made an annoyed face. "Every muscle in my arms feels like it's on fire from slinging this thing around."

"Well, that's part of the problem. You don't 'sling' a sword. You move it gracefully, making clean, smooth strokes. You get used to the weight of the sword, but your arms are never gonna heal if you're slinging it around like a toy."

"Gracefully? What is this ballet? I thought this was supposed to be manly."

"It is. Listen, there's no point in carrying the thing if you aren't willing to learn how to use it properly. It's an older weapon. They didn't opt for the easy way out in those days. They worked hard to master the few tools they had. An excellent swordsman is worth much more than someone who only knows how to pull the trigger on a contraption they only half understand."

Chris nodded in understanding. "I know, Lance, it's just I'm so tired..."

"I know, you didn't sign up for this. You're going to have to get over that Chris. Life has handed you a major responsibility. You're right, it isn't fair that they didn't ask you first but, think about it, would you trust anyone else protecting your friend?"

Chris looked over where Justin and JC were talking and frowned. "I suppose you're right. I mean, I would do anything to keep Justin safe."

"And that's precisely why they chose you for the job. Come on, let's get back to sparring. We don't have any time to waste."

***

"To be completely honest, Justin, I don't know if there's anything to teach you." JC and Justin sat in Lance's office going over their options. "From what I understand, it's a natural thing. You just go to do something and it happens. It's an ability given to you, not something learned."

"I know, but I just don't want to be in a situation where someone needs my help and I'm not able to do anything. I mean, Bang!, you're a Healer but now what?"

"I understand you're concern, but I think you'll be just fine. When you're needed you'll know what to do. However, if it will make you feel any better I do know someone who can give you some insight. I had to work with her a couple years back. She's been a Healer for over ten years. One of the oldest ones out there. I've left her a message asking her to stop by and talk to you. She should be here sometime this week so try not to worry."

"I don't think I've had a worry free moment since I woke up on my 16th birthday." Justin's sad eyes looked out the glass window to watch Lance and Chris training. "And Chris. I feel so guilty about putting him through this."

JC understood the emotions involved in getting such a huge responsibility so quickly and he felt for the young man with the tortured face. "Justin, you can't change things now. They chose you for a reason. They knew you could do the job. It hasn't been easy for anyone since word got out that Saurians really did exist. It's been a tough year so far. They just keep spreading. It's out of control. Some of us get to choose to fight the onslaught and some of us are chosen. Imagine what would have happened if Wildwing had said no when Canard told him he had to be leader to the Mighty Ducks. We'd be a lot worse off than we are now."

"Well, if he's the 'chosen' one why couldn't he keep this spreading under control?"

"He's only a leader of four other ducks and he does a great deal for those who live on the West Coast but they can't be everywhere at once. That's why people like me took up arms and decided to become hunters as well. Sure, we don't have powers, but all of us have our own capabilities. The prophecies state that a time will come when aliens equal man and men will raise up arms and fight. It's the way it's supposed to be. We need your kind, Justin. As hard as it is to deal with, we humans need all the advantages we can get against these creatures. I know it's hard to think of your 'gift' as a blessing but it is."

"You're right. It is hard to consider it a blessing at all." The fright in the young man's face was enough to tear JC apart. He pulled his chair over to where Justin was sitting and sat down in front of him. Looking him straight in the eye, "I can't promise you much, Justin, but I will promise you this. As long as Lance and I are around, we will keep you safe. And you have Chris as well, who's showing some good potential in his training. However, you're going to see things that you'll wish you had never seen and be involved in things you're going to wish you had avoided at all costs. Lance and I have some big fish to fry and we want you and Chris on the team. But, you have to decide what you want to do Justin. Do you want to use this gift to its fullest extent, helping destroy the creatures that prey on the people around us? Or do you want to go now, continue running and hiding, and hope that this all passes over? Only you can make that decision, Justin, and it's not an easy one."

Justin looked down at his feet in silence, really thinking over what JC was telling him. I don't want to run away for the rest of my life but I'm so scared. I can't even take care of myself. Accepting this means that I'll constantly be in danger and so will my friends.

Resolute, Justin looked up at JC and answered, "If for no other reason than to help keep you guys safe, I'll do it. I couldn't live with myself if I turned away from this. I want to help."

JC smiled and patted Justin on the shoulder. "You had a hard decision to make but I think you've made the right choice. You might want to consider going out there and letting Lance teach you some things. It doesn't hurt to be able to protect yourself in a sticky situation."

Eager to have something to occupy his time and thoughts, Justin jumped at the idea. "Thank you, JC, for listening and understanding."

He nodded and watched Justin leave his office and walk over to where the guys were practicing.

I hope you're making the right choice kid. I hope we all are.

***

Emerel smiled when he felt her approach. "Nicolette, my dear, you mustn't lurk in doorways. Especially when you know I can sense you are there."

A woman with long, curly brown hair and blue eyes stepped out of the shadows. "My apologies. I didn't mean to be rude."

Emerel always had the urge to growl in delight when he looked upon her. She was a much better looking half-Saurian than she had been as a plain human. He had chosen her specifically to be his companion knowing she would blossom into a great beauty and that she was already a great fighter.

"How was your hunt this evening?" He asked nonchalantly because he knew she liked it when he asked about her day.

She pouted playfully, "Disappointing. I can't find my favorite plaything."

"I thought he was following us."

She was still pouting, "He was but before I could make my move he disappeared. And I had it all planned out too."

Emerel smiled and petted her long, silky hair. "It will be fine, we'll find him again. It shouldn't be too hard considered your connection with him."

"I know. I just hate it when my plans are disrupted. I don't understand why he went away. I'm what he wants."

"And that's exactly why he'll be back. You just need to come up with a more elaborate plan for his return."

She beamed ecstatically at the suggestion. "You are so right. I knew you'd make me feel better!"

He looked away when he sensed another presence in the room. Nicolette turned her head around to see what had distracted him to find his assistant standing there patiently.

"I hope you have a good explanation for just barging in here, Krone. You know I don't like to be disturbed." Emerel bared his fangs as if to re-emphasize his power. Nicolette smiled in anticipation, hoping Emerel would show the flunky he was not one to be disobeyed.

"I...I...I know, s-s-s-sir but it's urgent. I was told by Dragaunus to summon you. He s-s-s-said it had to do with the prophecy." Krone looked down at the floor and hoped it was important enough of a message that his temper wouldn't spout off at him.

Nicolette's smile disappeared and she stood by. Emerel looked over at her, "We'll finish this later." He walked right out without another word, followed by a frightened Krone. Nicolette sighed and plopped down in Emerel's chair. "He's always so attached to this war. No wonder I need other things to occupy my time. I really wish I knew why my 'project' has stopped hunting me. Surely, he still cares..."


Go to Chapter Six
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction