Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Three

A couple of weeks later, JC was released from the hospital. He showed remarkable progress in healing and, as amazed as the doctors were, he insisted on leaving. His eyes never quite adjusted to bright light, so Lance bought him some dark shades to make getting around easier.

Lance picked him up from the hospital to take him to the spot where he had buried Kara.

Barely a word was spoken between the two of them on the way there. Nothing really needed to be said.

They walked into the woods behind the cabin and Lance stood back silently as JC kneeled by her grave.

He placed a few lavender roses on the grave as an apologetic gift. Guilt overcame him and he found it difficult to contain his emotions. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me for getting you involved. I promise to avenge your death no matter what the cost. He rose back to his feet and took one last look at the place Kara would rest for eternity.

He turned and walked towards Lance, "I can't thank you enough for all you've done."

"Don't worry about it. I just hope that someone would've had the decency to do the same for me if the tables were turned. So, what are your plans now?"

"I train and then I hunt down Emeral."

Lance nodded. He had expected that answer.

"I can help. Our goals are fairly similar and it wouldn't hurt to have someone to train with. I could teach you a lot of techniques."

JC looked up at Lance, considering his proposal.

"Thank you but I can't. I can't risk having your life on my conscience as well."

"I wish you wouldn't think of it that way. Besides, I'm still going to be hunting them for my own reasons. I just think we'd both stand a better chance united. I know what I'm getting into, believe me."

JC still didn't like the idea but he had to admit the boy made sense. "Ok, but understand that I'm not always going to be able to be there to back you up. Don't go into a fight expecting me to save your ass. I have my own objectives."

Lance held his hand out, "Deal."

JC took Lance's hand and the agreement was made. For the next couple of months they stayed at Lance's studio and trained. Lance taught him as much of his martial arts and weapon training as he could manage and he - in turn - taught Lance a lot of on-the-street training he had learned in the last few months. They found that they made a good team and worked well on the moves that involved both of them. It wasn't long before they were back on the hunt. They kept tabs on Emeral but only attacked the places he wasn't involved with in the beginning. JC was in no hurry to let Emeral know he was still alive. He liked retaining the element of surprise and Lance built up his confidence as they destroyed more and more Saurian residences.

"Well, I think I've found the location to another one. It houses about 12 of them, mostly males. We can hit it this afternoon while they're 'resting'."

JC nodded to acknowledge his leader, "Sounds good. I could use some stress relief. What's the location?"

Lance looked down at his notes. "A slum of apartments out of town. Known for unreputables, imagine that." Lance snickered to himself and walked out of the room to continue his research.

JC decided to do some training in the studio. Kara had been on his mind all day and it worried him to be so distracted. He pulled out the wooden practice dummy and started boxing it in the face.

He drifted away as he carried about a momentum with his punches...

"Man, you're breaking the dummy. Whoa, calm down!"

He came back around at the sound of Lance's voice.

"I was about to call 911 or something. You scared me."

JC looked over at the wooden dummy and noticed he had punched several huge fist-like dents in the wood and had beaten it's head right off.

"I'm sorry. I just got carried away I guess."

Lance smiled, "Well, just remind me to never make you mad. Come on, we have some Saurians to kill."


Go to Chapter Four
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction