Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Two

A figure waited outside the cabin, scoping the area. It seemed to be completely deserted. There wasn't a single sound that night and that made him more cautious than anything else.

They're either here or they've come and gone. Either way, I'm not taking any chances.

He pulled out his translucent green saber and kept his laser gun handy in case he needed to get to it quickly. Still not entirely comfortable with the idea, he edged his way closer to the run-down building.

If I can just get one of them. I'm no match for several together but if I can just take out one at a time then I can sleep soundly. Not that he had sleep soundly any in the last couple of months. Sleep was not something he invited any more. He spent his days researching and hunting down the Saurians and he spent his nights killing them since it was the best time to find them out and about and roaming all over without being noticed. That's the time when they conducted their dirty work.

He placed his back up against the wall and slowly advanced down the shadows. He stopped at the first window he came to. Slowly, he angled his body in order to see inside the cabin. His night vision had long ago set in but it was still hard to make out most of the room. Blackness and shadows dominated and he began to believe that it really was deserted.

Damn! All this way and I still haven't nailed one of those lizards yet. Well, this night has been really productive. I could've sworn they came this way.

As he moved to step away, something caught his vision. He squinted to get a better look at it and noticed it was someone's hand stretched out on the floor. I guess they came this way after all.

Cautiously he moved around to the back door and unhinged the screen silently. There's no sense taking any chances just in case they left someone behind. He didn't think they had though because there didn't seem to be anyone else around for miles.

After several minutes he convinced himself it really was deserted and proceeded to the main room to check on the person he had seen there. He lit a lantern on the table in the entryway but was not surprised to find a body lying in front of him. He raced to her and grabbed her arm to check her pulse. He lowered his head and noticed her skin was cold to touch and there was no heartbeat. He had seen these too many times now to get emotional but he couldn't help but feel for the life she had lost. She was a beautiful, tan feathered, slim duck with shoulder length black hair that cascaded down her in waves.

I was too late...again. I'm always too late.

He felt utterly useless and knew there was nothing more to be accomplished that night. The first rays of sunshine started to seep through the cracks in the cabin walls.

As the sun illuminated the room, he began to take in his surroundings. The cabin was very bare as if the occupants had been rushed into hiding. There was very minimal furniture. His inspection stopped when he noticed the second body on the floor across the room.

He hopped up onto his feet and walked over to check on him. It was a male, around 6 feet with brown hair. Realization dawned on him when he saw the crossbow laying in the corner and Saurian footprints that brushed away some dust on the floor.

So, that's the story. He's a hunter. This man brought Kara here to hide after the raid, but they were found.

He had no hope whatsoever for the young man but he reached down to check his pulse anyway. His skin was cold to touch and the newcomer almost pulled away but decided it never hurt to be thorough. He almost jumped when he felt the faint thump of a pulse on the man's wrist. In renewed vigor, he turned the body over and attempted to give the man CPR.

Come on, man, come on. Don't let this beat you. You've lost so much blood...

He picked him up and carried him towards the exit, hoping that this would be the last time he decided to run off alone like that. He took a second and glanced down at the duck. I can't just leave her out like that. I'll get this man to a hospital and then I'll come back for her.

***

JC opened his eyes and immediately brought an arm up to shield his eyes from the light overhead.

"So, you did wake up after all. You're quite the fighter."

JC couldn't focus his eyes, the light was too blinding. "Please," he said weakly, "the light..."

The visitor frowned at the reaction but shut out the light in the room anyway. "I hope the nurses don't yell at me for doing that."

"Kara...?"

JC's vision started to come into focus and he surveyed the man standing in front of him. He was tall with spiky brown hair with bleached tips and bright green eyes. He looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"So that's her name? She didn't make it. I went back and buried her outside of the cabin."

JC turned his head towards the window and tried to suppress all the emotions that seemed to want to burst out of him.

"I'm sorry, man. By the time I found you guys... Well, you shouldn't even be breathing. You're one lucky guy."

JC reached up to the wound on his chest but it had been bandaged up.

"The doctors said it was a miracle you were still alive since you were drained of almost all blood."

"Lucky me." JC knew he should be grateful just to be alive but he couldn't help thinking about Kara.

"How did you find me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, my name's Lance. I'm a hunter. I've been tracking the Saurians who attacked you for months now. I guess I should be pretty good at it then, huh?"

"You've been tracking Emeral? You must be pretty sure of yourself to do that on your own."

"Well, I'm not tracking Emeral exactly. Although, I'd love to get my hands on him. I just don't think I'd survive that fight without my comrades. I think you're the only one that ever has. No, there's someone else I'm after. I lure the Saurians away from their leader and then I kill them off one by one."

"And Emeral doesn't notice?"

"Well, I'm sure he does but either he doesn't care or he thinks that a henchman who can be killed that easily isn't worth his time any how."

"Oh, I can see that, I guess."

"It's not like Emeral to just kill hunters. He much rather change them to add to his army. You must have made him pretty mad."

"Ya, I guess I did. Now I've got to return the favor." JC remembered Kara's face as Emeral shot her. "That Saurian's got another thing coming."

"Now who's sure of themselves? By the way, so I don't have to keep thinking of you as the-almost-dead-guy.. what's your name?"

"JC."

"JC? You don't happen to be...?"

"Yes, I'm Joshua Chasez and that's why Emeral was hunting me."

"So you're the new hunter?"

"Yes. Aren't you STEALTH's leader?? I don't believe I've met you - I've only just joined... Why did you decide to be a hunter anyway?"

"I have my reasons, same as everyone else who does it these days. Besides, I figure all that training has to come in use someday right?"

"Very true."

"Well, I'm going to let you rest and get some strength back. I'll be back tomorrow to check in. Take care of yourself."

JC nodded. Lance turned to walk out and JC added, "Hey Lance?"

Lance stopped and looked back on the man he had saved, "Yeah?"

"Thanks."

"Hey, one for our side right?"


Go to Chapter Three
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction