Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Nineteen

I can't handle this anymore! Mallory had been biding her time for the last week, waiting for all the reinforcements to come in so that the fight could begin. More were coming in every day but they weren't near ready yet. She for itching for a battle. She was feeling the need to prove herself. At night she went on patrol by herself to release her tension and frustration but also to gather information.

I can't believe the nerve of these people! It's not like they see Mallory McMallard everyday! Mallory had expected much attention and fanfare from the other hunters - Ducks especially - arriving at the compound. Instead everyone wanted to meet JC. "Prophecy Boy.." she muttered to herself. "It's all about Prophecy Boy anymore and I haven't seen anything yet to justify it except that he resembles a Saurian somewhat. I fight Saurians all the time."

She knew it was only jealously, but she couldn't help feeling utterly useless and unneeded. Lance had gone out of his way to express his gratitude in all the Ducks being there and for their help, stating repeatedly that he couldn't do it without them. However, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was only getting in the way.

"I refuse to be considered nothing but an add-on to HIS crusade. I'm going to finish this once and for all!"

She grabbed her gear and headed out of the building.

She had killed several Saurians since coming into town and some of them were very talkative if persuaded the right way. If anyone knew how to persuade a Saurian to talk it was her. During the course of the week she had gotten enough information to locate Emerel's headquarters. She knew she should've reported the information, but this was something she felt like she needed to do on her own, to prove herself.

"Besides, it's just a Saurian. A Saurian with influence, but just a lizard all the same. Dragaunus puts up more of a fight than he does." She wasn't sure who she was trying to convince and refused to admit it might be herself.

***

"Well, Duke has reported that he's gotten inside Emerel's compound. I'm still not sure how he pulled it off, considering Emerel is known to not be very trusting. Irregardless, he says Emerel is planning something big. Duke doesn't know what, but they do know he's been smug the last week and confident in the direction he's pursuing."

Wildwing looked across the table at the two teams gathered to discuss upcoming strategies.

"Does anyone have a clue what he's up to?" Lance asked with a look of concern.

Wildwing shook his head. "No. Emerel's keeping quiet about it and with good reason, apparently."

Calista spoke up, "So what do we do? The hunters aren't all here yet and we're not ready."

"You don't think he knows who I am, do you?" JC looked at Wildwing.

"We don't know. Right now we're assuming he doesn't but we're just not certain."

"So, are we gonna go bust this guy up or what?" Nosedive grinned widely. Justin kicked him from under the table.

"Ow!! What was that for?"

Justin just shook his head, knowing that Nosedive wouldn't understand that this wasn't the time for his humor. It was time to get serious. It had come down to the wire and the dynamite was ready to explode.

"I hate to say this, Wildwing, because I know we aren't ready yet but I think we should be prepared to move at any second. Emerel's army could very well take us by surprise."

"I know, Lance, I know. I'd really like to get Mallory's opinion on this. Where is she anyway?"

Calista was the one to answer. "She never came back from one of her little 'patrols' last night. We don't know where she is."

"Probably found another Saurian to chase..." One of the brunette human recruits said nonchalantly.

"Anya, you know she's anxious not having anything to do around here. She's been running these 'patrols' for weeks now. Give her a break - at least she has something to keep her busy." Lance reasoned with the newbie.

"What? It's not like she doesn't have a history. Besides, she's never been to Florida before, lots of new places."

Lance sighed. "Anya, can you just be quiet?"

"Silence is golden," Grin reminded in his usual calm way.

"Fine! But don't come whining to me if you find out I was right."

***

Buffy grabbed her head to try to rein the pain in and get it under control. What the heck happened? She opened her eyes to find herself locked inside a steel cage.

"What the...?"

She looked up, outside of the cage and noticed she was dangling from the ceiling, pretty high up.

"Well, if my little canary hasn't woken up. How are we this morning, Duck?"

She got up on her feet, steadying herself a moment as the cage began to sway. She walked to the edge and looked down. "How in the world did you manage to trap me up here?"

A dark creature with a long, black tail and firey red eyes looked up at her in amusement. "What? You don't remember? I'm almost offended. I defeat the great 'Puckworld Special Forces' commander and she doesn't remember any of it!"

"Emerel?"

He bowed slightly. "The one and only."

"I don't know what you're talking about, jerk, but do you really think you can keep me in a cage?" Mallory was now furious, not only with being defeated so easily, but also for being caught like a fish in a snare.

"I had considered her strength when constructing your little set-up. You might want to look below you." He pointed below her cage.

With a grumble, she looked down.

"Ever see those factories here on Earth - the ones with the big containers of acid? I happen to simply adore the idea!! I had all this acid imported for a moment just like this."

"Emerel!!! Let me out of this cage and fight me decently!! You can't just leave me here!"

"All in due time, canary. Currently, I have bigger fish to fry. But soon, we'll paint the town red together, you and I. Well, maybe I should rephrase... I'll be doing the painting and you'll be the paint." He laughed giddily.

"I'm going to get out of here Emerel, and then I'm going to kick your butt. Mark my words!!"

"Consider them marked, dear. But, first, I'm going to use YOU to start a war."

"Excuse me?"

"Well, I had been trying to figure out a way to decipher the identity of our Prophecy friend but I just couldn't do it."

"I hope you don't honestly believe I'm going to tell you that?" She said sarcastically.

"No, I knew better, but I don't need that anyhow. You see, I know your team isn't ready yet. You haven't had the time to prepare. Whereas, I, have been ready for years now, preparing constantly for this moment. Your 'hero' just recently found out who he is. I know that hunters - ducks and humans alike - are coming into town but I also know that you've just got started. I needed to start this war before your camp was prepared but I wasn't sure how to bring your side to me...Well, now I know. They're going to come to rescue YOU, the almighty Mallory McMallard. I don't know what possessed you to come and challenge me yourself but it was the best of luck for me."

"Emerel, when I get out of here...."

"What will you do, lil canary? You had your chance for glory and you lost. You LOST big time! You are no match for me and you know it and soon I'm going to prove that the one from the Prophecies, his friends, and anyone who gets in the way isn't a match for me either. Score one for me!" He turned to exit the room, laughing loudly as he did so.

Mallory collapsed, kicking herself for letting her pride get the better of her. Her friends would come for her and she was beginning to think they'd lose.


Go to Chapter Twenty
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction