Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Eightteen

Nicolette looked up at Emeral as he paced back and forth across the room.

"So, what are we going to do now?"

"Oh, I have a few ideas."

"Shouldn't we be trying to track this guy down?" She asked, concerned that he did not take this threat more seriously.

"We have time, Cherished One. Besides, he'll let himself be known eventually. He can't very well beat me without an army now can he?"

She shook her head.

"So, in order to raise an army he'll have to reveal himself....."

She smiled knowingly.

***

Joey looked around the new digs. Compared to the 2-story house in the suburbs, this place was a bona fide mansion.

It has to be. We've got hunters coming in everyday.

In a way, Joey was pleased with the new predicament because it allowed him to greet and spend time with some of the hunters he used to know while running with the family. It also hurt as each of them gave sympathy and remembered how wonderful the Fatones had been. He knew his dad would have been proud to hear all the nice things people had to say and it comforted him immensely.

Joey looked over at JC, who was greeting some newcomers at the door.

It's just too much to process. A few weeks ago he was my friend. He understood where I was coming from and we could relate because we had both been in the business so long. Now... now he's some chosen one. JC is supposed to save the world. How do you come to grips with something like that? And what's my part in this story? Was it destiny that brought me here, to fight by his side? I just don't know. I don't know anything anymore. All I can be certain of is that we're going to do some Emerel butt-kicking and I guess that has to be enough.

Justin and Chris sat nearby watching television. Chris was also cleaning and sharpening his weapon. A sense of urgency had been forced on to all of them.

JC walked over to Joey. "Well that makes about 30 now and the Ducks just started calling some other ducks a couple of days ago. Calista has decided to stay since the other Ducks are coming anyway."

Joey nodded. "It's happening very fast now. How long do you think it will take before Emerel figures it out?"

JC shrugged. "I don't know but it's got to be very soon. We barely have time to prepare anything and screw the element of surprise. How do you disguise hundreds of hunters just 'showing up'? And if word gets out that the Ducks are coming..."

"Yeah, I know. I wish they would get here soon. I don't know why but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with them on the team."

JC laughed, "Me too, man, me too. Hey, where's Lance anyway?"

"Training. A lot of the newbies were interested in prepping up. Lance is in there helping everyone with their moves and giving lessons when people ask. He's been working really hard."

Joey felt bad for Lance. Lately he seemed to be carrying around a sense of impending doom. Joey knew it probably had to do with the fact that it was only a matter of time before Lance had to confront Nicolette again. He didn't envy the man.

The doorbell rang again. "I'll get it." JC said and started for the door.

JC opened the door and a flock of young ducks pushed into the foyer. A young drake with yellow hair yelled, "Never fear! Da Ducks are here!" He smiled as if he was extremely proud of his title.

"Shut up Dive," said a young duck with fiery red hair.

JC held his hand out to the older, white-feathered duck, not knowing who he should address first. "Hello, I'm JC."

The drake took his hand. "Nice to meet you, JC. Please excuse my baby bro, he is a bit hyper after eating a whole box of Sugar Flakes cereal. My name is Wildwing. This is Mallory, Nosedive, Grin, Tanya and Duke."

"Mallory McMallard?" JC asked curiously, extending his hand to the female.

"Yup, the one and only. Are you JC Chasez?" She took his hand. He grimaced as she squeezed tightly to show she wasn't very happy about having a human help out.

"Yes, that would be me, unfortunately. Please come inside. I'd like to introduce you to my team as well."

They walked into the living area where Joey was watching with curiosity. "Guys? This is the Mighty Ducks. Wildwing, Nosedive, Duke, Mallory, Tanya, and Grin. And this is some of my team: Chris Kirkpatrick, Justin Timberlake and Joey Fatone. Justin is a Healer."

Grin shook Justin's hand first, squeezing it unknowingly because of his immense strength, "Nice to make your acquaintance young one."

Justin pried his hand free of the strong grip and looked up at the fairly tall drake, "Uh, nice to meet you too. You got quite a grip there, buddy.."

JC waited a minute for everyone to be acquainted. "The our leader, Lance, is helping with training in the Practice Room. If you don't mind following me, I'll give you a tour of the place and introduce you to him."

"Well, go ahead JC, we'll be right behind ya." Duke gestured, anxious to check out the place he would be staying in for an indefinite amount of time. It may not of been the Pond, but it had to do.


Go to Chapter Nineteen
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction