Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Seventeen

Lance stretched out in the backyard and stared up at the sky trying to puzzle together all the events of the last few months. He couldn't help but think about all the changes in his life since learning about Saurians and meeting JC. He was entirely sure that he liked the direction his life was currently headed.

Sure, I'm helping others. I'm helping get rid of creatures that prey on human beings. That's gotta put me in the book with the good guys, right?

He knew he was doing the right thing but was he happy?

Hell no, I'm not happy!! How could anyone be happy leading a life like this? Killing Saurians, being pursued by soul-sold girlfriends, being in constant fear of what's happening or what could be happening to your only friends, what kind of life is that?

"A hard one." He said aloud, to no one in particular. "A damn, hard life."

He had to admit that sometimes it just wasn't worth it. All the stress, pain and drama...

All I want is to go back before I even knew about this madness. I want to go back to that night and do things differently. I want to be able to propose to the woman I love and her not blast me to smithereens. But, most of all, I want this to be over.

He sighed heavily, the stress of his current situation almost too much to handle.

His team had been doing well, JC's new talents working in their advantage. Some of the Saurians were so shocked at meeting JC that they just stood there making the kill so much less effortless. Joey was just becoming accustomed to JC, dealing with it slowly and in his own way. Chris and Justin made every kill a game, playing off each other, confusing the lizards to no end before trashing them. It was sometimes amusing to see what kind of new gimmick they came up with to fool one.

And me? What about me?

Lance had been keeping his thoughts and emotions very tightly guarded recently and the strain was about to make him burst. He didn't mind the idea of JC being able to read his mind and that they could communicate psychically but sometimes he didn't want anyone in his mind. There were some things he just wasn't prepared for the guys to know.

Like Nicolette...

She had been on his mind often lately. It was all he could seem to think about when he got a free moment.

What am I going to do about Nik?

He knew what Joey's answer would be... "Kill her. She's not your girlfriend anymore." But Lance wasn't sure he could do that. There were times when Lance was sure Nik was gone. That there was no way the girl he once loved could do what she did. Like the night she killed JC. He had been devastated that night.

He knew why she had done it. To get to him. She could have easily overcame Lance right there in the graveyard but she was playing with him. She took the person that meant the most to him and tried to kill him. He shouldn't have been able to forgive something like that...

But she wasn't herself.

Lance practically punched himself in frustration. Of course she's not herself! She's on the Saurian side!! Joey is right, Nik is gone. Why can't I just come to grips with that? WHY???

Because deep down, he didn't believe Nicolette was gone. He could sense her inside the creature that had taken her over. Like the night she ran out of the window... Nicolette had been there. He felt her there. Like the night she attacked JC.. He had felt Nik warning him to run, go back, his friend was in danger.

"But how do you explain something like that to a bunch of Saurian hunters? How do you justify wanting to save the creature that tried to kill your best friend?"

He knew that eventually it would come to head. She wanted Lance, dead or alive, and Lance knew she'd be coming for him. Lance didn't want any of the other guys to touch her. He knew, deep inside, that she was going to have to die and he didn't want anyone to do it but himself.

But how am I ever going to be able to kill her?

In melancholy, he gazed back towards the skies and mourned in silence.

***

"I don't want to sit down. What is it you're trying to tell me?" JC stood looking at his office window, phone cradled on one shoulder.

There was a silence as the caller tried to explain the situation.

"I'M WHAT???" JC yelled.

"You're the 'Processed One', JC. You are the one that's supposed to help us save the world from Saurians." Tanya explained slowly and calmly knowing that this information would not be easy to adjust to.

"First I'm 'Saurian slayer', then I'm the 'Chosen One', now I'm the 'Processed One'. What am I? Swiss cheese???.... I mean, you've got to be mistaken."

"I know it's hard to comprehend right now. Most Chosen Ones have years to practice and let the realization sink in. You don't have that luxury. Emeral is going to make a move soon. He knows you exist and now that some people know who you are it's going to be easier for him to find you. You have to be ready when he does. We're coming down to Florida to help you out. You're going to need all the help you can get. We don't have much time."

"Oh, lovely, first I'm a half-immortal, now I'm some Chosen One, and some day soon it's my responsibility to save the world!!" JC felt like his body was in shock. He was afraid to move that he might break into a million pieces and he set down the phone. Just then he noticed Lance standing in the doorway.

"Man, Lance, you'll NEVER believe this. I mean, even I don't believe it."

"I heard." Lance said, pointing to his head, indicating their telepathic connection. "I couldn't help it. You were under such distress..."

Josh nodded to let Lance know it was okay. "It's no big deal. Makes telling you a lot easier, anyway."

"It's probably not healthy to think of it that day, JC. Just take it one day at a time. Emeral has an army, Josh, AN ARMY. I suggest we look into getting one."

"Oh yeah, let me just pull out the Yellow Pages...."

"This is no time for jokes. The Ducks are going to help in any way they can. We're sending word out to all known hunters. But the more people who know, the more danger you are in. I'm looking into some new headquarters, something bigger. You're going to have company."

The seriousness in Lance's voice brought JC around. "Okay. One day at a time, huh? Well, I've already died twice. Let's see just how many lives this hunter has."

Josh placed his elbows on his desk and his head in his hands. "How am I ever going to tell the other guys? Joey's NEVER going to go for this one. I finally get some of his trust back and now I've got to tell him I'm destined to save the world! This is so ridiculous! I'm a human being, damnit, I can't handle all this shit!"

Lance sat quietly, letting JC vent his frustrations. It seemed there was at least one person with more problems than him although he wished that all this crap would just disappear and they could all live normal lives.

"What are the guys doing now?" JC asked Lance, contemplating whether to tell them all now or wait until the Mighty Ducks arrived.

"Chris, Nosedive and Justin are fighting over who gets next turn on the Playstation. Joey is training."

Lance decided to give his friend some advice. "I think you'd better just tell them now. I'll start looking for a bigger place."

JC thought to himself how wonderful it was to have a friend like Lance in his life. He didn't know that he could've made it this far without him.

"Sure you could have." Lance smiled and headed out of the office.

Josh laughed to himself.


Go to Chapter Eightteen
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction