Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Sixteen

"Yes? This is Duke." He held the receiver to his ear only half paying attention to the caller.

"Duke? This is Lance, from STEALTH."

"Oh yeah, 'ey Lance. What do ya want?" Duke was mildly irritated at the moment since he just got back from a 'great' photo shoot with Phil. However, it was intriguing to him that they needed the Ducks enough to call so often.

"We need you to look into some things for us. We think we might have found The Prophesied One."

"Really? Well, where'd ya find him?" Duke sat down in a chair in front of Drake One, now completely involved in the conversation.

"Actually we have him right here. If he IS the one, we are a little late in discovering it. He believes them to be near-death experiences but if he is the one, well, we know better don't we?" Duke could actually hear Lance's concern at his discovery.

"Well, what is it that has you convinced he could be the one? Maybe he's just one lucky guy." Duke had learned from experience not to bank on something until you were certain it was a sure thing.

"There's the two deaths, you see, and he has also acquired several unnatural, um, Saurian attributes. He has better mobility and agility. He says he's stronger and faster than a normal human and that his natural instincts have heightened considerably. I feel he's holding back other information as well. I don't think it's easy for him to tell other people he is afraid that he is turning part-Saurian. Especially the other hunters like myself."

Duke nodded. "I see. I'll tell Wing and da other Ducks researchin' everything we can find on this so-called 'prophecy' and see if there are any mention of the changes he is experiencin' and then we'll get back to ya."

Duke looked up to notice Wildwing, Mallory and Tanya standing in the doorway. He gave them an ill look expressing his disappointment in their eavesdropping on the conversation.

"Sounds good, Duke. Knew we could count on you."

Duke placed the phone back on the cradle while mumbling, "I bet ya did." He then turned to his 'mice'. "I guess I don't need ta relay too much info to ya now, since you heard the majority of my conversation."

"Does this mean they've found that prophecy guy?" Mallory spun her Pucklauncher on one finger boredly while waiting for an answer.

"They think that they might have. We need to look up any information we can find on The Prophecies. It seems this guy is acquiring interestin' traits. He thinks he's becoming a Saurian but apparently that's not the case since his change would've happened already."

"Great! That's all I need, some human taking our place!" Mallory huffed and plopped down in the closest chair.

"Now, don't be like that Mal. No human'll take our place fer a long time, besides you might like 'im since he's half-Saurian now."

Mallory punched Duke in the shoulder. "Not funny, Duke."

Duke grabbed his arm and chuckled. "Watch it, Mal, ya pack alotta punch in one of those."

"Did it ever occur to you, Mallory, that maybe this guy is around now because we need the help?" Wildwing turned to his shelf and began retrieving books to begin his research.

"No! We defeat Saurians for a reason - my father's army defeats them for a reason - we're not supposed to need any help. Especially from someone who is one."

"Maybe so, but a little help never really hurt anyone and since you can't be there to curb Emeral then maybe it's a good thing that he is."

Mallory huffed again and walked down the hallway, not wanting to admit that maybe he was right.

***

"Well, the Ducks said they would look into it and get back to me. I suppose that's the best I can expect right now." Josh turned towards the window, avoiding his friend's gaze.

Lance sat silently, soaking in all the new information he just received from the call.

"What am I going to tell the guys? 'Oh, by the way, thanks for being there when I came back to life and now I'm half-Saurian and can read your thoughts. Hope you don't mind!' I just don't see that going over very well."

"They'll understand..." Lance began.

"You think they will, huh? I don't know. How am I going to convince them that I'm still me when I'm not even sure of it myself?"

"I think you'd know if you weren't."

"It's just so damn unexplainable! I've been hunting for years, Lance, YEARS! I've never heard or encountered anyone who was only half Saurian or whatever I am. I don't think it's possible."

"It must be if that's what you are."

"God! When will it ever end? Must it always be one horrible thing after another?" JC shouted at the ceiling in vain, expecting no answer in return.

Lance got up and walked towards the door. "I think the sooner you tell the guys, the better. Our suspicious natures are starting to get the best of us and I'm afraid if you wait too long and they start suspecting something that it'll be harder to convince them that you're really who you are."

JC nodded. "Well, let's go get it over with then."

***

Joey glared at JC. This is unacceptable!! I can't believe this! We've had a Saurian living with us for two days now. TWO DAYS!! And here he is, standing in front of us trying to convince us that he's still JC!

"You can read thoughts and stuff. You're a Saurian."

"Maybe it's not as cut and dry as that. I can't explain to you guys what is happening to me because I'm not sure myself. I've called the Ducks and asked them to look into it for me. All I know is that I've almost died twice now and each time I come back with new abilities and/or features." JC pleaded at Joey for understanding. Justin and Chris stood silent, unsure who or what to believe.

"You're not JC! I was here when he died. JC is dead and I will not allow you to wander around wearing his face and pretending to be him. I won't allow you to sleep under the same room as us, endangering our lives and sabotaging JC's mission! I won't allow it!" Joey's face was red with fury. Thoughts of what they had done to his family racing through his mind. He could not tolerate a shape-shifting Saurian to exist, especially under the guise of a friend.

Lance rushed in between Joey and JC. "Stop Joey! You don't understand! Think about what you're doing! It's JC, for crying out loud!"

"No, it's not, Lance, and STOP PROTECTING HIM!! Or should I say it? That's what you are now." Pointing at JC and screaming, "NOT A HE OR A SHE, AN IT! AND I CANNOT SUFFER YOUR KIND TO LIVE!"

Justin spoke up. "Wait Joey! We have to be sure. You can't just rush into a decision like this."

Joey ignored Justin's pleas and pushed Lance backwards to move him out of the way. Justin, in a desperate attempt to stop him, grabbed his arm and tried to pull him away. "PLEASE JOEY! Just wait a minute!"

In his fury, Joey snatched his arm away and the swiped at Justin, catching him across the cheek. The impact of the punch threw Justin across the floor.

"Hey!" Chris hollered, reaching for his sword.

"No! Stop it!" JC hollered at them, not wanting any of them to get hurt because of what he may or may not be.

"I've had enough of this!" Joey rushed forwarded and grabbed JC by the shoulders. Before JC could react, Joey threw him backwards and through the front screen door. He landed on the porch. Joey spotted a huge patch of sunlight at the bottom of the porch's stairs. Not hesitating, he lifted JC off the ground and threw him into the front yard.

"Now this will be settled once and for all!" Joey crossed his arms in anticipation and waited to watch the intruder suffer.

Lance, Justin and Chris dashed out onto the porch, fear all over their faces. Lance tried to push past but Joey held him back. "Don't you dare, Lance. I'm getting sick of you protecting them. First that Nicolette chick and now him. I'm beginning to wonder what side you're really on!"

Lance's face turned bright red in anger and he forced himself to step backwards and remain calm.

"Look!" Justin shouted and pointed at JC. "He's okay...uh, fairly"

Lance looked over at JC and found him squinting in the bright light. This time pushing Joey aside, he walked down the steps and offered JC his hand. He took it and rose to his feet, brushing off the dirt and gravel from the driveway after replacing his sunglasses, which had fallen off.

"Did I not tell you that I'm NOT a Saurian? Geez!" He knew Joey would be upset but he hadn't known just how much. "I'm sorry, Joey, for what happened to your family, for what you have to do now, and for what I know looking at me reminds you of. I cannot change that. I don't know what's happening to me but I do know that I'm still JC. I'm the same Joshua Chasez who plans to take down Emeral and his army and help rid of the world of Saurians. I can just do different things now."

"You know?" Chris added, excited at his new thought. "This is going to give us more of an edge. If he's as strong as a Saurian, fighting them should be a cinch!"

Joey stood quietly, trying to muddle through his thoughts and emotions.

JC, do you think he's going to be okay with this? Lance thought forcefully at JC.

JC smiled at Lance, happy that he was going to be able to come to terms with their newfound form of communication. I'm not sure, Lance, but I hope so.


Go to Chapter Seventeen
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction