End Game

By Nightbloom

Part 1: Memories

Nosedive kicked a can across the sidewalk and looked up at the sky. He could see the moon through the lights, shining as dimly as possible. He shook his head and looked back at the floor, slowly walking along feeling sorry for himself.

Suddenly he heard a crunching sound of broken glass. He slowly turned around, but there was nothing there.

Nosedive shook his head in puzzlement, but remained still, listening. He could hear nothing. Giving one more quick glance around him, Nosedive proceeded to walk.

Crunch.

There! Nosedive whirled around and found himself face to face with something tall and dark. Yellow eyes looked from underneath a hood.

With a sharp gasp he began running. The dark creature morphed into a shadow and chased him down the dimly lit streets.

"Wildwing!" he cried out in terror. "Wildwing, Duke! Grin!"

Up ahead he saw his team members, standing around Canard. They all turned to look at him and then turned away, dismissing him as if he were not worth their troubles.

Nosedive cried out as the shadow reached out and grabbed hold of him. "Let go! Let go!"

Then there was a sense of falling, as Nosedive shouted out in fear.

"Omph!" Nosedive opened his eyes and found himself on the foot of his bed, wrapped up in damp bed sheets. He sat up, his breathing coming in harsh pants. "Oh, man, another one," he said, closing his eyes and leaning back up against the side of his bed.

He wiped away the sleep from his eyes and glanced at his clock. It read 3:30 am.

"Oh brother," he thought out loud. Canard was going to be coming for him in two and a half hours. With a groan, Nosedive pulled himself back up on his bed.

These private training were torture, but there was a difference in his performance. For one thing, Nosedive could last the whole game, and fared better at defense than offense at the moment. But he wanted to be back in the front again, and no matter how much of a pain it was, he was going to put up with Canard's training.

Nosedive closed his eyes and tried to go back to sleep. But shadowy images and a voice made it difficult.

"I am sorry to use you like this. But we of the Saurian Code always use whatever means are necessary to get the job done."

X

Canard cleared his throat.

Nosedive looked up.

Canard narrowed his eyes as he took in Nosedive's appearance.

The young duck had dark circles under his eyes, and he looked dead on his feet.

"Are you feeling all right?" he asked.

Nosedive nodded. "I feel fine. Why?"

"You just agreed to go bungee jumping off the San Francisco bridge."

Nosedive felt his cheeks go red. "I'm sorry. Maybe I am a little sleepy."

"You haven't been getting enough sleep at all," Canard stated. "Go back to bed."

"But we have another game in two days! Last game of the play-offs!"

"And you're absolutely no use to us if you drop dead in the middle of the game. Go get Tanya. Maybe she has something that will let you rest."

Nosedive nodded, looking doubtful. Sleep? With my nightmares? Yeah right.

X

Nosedive knocked on the door to Tanya's lab.

"C'min," he heard her mutter, somewhat distractedly.

Nosedive entered the room and spotted Tanya working on some small black squared device.

"Oh, it's you!" she said enthusiastically. "I've been modifying the controls of the training room so that you personally could, like, adjust the level of difficulty on your own. You know, gradually working your way up."

"Thanks," murmured Nosedive, as Tanya pressed the black box into his hands. "But I came to ask you something, that's if, you'll, uh, listen to me."

"Sure! Ask away."

"I've, well, I've been having some dreams, nightmares, really, and I think they may be, uh, . . ." Nosedive struggled for the words he needed.

"Repressed memories?" Tanya suggested, realizing where this conversation was headed.

Nosedive nodded. "I was wondering, if you knew how to, uh, help me remember them."

Tanya bit her bottom lip. "Oh, gee, I don't know. That really needs the hand of a qualified psychologist, but if you really want me too, I can give it a try. Although maybe Grin has the meditation technique you need."

Nosedive nodded again. "Yeah, I suppose so. It's just that, I'm really tired of not knowing whether my dreams occurred or are just figments of my imagination, you know?"

Tanya patted his shoulder, giving him an encouraging smile. "I know. But it will get better in time."

X

Chameleon cautiously approached Dragaunus, wondering if the Saurian overlord was going to blast him away like he did with the droids a few hours ago. "Um, boss?"

"Shh!" hissed Dragaunus. "I'm thinking."

"Of what?" asked Siege.

"Of how to bring back Darkflame while crushing those blasted ducks."

The other three Saurians rolled their eyes. "Lord, why don't you forget about that plan?" started Wraith, as Chameleon and Siege shook their heads, trying to dissuade the older saurian from continuing. "Even Lady Nightbloom agrees that it's not worth the time and energy."

Dragaunus whirled around to face Wraith. "She knows nothing," he stated. "And if I so much as hear you agree with her again on this matter, you'll be joining the droids in the scrap heaps!" he roared.

"Forgive me, my lord," Wraith said with a slight note of fear.

"I was sure he was char-broiled lizard that time," muttered Chameleon.

Siege nodded in agreement.

"Element of surprise," said Dragaunus. "We entered the Pond once, we can enter it again. The question is when would be the best time to go about it."

Dragaunus eyes fell on a current newspaper. It's headlines read: FINAL GAME OF PLAY-OFFS; MIGHTY DUCKS SURE TO ENTER STANLEY CUP

He began to chuckle. "With a little patience, the best time will soon be here."

X

Canard leaned against the wall of the infirmary.

Nosedive was lying down on a bed, looking nervous and scared.

Mallory stood off to the side, watching as Tanya hooked up some electrodes to Nosedive's temples.

"This will monitor your brain waves and heart beat," said Tanya. "The second it looks like you're in too much distress, we're pulling you out of your memories, got that?"

Nosedive nodded. On his other side sat Grin, whose eyes were closed as he took in slow and steady breaths.

At the foot of his bed stood Wildwing. Nosedive offered a shaky smile, and Wildwing returned one of affection. Nosedive calmed down just a fragment.

Duke stood next to Canard. "I don't think I'm ready for this," he said.

Canard snorted. "He's the one who's going to go through it."

"Yeah, but in a way, so will we."

Canard stared at Duke for a moment, then nodded his head. "I stand corrected."

Nosedive leaned his head back against the pillow.

Grin opened his eyes. Everything became quiet as Mallory dimmed the lights in the room.

"Close your eyes."

Nosedive closed his eyes.

"Take slow, steady breaths," said Grin, his voice dropping to a low soothing sound.

Nosedive focused on Grin's voice as he felt his body slowly relaxing. He no longer heard the hum of electricity, or the breathing of his companions. All he heard was his own heart beat, his own breath, and the steady voice of Grin. Before long, even that faded away.

And then the visions came...

X

The night was dark. Dark like his soul.

"I wanted to clear my mind. I was feeling upset. And I knew I could get out without anyone knowing, if I put my mind to it."

Just a few buttons pressed and the alarm was off. The trip to the doors was uneventful. No one saw him, or heard him. The door made a soft click and slowly swung open. The air was cold and fresh. The door shut behind him.

"I was free. No one stopped me. No one cared."

The walk did nothing to clear his mind. The streets were bare, not even the glimpse of a rat sneaking it's way from sewer grate to sewer grate. A soft breeze would push a small piece of paper now and then, scraping it along the floor. But the voices in his head were too loud.

"I heard nothing. Saw no one. I was alone."

He looked up, a sense of doom filling the air. All he saw were the sky scrapers, windows dark. The sky was black, it's stars barely noticeable with the lighting the street lamps gave.

"I had the feeling that I was being watched, or followed. But I brushed it off as paranoia."

Then there was the crunching sound.

"I heard a noise. I turned, but there was no one there. I walked faster, and heard it again!"

A dark imposing figure, with bright yellow eyes staring from under a hood. No face, just a shadow. It's intent unknown.

"Something was there. I couldn't see what it was, but I didn't like it. So I ran."

The Pond was going to be the only safe place. So he turned into an alley.

"Siege was there. So I ran in an other direction. Tried calling for help. But my comm wouldn't work. And I spotted Wraith. I ran back in the same direction I'd come from, and saw Dragaunus. Then Chameleon."

Blocked at all sides and knowing that back up would not be arriving. No other alternative but to play along and hope for a chance to escape.

"I managed to escape them, tricking them into thinking I was giving myself up. I lost them."

No Saurian was in sight, but he could still hear them. He took another route, determined to go back to the Pond and alert his brother. The comm unit was still out, otherwise that would have been his first choice.

So he started to head back, and then a voice softly spoke to him...

"Do you really want to go back?"

"The words froze me in my place. I knew better, but...I couldn't help but think of the answer."

The cloaked figure jumped in front of him. He demanded to know who this creature was.

"It said it's name wasn't important. That I was it's spy. I felt horrified."

The pendant glowed in response.

"It said it knew I was a burden from watching the team."

Worthless. Irresponsible. The team gave no credit for the lives he saved. The bank robbers or the terrorists he had stopped. The team captain and his brother berated him instead.

"The words rang true. But I didn't want to believe that I believed that. "

He backed away, shaking his head. He ran into something solid. Turning around, he felt dread as he saw Dragaunus towering over him victoriously. There was no way out. He heard the creature mention of his use to bring down his team mates. He refused to help.

"You have no choice."

Then there was powder in his face, and an incantation.

"Everything grew dark. Quiet. And I fell."

Images. So many image. Betrayal. Abandonment. No one to call. Worthless fool. A burden.

"We don't need you."

"No!! It can't be true! Duke! Grin! Wildwing, please?! Anybody!!"

"Open your eyes, please!"

X

Nosedive opened his eyes to find Wildwing clutching him to his chest.

The memories came crashing down at him at once. "W-what happened?" he asked, feeling his body trembling.

"You're heart rate shot straight through the roof," replied Tanya. "You weren't waking up until Wildwing grabbed hold of you."

Nosedive looked around and saw the reactions of the other ducks.

Mallory and Duke were staring with wide eyes. Canard looked grim, and Grin looked guilty. His brother seemed relieved for the moment.

"I think that's enough ," said Canard.

"No!" disagreed Nosedive. "I have to know. I have to remember."

Canard frowned. "Fine then, but that's enough for now."

"I agree," said Tanya. "With that kind of reaction you were sure to suffer some kind of physical break down."

Nosedive nodded slowly.

Canard glanced at his watch. "Suit up guys. We have practice. Nosedive, Wing...you guys can have an hour to compose yourselves."

Wildwing nodded while Nosedive leaned back and stared at the ceiling, looking lost in thought.

X

Nightbloom sat in the shadows, watching the alien ducks practicing on the ice. For one hour she watched as they went through their exercises. Then Nosedive and Wildwing made their way to the rink.

Nosedive looked beat, but he was smiling. It wasn't with the same brightness he use to have, but his eyes had more light to them than when the public broadcast was done.

The ducks separated themselves into teams. Then they started their scrimmage. As she watched them play, she could see the determination each duck had.

She focused her attention on Nosedive.

"Amazingly, you didn't lose that light in you, hatchling," she murmured to herself. "If you manage to escape Dragaunus' plan to take you back, I believe you will be stronger than ever. Leadership material. And I'm sure others will see it too."

Nosedive let out a shout of frustration and swung his hockey stick. The puck went sailing into the goal, past Wildwing's gloved hand.

Duke cheered him on while Nosedive stood dumbfounded. Then he whooped in joy, bringing smiles to the other ducks. Canard, on the other hand, remained impassive.

"Don't get too cocky, kid," he said. "That's when it comes round behind you and bites you in the rear."

Nosedive rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah," he muttered.

"Wise advice," murmured Nightbloom. "Be sure to follow it, or you will disappoint me as worthwhile adversaries." With those words, she disappeared.

X

The stands were packed once again, and people cheered with great enthusiasm.

Phil was biting his nails while he paced back and forth in the locker room.

"Relax, Phil," said Duke.

"We'll beat them tonight," said Canard.

"So how ya feeling?" asked Wildwing, glancing at Nosedive.

Nosedive gave a slight nod. "Actually, bro, I'm feeling well. Got a good night's sleep last night. I think I may be ready for another session."

"We'll talk about it after the game," said Canard.

Nosedive nodded.

X

"I still recommend you leave him alone," said Nightbloom, as she looked at the plan set out in front of her.

"And I'm choosing to disagree with you on that," replied Dragaunus. "If I position my droids here, precisely at this time, it should be successful."

"Why didn't you think of this earlier, Civilian?"

Dragaunus grounded his teeth, then gave her a strained smile. "So I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. And Darkflame actually had some influence on my thoughts. This is something he would have come up with for sure."

Nightbloom inhaled, then let out her breath slowly. "Security will be at a minimum during that time, focused completely on the game. It would be an ideal time for an attack."

Dragaunus grinned. "Thank you."

"Can we sit this one out?" asked Chameleon, earning a deathly glare. "Just kidding, boss. Sheesh."

X

"Duke!" shouted Canard, as he shot the puck towards the grey duck.

Duke swung his hockey stick and the puck went sailing past the goalie.

"And the Ducks are in the Stanley Cup!" shouted the announcer as both the goal siren sounded and the referee blew the whistle.

Fans went crazy as they stomped their feet, applauded, shouted, and whistled loudly.

Down on the ice, all the ducks met in the center as the defeated team slowly made their way off the ice.

Phil was jumping for joy by the stands as camera bulbs went flashing.

Overhead, the center scoreboard kept flashing "Ducks in Stanley Cup" over and over again.

"We got a lot of work cut out for us," said Canard. "Lots of practices ahead."

All the ducks nodded as they turned and waved at their fans in the stands. The people went wild.

Then they skated off the ice.

X

Dragaunus turned off the monitor as the post game announcements began.

X

Nosedive took a deep breath while Tanya prepared to put the electrodes back on his temples.

They were in the infirmary. Nosedive was sitting on the bed while Grin sat on a chair in front of him. Wildwing stood at the foot of the bed next to Canard.

As Tanya applied pressure to secure the wires, Nosedive felt a chill go down his back.

"Are you sure you really want to do this?" Wildwing asked, as he took in the way his little brother way shaking with nervousness.

"Yeah," Nosedive replied. "I have to know."

Tanya sighed. "Okay, but once again, if things get too bad we're pulling you out of it. We really should, like, be focusing on our championship games."

"I hear ya, Tanya, but..."

"But whatever keeps lurking in his mind is also impeding his playing skills," concluded Grin, startling the other ducks.

"What do you mean?" asked Wildwing. "He's just recovering."

"Grin's right. He gets this look in his eyes," said Canard, studying Nosedive. "Why don't you ask him?"

"Dive?"

Nosedive sighed. "I, I start seeing things while I'm on the ice. Like the players become droids, and then I'll see this black flame..."

Wildwing shot a look at Canard.

Canard shook his head.

"Okay," said Tanya. "We're ready on this end."

Nosedive looked at Grin.

Grin nodded.

X

Wires. Buttons. Blackness. Nothing could be seen or heard, but the straps holding him down were felt. A strange humming sound. And then he could see.

There is a battle going on. He's standing next to Mallory and Tanya. They all are shooting at some unseen enemy.

Lasers shoot back, and they all jump for cover.

He keeps firing away, trying to see the enemy but failing.

Then his puck blaster clicks empty.

"Mallory! I need ammo!" he shouts.

Mallory gives him a dirty look. "No way," she responds. "Not my fault you do poorly at sharp shooting. Maybe if you weren't such a loser..."

Confusion. Hurt. He turns to Tanya, who is already shaking her head.

"I don't have the pucks to waste on you."

He stares at her, beak open in shock. Then a shadow falls in front of him, raises a laser.

He screams as he raises his arms to cover his face.

"Well, at least he won't be around to slow us down," he hears.

There is a sharp shooting pain in his chest, and he can't breathe around the lump in his throat.

"Nosedive! What you're seeing can't be real. It never happened!"

He is standing on a cliff next to Duke and Grin, with explosives going off everywhere. He can hear Canard shouting orders of retreat.

Somewhere overhead, the whistle of an oncoming missile can be heard. Looking up, the sun blinds him. Then there is a loud blast and incredible heat coming at him in waves. The force knocks him back. For a horrible moment, he hangs, suspended in air. Then he begins to fall.

His hand reaches out and grabs on the ledge. The impact of his body striking against the side of the cliff almost makes him lose his hold.

Glancing down he grows sick with fear at the sight of four Saurians waiting for him to fall.

He looks back up.

"Grin! Duke! Help!"

"Yer on your own, kid!" he hears Duke shout.

Grin stands above him.

"Grinster! Help!"

Grin shakes his head. "You're too full of negative vibes, little bud. Why don't you grow up and stop wasting our time?"

The ledge gives way and Nosedive yells in fear as he plummets down the awaiting hands of the Saurians.

"We would never let you fall, little buddy. I would never let you fall."

There is a huge group of droids running after him. Lasers fill the sky as he ducks and runs, trying to escape them. His lungs are aching from the lack of oxygen, and his legs are threatening to give out on him.

Up ahead he sees Wildwing and Canard, walking and talking with each other, unaware of the approaching danger.

"Wing! Canard! Help!" he shouts out, as he trips on a rock and tumbles down to the floor. He pushes himself up and looks at his team mates.

Canard is walking away, shaking his head.

Wildwing stares back, his eyes filled with disgust and shame. Then he, too, turns and leaves.

"Wildwing, no! Please!"

"I would never abandon you, baby bro!"

"But you never came!"

Vision after vision of betrayal.

A soft soothing voice. "What do you see, young one?"

No one coming to his aid.

"Help me, Wing! Please! Duke?"

No one to support him.

"Do they leave you alone to suffer?"

"Wildwing, please! " A sob. "This can't be real..."

Everything slows down and everything begins to grow dark. Nothing can be seen, and he can't help but feel grateful that the visions were gone.

"I am sorry..."

"I thought it was over..."

"Oh, Dive..."

Trapped in darkness, utterly alone. Then there is a eerie laugh. Something glows before him, and then fades away. He gasps and back pedals in fear. Standing before him is a duck with black hair and black eyes.

"You are completely worthless," the stranger says, raising a hand.

Vines appear out of nowhere, wrapping themselves around him.

"You don't deserve that body, much less live," the dark duck continues.

"Who are you?!" he shouts, half in fear and half in anger.

"Why, I will be your better half," the other duck laughs.

He eyes the stranger warily as he is approached.

"You will cease to exist as I take control."

Eyes widen in horror as a hand reaches out for his face. It lands gently on his temple, and the other duck begins to glow an unearthly green.

"Long live the reign of Darkflame."

A blinding and searing pain fills his head, and he screams. The he slumps over in weakness. The vines begin to drag him back towards a hole, while the other duck laughs and laughs. He goes over the edge...

There is a flash of light...

A wailing sound...

Blurry vision...

"Congratulations..."

A red figure...

"It's a boy."

The vision clears, and a red Saurian fills his view. And he feels complete and safe in the arms of his father.

But still, a small seed of doubt exists.

"That never happened!"

X

"It was you I saw, not him!" cried Nosedive, embracing his brother. Yet his voice sounded unsure.

Wildwing held his brother tightly. "Who did you see?"

Nosedive shook his head. "Dragaunus!"

Wildwing and Canard hissed.

"It was Wing you saw," said Canard. "I was there."

"I never knew they would be so cruel," Tanya whispered. "How can they do that to any sentient being's mind!"

Wildwing continued to whisper soothing words into his brother's ear. "You're safe, Dive. No one can hurt you now. You're safe."

Nosedive remained silent, taking in the warmth of his brother's arms. And yet...they no longer seemed to have the same effect, like his.

No one heard him whisper. "Dragaunus...acting as...being my father?"


Go to Episode Eighteen
Back to Nightbloom's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction