Alternate Lives

By Nightbloom

Part 6

A red Saurian male glared at the screen before him.

"Lord Dragaunus?" a male duck called out. "You requested my presence?"

Dragaunus whirled around to face him. "Why haven't you found the source of that anomaly yet?" he roared.

The male looked as if he was withering. "Um, well, you see. . . um. . . we figured it out to be a portal of some sort, but whatever came through was alive and quickly left the scene."

"So why hasn't it been found?"

"I. . ."

A beeping sound caught their attention.

The screen flared to live, showing a red dot on an electronic map.

"There it is again," pointed Dragaunus. "Gather a team and find out what it is now!"

The male duck nodded and fled the scene.

Dragaunus glared at the monitor, eyes narrowing.

X

ND and Dive glanced at each other as Nightbloom and a few other high commanding Resistance leaders dashed into one room.

Curiosity got the better of Dive as he stood up to see what all the commotion was about.

As he entered the room, Nightbloom was already barking some orders. "Red team, approach from the east. Black team, the north. Gold, from the south west. Approach with caution. Dragaunus will surely have noticed this as well."

"What's going on?" asked Dive. ND approached from behind.

Nightbloom looked at them. 'Don't worry about it. This alarm might not be anything. However, I do wish to speak to you over a certain matter."

Dive noticed Dr. Beacon flinching and turning away.

"What's wrong with Beac?" asked ND.

"He's against what I'm about to ask you."

"Which is. . ?" asked Dive, suspiciously.

"We want you to help us. I need you to help us. With your help, I believe we can take Dragaunus down."

Dive looked at the floor, lost in thought. It was odd, being asked to help, instead of rejected like his time line's Canard first had done.

He looked at ND, quietly taking in the haggard appearance his other self had. The baggy eyes, the haunted look, a broken look. He suffered a great deal, from what he had heard. How many others suffered the same thing?

Dive looked at Nightbloom. "I'll do whatever it takes," he said.

Nightbloom smiled.

X

Zane Freefall lowered his night vision goggles. Light blue eyes narrowed as brown hair fell across his tan face.

"See anything?" asked a fellow Avian. Zane glanced at the hawk next to him.

"Nada," he replied. "Whatever it was, it's gone. Saurians haven't found anything, either, from the looks of it."

"Well, that's good. Do you think it could be the same thing that brought over ND's twin?"

Zane slowly nodded. "Maybe. But just what came through? Wait up. . . " Zane pulled up the night vision goggles again.

He could spot General Siege pointing at something on the ground. He zoomed his lenses and spotted what the fat Saurian was looking at.

There on the ground, next to an unevenly placed sewer grate, were several foot prints. And recent ones at that, being that they were still wet.

"Something definitely came out of there," said Zane.

"What was it?"

"I don't know. But I'm sure we'll find out soon enough."

X

Water sloshed against the sides of the sewer gutters as a pair of hands held a small device. On it was a small red blip that lay in the western direction.

"He's here."

To be continued . . .


Go to Part Seven
Back to Nightbloom's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction