Alternate Lives

By Nightbloom

Part 13

Zane was the first one to act.

Holding out his laser, he pointed and shot.

The laser deflected off of Iron Wing's arm, but the impact caused him to lose his grip.

Nightbloom kicked up one leg to wrap it around Iron Wing's arm, and with the other, kicked at the grey duck's face.

Iron Wing let her go as he went crashing to the floor.

Dragaunus and General Canard dove in different directions.

Lasers and pucks flew through the air as both parties fired blindly at one another.

"Back!" Ordered Nightbloom, retreating through the hole they had just entered.

Zane and Canard complied, covering each other.

Once outside the door, Nightbloom cursed. "This wasn't part of the plan."

"Dear, nothing is ever part of the plan," snorted Zane, sniffing at the laser burn on his arm. "Ugh. . . nasty stuff."

Nightbloom narrowed her eyes. "We have to come up with a new plan now," she muttered.

X

Duke half carried, half dragged, Nosedive.

Mallory and Tanya both carried flash lights, lighting the way.

"They sure have a lot of prisoners here," Duke muttered, eyeing the bolts that were locked.

"Not as many as you think," whimpered ND, hugging himself.

Mallory peered through one cell's window and stopped. "Duke. . . when the bombs go off. . . what will happen to this area?"

"It'll be buried," replied Duke, grimly.

"Duke, we can't leave the prisoners to be buried alive!"

"We don't have the time to free them," said Duke.

"But Mallory's right," both Tanya and Dive protested.

"We have precisely four minutes to free as many prisoners as we can," Duke sighed, tossing the ring of keys to Mallory.

Mallory nodded as she unlocked the cell door in front of her and pushed it open. She tossed the ring back to Tanya who moved over to the next cell.

ND glanced at the symbol etched on the door and gasped. "Mallory, wait!"

But it was too late.

Mallory stood staring at the still prisoner before her.

Familiar red hair covered the face, gaunt white hands clutched at the floor. The prisoner wore little clothing, and it was clear as to what purpose she most likely served, judging by the bruises between her legs, the scratches and bite marks on her back.

Mallory dropped to her knees and slowly reached out to feel for any signs of life.

Part of her hoped that there wasn't any.

She moved the hair out of the way.

She wasn't expecting to see a half decayed face looking back at her.

Mallory cried out in horror as she scrambled backwards.

Duke, Tanya, and Dive gasped in shock.

"I'm sorry I didn't warn you in time," whispered ND. "This prisoner belongs to Sorcerer Wraith. That's his symbol." He pointed to the markings on the door. "He, like some Saurians, relish death, and know how to keep a body preserved long enough to enjoy it for a while."

Mallory stared at her alternative self. "How long. . ." she started to ask.

ND looked at her sorrowfully. "Probably the day she was captured. Wraith doesn't like living bodies. He most likely had her killed within the hour."

Mallory's face contorted in anger. "They all have to die," she said.

"Come on," murmured Duke,. "Let's see if we can find some that are alive."

Mallory stood up, offered a small prayer, and walked out of the cell.

X

"We have to find a way to explode the machinery inside," growled Nightbloom, firing her laser and then ducking behind the safety of the wall.

Some lasers flew out, as the trapped Saurian overlord and his two guards shot back.

"We're gonna have to lure them out," said Canard.

"Actually. . ." Nightbloom turned to Canard. "With enough electrical charge, I can blow up the computer systems. However, it will drain me of my power to the point of death."

Canard's and Zane's eyes grew wide at her suggestion.

"We have to find another way," Canard demanded.

"No," snarled Nightbloom, as she let off another round of lasers. "It was an all or nothing deal. This might be the only chance the Resistance gets to getting rid of these three! You have to finish setting up the rest of the bombs so that we can level this place."

"But. . ."

"No 'buts.' I'll do my best to survive." With that, she grabbed Canard by the chin and pulled him forward, giving him a passionate kiss.

Zane turned away, looking unhappy, and feeling like he was intruding a very private moment. He fired several more rounds.

Canard stared at Nightbloom when she broke the kiss.

"Take him, Zane," Nightbloom ordered.

Zane gave a curt nod before grabbing Canard by the arm and hauling him back down the hall.

Nightbloom intensified her shooting, hoping that she had enough ammunition to keep the three at bay.

X

Wildwing paused as his communicator beeped.

"Go for Wing," he said.

"Nightbloom. . . I need some electrical power in the main computer room."

Silent paused upon hearing that. "Um, I'm sure I can do that in like, six minutes...considering I need to rewire the stuff we just cut."

With that, the little saurian darted back into the room.

The older Saurian, who went by the name of Break, sighed. "I hate surprises," he said.

"Whoohooo! Let me help!" crowed a somewhat scrawny Avian, with long jet black hair and glasses, as he raced after Silent.

"Hacker!" growled the tan Avian.

Wildwing gave the two a small smile. "Firewall, Break, . . . why don't you keep an eye out for them. Make sure that no one gets in while they're working."

The tan Avian and Saurian nodded.

Wildwing looked up at Grin. "I have a bad feeling about this. . .Find Nightbloom. She may need some help with whatever plan she has up her sleeve."

"On it," said Grin, before dashing out.

Wildwing turned to meet up with the rest of the group. Dive. . . I hope they found you well.

X

"Our time is almost up," hissed Duke, as Dive stumbled, almost bringing him down.

ND moved forward to help Duke steady Dive.

Dive gave him a pained smile.

"We have no choice," said Tanya, looking upset.

ND shook his head. "Most of them rather die than live with what they went through. We already saved those that were willing enough to run on their own."

"Which way?"

"Um. . . th-that way," ND pointed towards an almost hidden staircase. "I think."

"What's up there?"

"I'm not sure. I've only seen the door in passing, but they always brought me down through the entrance we came through."

The group headed towards the stairs.

X

Canard and Zane attached a pair of bombs to one of the walls.

"Three and ten," said Zane.

Canard nodded. Three minutes till the resistance began with the distraction, and ten minutes for them to get out.

He only hoped Nightbloom knew what she was doing.

X

"Did it!" both Hacker and Silent shouted.

"Good, now let's the hell out of here," grunted Firewall.

"Gak!"

"Silent!"

The small Saurian was held by the throat by a familiar looking green Saurian. Directly behind him stood another one.

"Chameleon," snarled Wildwing. "And Wraith."

"I see you know me, my good man. . . but I'm afraid I don't quite know you," said Chameleon, mockingly. "Please excuse me while I take care of this business."

With that, Chameleon morphed into a large ogre like creature and began to tighten his hold on Silent.

Silent thrashed about.

Break snarled as he lunged at Chameleon. However, Wraith immediately sent a ball of flames in his direction, knocking him to the ground.

Wildwing, Fireball, and Hacker grabbed the weapons and began firing.

Silent kicked up his legs, wrapping them around Chameleon's arm, and his tail lashed out poking the Saurian in the eye.

"Dammit!" snarled Chameleon, dropping Silent to the floor. His hands flew to cover his eye as he morphed back to his smaller self.

"Stop fooling around and start shooting!!!" shouted Wraith, before sending flame after flame in the direction of the resistance team.

"I'm on it," grumbled Chameleon, grabbing his own laser gun and firing at whatever he could make out.

The Resistance team backed up, using metal posts and equipment as cover.

"We have to bail soon," said Firewall. "Reinforcements will be arriving shortly."

Wildwing glanced at his watch. "No they won't," he said. "Not if the rest of the team are on time."

Silent and Hacker glanced at their watches as well.

"Then we better move!"

The five scrambled for the exit.

"Come here and fight, you cowards!" shouted Chameleon.

A split second later, the ground trembled and loose objects began to fall.

"We're being attacked!" said Wraith.

X

"It's started," said Duke.

"As if I'm not having a hard enough time walking," muttered Dive, trying to steady himself.

ND hovered close by, ready to be of assistance.

"Which way?" asked Mallory.

Duke's communicator beeped.

"How's it coming?" asked Canard's voice.

"Dive's free and we just came out through another exit."

"We're on the same floor as the main computer," said ND, looking around.

"Duke, I think Night's planning on killing herself," said Canard, the worry evident in his voice. "She's at the main computer's entrance trying to keep Dragaunus, Iron wing and the general holed up in there."

"I'll see if she needs help," said Duke.

"Five minutes," came Zane's voice.

"Mallory, you lead. Get Dive out of here, now!"

"Come on! ND, the exit?"

"Straight ahead and to the left!"

Mallory quickly pushed the group ahead as Duke turned and went in the opposite direction.

X

Wildwing and Break both whirled around and fired their weapons at the entrance to the main power room, causing the doorway to collapse. Concrete and metal blocked the entrance.

"Let's go, let's go, let's go!" shouted Wildwing. The five ran heading to the main exit, dodging into rooms and behind walls, avoiding the Saurian army members and droids that were rushing to the action outside.

"We're running out of time," said Hacker.

"We ran out of time," corrected Silent, looking up at the taller Saurian.

One loud explosion rocked the floor.

Everyone stumbled and crashed to the floor.

Another explosion sounded nearby.

"Those blasts are from outside!!" shouted Wildwing. "If you don't want to experience the ones from inside, you better get up and run!"

A third booming sound shook the floor even harder, and cracks appeared on the ceiling.

Silent sat up.

Dust fell on his legs and shoulder.

Looking up, Silent's eyes grew wide as pieces of the veiling began to fall down.

He shouted and threw his hands over his face as his team cried out his name.

X

Chameleon and Wraith crashed into equipment when an explosion caught them off guard.

"We're under attack!" shouted Chameleon, looking wildly around.

"What gave you that idea?" snarled Wraith, shooting off his fireballs at the blocked entrance. "Help me open this up, foolish lizard."

Chameleon growled and pointed his blaster at the mess. He began to fire at it, knowing that his life probably depended on it.

X

Nightbloom almost lost her laser blaster when the first explosion sounded.

"It's time," she muttered, as she closed her eyes and raised her hand.

She began to glow and her hair began to raise.

X

"Why did they stop?" asked Dragaunus, glancing at the doorway.

"I don't know," muttered General Canard.

"Something's happening," growled Iron Wing, looking about.

Sparks of electricity began to spark from the machines.

"Shit. . ." he muttered, before diving to one side.

General Canard and Dragaunus glanced behind themselves as well.

Their eyes widened.

X

Nightbloom felt her body trembling.

Must. . . hold. . . on. . .she thought to herself.

She dropped to her knees. Purple charges of light cackled around her, as the tips of her hair began to singe.

Se let out a pain-filled scream as a beam of purple light burst from her hands and into the room before her.

X

Wildwing burst through one exit, glancing back at his team members.

Break was right behind him, an unconscious Silent in his arms.

Hacker, looking more subdued, followed him, as well as Firewall.

A moment later, another nearby door burst open.

Wildwing, Hacker, and Firewall quickly turned towards the door, blasters aimed at the possible threat. They blinked when they saw that puck blasters were aimed at them.

"Wing!" came out a tired voice.

"Dive?" Wildwing was unable to hide his relief. He faltered a bit when he saw the condition that his brother was in.

"It's worse than it looks," said Dive, with a half grin on his face.

ND helped support his twin as Wildwing hurried over.

"We have to get out," said ND. "The explosives inside should be ready to go."

"Where's Canard?" asked Mallory.

"And Grin?" asked Tanya.

"Duke?" Wildwing asked, realizing that they were short another team member.

"Still inside," they all replied at once.

The door burst open once more.

Canard and Zane tumbled out.

Zane whirled and fired at the doorway. A small explosion sounded, and bits of metal came flying through. "That one almost caught us," he panted.

Canard spotted Wildwing. "Where's Duke and Nightbloom?" he asked.

"They and Grin are still inside," answered Firewall. "We got distracted by Chameleon and Wraith."

Mallory snarled. "Are they dead?" she asked.

"Not yet," replied Break.

"But they will be," Hacker added.

"In the meantime, we have to move away," ordered Canard, casting a worried look at building behind them.

The mixed group ran towards the wall. They quickly scaled over it, Firewall helping Break carry Silent up and over the wall.

Canard stopped on top and looked at the castle.

From his place, he could see where most of the battle was taking place. But that wasn't what kept his attention. Time was almost up and there was not a single trace of his two companions and Nightbloom.

His watched beeped.

"No..."

Several large booming sounds came from inside the castle, as flames and smoke poured out fro just about every window.

The shock wave knocked Canard off the wall and into the arms of Wildwing and Break.

"No.." murmured Canard.

Several more explosions followed, and smoke began to rise high into the air.

"NIGHTBLOOM!"

To be continued . . .


Go to Part Fourteen
Back to Nightbloom's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction