Author's note: Wow, this is probably the fastest I've ever started a chapter up after I've ended another. Two days -- that's gotta be a record (for me, anyways). Maybe it's because I feel inspired, or that I actually know a bit of what I want to do next. Who knows. Either way, I'm bent on actually finishing a multi-chaptered fanfic! (Mainly because I actually have this more structured than the others -- as in, I have more of an idea what I want to do and how I want it to sound.) Thanks for all the pretty reviews, they make me smile! And bloody, I'll add other author notes later; I want to start up my fanfic before the urge to write leaves me! Sorry about the grammar and spelling.. I didn't bother to check over it very much, although I did use the italics where I wanted them.. Thought I should warn you before hand.

Author's second note: Everyone needs to go and read Candygirl's fanfic, Surreal-Life Story, and Orenda's fanfic, Choices! (And their other ones, too..) You don't know what you're missing! ^^; And everyone already knows to read Kaeera's, Angelfire's, Prince Tyler Briefs's, PapillonStar's, and Nightbloom's, I do hope. And Dolphy's got awesome art! =P And if I'm forgetting someone, throttle me in an e-mail at icelightning@pcweenie.com . And it took me the longest time to get this chapter out. Another record! Rofl. And I'd say read Eiflin's, but the girl doesn't have any. =P But Orenda just said she did, so now I'm bloody confused. I need to catch up on all my ff.net reading.. Er.. Before I go on another tangent, onto the fanfic! =P

The Aftermath

By Icelightning

Chapter 4: Pain and Premonitions

Nosedive's taken on so many responsibilities being a Mighty Duck, and being only the teenager he is, I've always wondered how he was able to manage them all. I mean, it's not everyday that a teen fights for his life as well as the lives and safety of those that he cares about, is it? Where did he get the strength to go on smiling as the lasers fly and laugh off a near-death experience with a corny joke? What gives him the strength to go on?

During the time Wildwing was in a coma and the time Wildwing was a prisoner of Dragaunus, I realized exactly where that strength of his came from. Nosedive got his strength from his brother's presence, his brother's smile, his brother's touch. He wanted to make Wildwing proud and wanted to protect his brother like Wildwing had protected him for so many years. Nosedive made sure that Wildwing knew that he was ready to protect Wildwing when the time came. At first, his antics nearly got him killed, but Wildwing's disapproval quickly made him realize that he had to work with the team in order to become part of it.

And so he did, but not only did he become a part of the team, he became an asset as well. More than once his quick thinking have been the difference between us keeping or loosing our lives. Nosedive is now willing to give up everything to protect earth; everything except his brother.

Wildwing matters more to Nosedive than anything else in all creation. I could see it in the way he wouldn't leave Wildwing's side after the accident and how he seemed dead after Wildwing was kidnapped. It's impossible to describe the horror I felt as I watched Nosedive waste away without his brother to comfort him. His laughter died instantly, and it has continued to do so whenever there was even a possibility that he might lose Wildwing. He considers himself to be nothing without Wildwing, and I can only pray that isn't so. I've come to care for him as one would a younger brother, a strange thing coming from a duck who spends all her free time tinkering with equipment. Maybe that's why I was so worried about him during those trying times; I spent all my time off by myself and yet he still got to me. I can understand why his brother is so overprotective of him. You don't meet a teenager like Nosedive everyday.

Girls fawn over him, but they're only in love with a part of him; they never seem to notice how strong he is and how he is so much more than good looks and laughs. They don't see his unfailing courage or his never-ending optimism or his ability to climb over any obstacle. Who knows, maybe they don't care, but that's not the point. The point is that there's so much more to him than they'll ever see.

And there's Wildwing; the voice of reason that calms his brother's wild antics (and keeps him alive whenever Mallory wants his throat). He's so different from Nosedive and yet so much the same. Wildwing, too, depends on his brother's existence in order to keep him going in life. Everything he's ever done, every order he's ever given, and every smile he's ever offered stem directly for his love for Nosedive. If something were to happen to Nosedive, Wildwing would fade away just as the reverse is true.

I have to admit that I've gotten rather fond of Wildwing too. In fact, I've gotten rather fond of everybody. Mallory's like a sister to me. Nosedive's the little brother. Grin's the person you can always go to when you're in a sore need for reassurance. And Duke and Wildwing. . . Perhaps something more than the rest?

After all we've been through, I never really realized how young Nosedive was -- in both mind and body. He's come through for us so many times it's hard to forget that he's only a teenager, a child. Nosedive has had the same responsibilities as the rest of the team members, and his maturity level during battles distorts the facts.

Despite everything, Nosedive's still a duckling, as much as he's come through for us. And children have different needs than adults. Where Wildwing might not need constant reassurance that he's living up to his potential and that he's doing the best he can, Nosedive does. He's at the stage in life where everything changes, in both body and mind. What he needs most is a group of people he can rely on for constant reassurance and love. At least, that's what the books say. And the heavens know that's how it was for me.

When one's at the stage of being both adult and child, they need help in making the transition. The chemical imbalances in their bodies throw their emotions out of whack, and it becomes harder and harder to be happy as their change progresses. Most teenagers, surrounded by family and friends, make it through without noticing the difference. But Nosedive was in the camps through part of this transformation. I can only guess how badly they could have affected his transformation; all the more reason why we need to never forget how young he really is.

We were painfully reminded of this fact when Wildwing was hit by the truck. Nosedive barely survived the experience, and that was with Wildwing in a coma, and then there was the time where Wildwing got kidnapped. . . What would have happened to Nosedive if Wildwing had died? It would literally destroy him.

And it would destroy the team. Without Wildwing, we're lost. And if we're lost, then so is Puckworld. We might have saved Puckworld from the Saurians once, but if we're gone then Dragaunus will go back and attack our world while it's rebuilding. It wouldn't stand a chance, just like it nearly didn't before. Only this time there would be no Mask of Drake DuCaine to save our people in their time of need.

The fate of two universes are on our shoulders. If we lose, so do they. If we die, so do billions upon billions die after us. No pressure, right?

I only wish that were true, because I can't stand being under pressure. The 'what-ifs' drive me crazy when I'm the one that everyone depends on. What if I can't fix it on time? What if I can't get there in time? What if something malfunctions? What if it's a trap? What if. . . everyone's already dead?

At times, I wonder if thoughts like that race through Wildwing's head whenever we rush into battle. I know he worries, and that he worries an awful lot, but are his worries as strong as mine? He does, after all, have a little brother on the team that he's sworn to himself to protect. But he seems so calm during battles; is it because of the mask?

And speaking of the mask, I still don't understand to this day why the mask malfunctioned even after I fixed it. It's still malfunctioning, in fact. Somehow, I can't help but feel that maybe, just maybe, it's "malfunctioning" for a reason. It's been damaged before, and worse in most cases, oddly enough, yet it still won't work. Why? Is there something we don't know about the mask? That could very well be it, since we don't exactly have the instruction manual.

But everything about the mask is alright. The only thing that's different is that it has lost energy. Did it really create a shield around Wildwing that saved his life? And if not, how else could he have lived?

Someday, somehow, we must figure out this mystery. We must figure it out soon. Without the mask, we're finished.

And I'm not going to let the others die like this. We're going to die of old age, back on Puckworld, surrounded by friends and family. That is my pledge to myself, and I'm going to keep it.

***

The second the others arrived, they realized that they were far too late. The humans that had been hiding in the shops had already begun to peek out the doors and through the windows, wondering if the lizard-men were gone yet.

Duke paled and struggled to get off his seatbelt, his gaze locked on Nosedive's shaking form. The Saurians had been after Wildwing! And Wildwing had been unable to defend himself, only just starting to recover. . . But now the Saurians had him and they had no way to find them, with the Mask malfunctioning.

Mallory slammed her hand on the door release of the Migrator, and all four ducks piled out, rushing to Nosedive's side. Duke was the first there, and he kneeled beside Nosedive, rubbing the teenager's back.

"They t-took him! T-They took him!" Nosedive exclaimed, and he suddenly clung to Duke, surprising the ex-thief.

"We'll get him back, kid, don't worry. . ." the gray mallard sighed after a moment's passing, before tentatively bringing his arms around the boy's shoulders in a cautious but firm hug.

"T-They took him!" as Nosedive's frantic words dissolved into sobs, Duke could only think of one thing.

He wasn't supposed to be the one to comfort Nosedive like he was at that moment, and the boy should have not needed to be in his arms. Nosedive should have been in Wildwing's arms and his brother was the one whom Nosedive turned for comfort. Wildwing should have been there. However, he was not.

And so Duke was left to pick up the pieces.

Grin sighed, watching Duke attempt to comfort Nosedive. Hating the feeling of helplessness that was rising in his chest, he slowly approached them. Kneeling down beside them, he rubbed Nosedive's back with his characteristic gentleness that his looks did not suggest.

"Little friend," he began, whispering softly to the teen. "Do not loose hope yet. We will get him back."

Nosedive suddenly quieted down enough to blink back tears, as he looked up to Grin, barely believing what he had heard.

"Y-You really think so?" Nosedive asked, his voice a sob-filled whisper, although it was tinted with a bit of hope. "Do . . . Do you really t-think we can save him?"

"Yes," was all Grin offered as a reply, but with the amount of certainty the single word belied, it was more than enough. "I will not stop until you and your brother are reunited, and neither will the others."

Duke saw his chance, the opening Grin had specifically prepared for him, and jumped into it without a second's hesitation.

"He's right, Nosedive. We're not going to let the Saurians keep your brother! We'll have him free before Dragaunus knows what hit him!"

For their efforts, the weakest of smiles crossed Nosedive's face. He could recognize the façade for what it was, but at the same time . . . It was comforting. The knowledge that he had such loyal friends washed a feeling of calm over him, and he felt himself breath easier. They would help him get Wildwing back.

Nosedive was not alone. And as long as he was a member of the Mighty Ducks, he never would be.

***

He woke up with a sudden shock of pain, letting out an involuntary cry of surprise as he suddenly regained consciousness. The mallard tried his best to struggle to his feet, but he found his ankles and wrists bound tightly. And wherever he was, he couldn't see more than two feet in front of him before all faded into eternal blackness.

Eventually he was able to painfully struggle into a sort of kneeling position, but it didn't help him to see what was around him any better. His cell, or the cell he assumed he was in, was still just as dark as it was before. So he relied on his other senses.

Immediately, he noticed the foul stench of dried blood and vomit in the air, making him gag and wonder why he didn't notice it before. He could hear some liquid continuously dripped onto the cold, metallic floor nearby, and he prayed it was only water. Other than that, it was completely silent.

After taking an assessment of his surroundings, he began to pinpoint the various spots of pain on his aching body. His ankles and wrists, bound too tightly, throbbed with pain and he didn't bother to try and wiggle free from whatever was binding them together. His stomach felt bruised and battered, as did his back and sides. Bruised ribs, too, in the least if he was lucky. Just when he thought it couldn't get any worse, he was overtaken by a coughing fit and tasted blood on his tongue.

He had internal bleeding as well. Great.

Letting out a sigh, he did his best to recall what had happened to him. Faintly, he remembered the Saurians jumping him at the mall and Nosedive screaming out his name in fear. Everything was blurry after that.

So that answered where he was and who had kidnapped him. Now all he had to figure out was a way to get out of there. Wildwing sat up straight, straining to think up any means of escape.

As he leaned back, his head touched against something cold and fleshy. He jerked forward and turned quickly, nearly loosing his balance as he tried to distinguish what he had felt. It took him a minute to recognize what it was, but when he did he unconsciously shouted out in horror.

A half-decayed skull of a fellow Puckworlder greeted his eyes, and he stared, unable to take his gaze away from the horrible sight. It was a young male, about Nosedive's age but perhaps a bit older, and Wildwing forced back down what remained from his breakfast he had yesterday, or what he assumed to be yesterday. Even though the eyes were almost completely decayed, he could still detect the fear in them that had plagued the boy up to his final few moments before life had fled his body forever.

The sound of claws clicking against the floor finally allowed Wildwing to tear his eyes away from the corpse as he looked into the darkness towards his captor. Even if he couldn't see him, Wildwing knew what his smile of malice would look like. Wildwing mustered up his courage and growled under his breath. Dragaunus chuckled at the sound, and Wildwing squinted his eyes as lights flooded the cell. As Wildwing predicted, Dragaunus had an evil, amused smile on his face, as he grabbed the handle bars of the cell, smirking at Wildwing. Obviously, he found it amusing to let the corpses of his victims lay rotting while still chained to the walls.

"I do hope you like the decorations I've put up for you. It gives your cell more of a homely feel, don't you think?" Dragaunus chuckled under his breath, and Wildwing glared at him after his eyes adjusted to the bright light.

"I think your corpse would look better hanging there, Dragaunus," Wildwing replied coldly and the Saurian let out a booming laugh.

"Still brave and ready to pick a fight despite your wounds, I see," Dragaunus commented, returning Wildwing's glare with a more relaxed one of his own. "But the question is whether that will continue to be after I'm through torturing you."

Wildwing's eyes showed no sign of surprise, fully expecting that Dragaunus had planned to do that from the start. The knowledge that he had guessed right only redoubled his courage. Dimly, he noticed that the cell was mostly clean except for the blood splattered around the remains of the young Puckworlder.

"Try your best shot!" Wildwing spat back, and the smirk on the Saurian's face only grew.

"I assure you, Wildwing, I will, and then you shall be begging for mercy!" Dragaunus laughed, and Wildwing growled lightly.

"I'll kill myself before I'd beg for mercy from a scumbag like you!" Dragaunus’ eyes narrowed at the amount of hatred behind Wildwing's reply.

"Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough," he stated smoothly, after taking a deep breath to contain his anger. "You WILL be screaming in pain and misery until you cannot take it anymore!"

"I doubt it," Wildwing said with such conviction he even surprised himself.

Dragaunus’ patience came to an end, and he motioned to the droids behind him. Coming forward, they dragged Wildwing into a standing position, although he struggled against them, futilely trying to slip from their grasp in an effort to charge his Saurian captor. However, their grip held fast and he realized he couldn't break free, so he let his muscles relax and he stopped his struggles to save his strength. Chuckling softly, the Saurian turned and walked away, the robots dragging Wildwing between them to the appointed designation.

Wildwing let out a small cry of surprise as the robots suddenly released him, and he fell to the ground. He quickly struggled into a kneeling position, glaring up at the smirking Dragaunus. If only he could get free . . .

As he took in his new surroundings, Wildwing's eyes widened in surprise and horror. Dimly he noticed that the other Saurians weren't present, but the fact did little to comfort him. Obviously, Dragaunus was going to do more to him than keep him captive.

He didn't know what each of the devices around him did, but he could tell that each were specifically made to inflict pain. Pain that his already abused body would only be able to take for so long . . . Wildwing didn't know the real reason Dragaunus planned on torturing him, but he half guessed it was for his own sadistic pleasures.

A sudden movement from Dragaunus was the only warning the mallard got before some device was jabbed into his arm, sending hot, searing pain throughout his body. He fell onto his side with a cry of shock and pain, unable to even sit up anymore, and his body was overcome with tremors. Desperately, he tried to sit up, but he only found that his body refused to obey him, unable to move of its own accord.

Although, that didn't stop him from trying to break free as the droids untied his bonds and dragged him on top of a table. As much as he tried to move, his body continued to jerk, although not as violently, and he was fastened down onto the table with metal cuffs. All this occurred as Dragaunus laughed, amused by his enemy's weakness.

"That is only a taste of what's to come!" The dictator exclaimed, and Wildwing, upon regaining control over most of his body, glared death at him.

"You'll never get away with this!" Wildwing threatened, and Dragaunus rolled his eyes.

"Oh please, must captured heroes always use that line??"

Wildwing didn't reply, instead just continuing his glare.

Dragaunus amused himself for a moment with the depth of hatred in Wildwing's eyes, before walking over to a console which held an easy, button interface that even a novice torturer could use. However, Dragaunus was not a novice. He smirked, looking from the console back up at his prisoner.

"And now, we play," Dragaunus eyes gleamed cruelly as he pressed down on one of the buttons.

His captive blinked in surprise, as the button did nothing and no new pain assaulted his senses. Was the machine broken? Was he actually going to luck out?

It was then that Wildwing noticed a ray device of some sort charging up over him, the dull gray of the device quickly turning to a hideous blood red. Wildwing barely had time to let out a gasp of shock before the gathering energy shot out and slammed into his chest. Every nerve in his body was bombarded by a pain so intense that it blinded him and he lost contact with all of his other senses. He couldn't even hear himself scream, although he was screaming like he had never screamed before; all he could feel was pain.

Wildwing's screams drowned out the sound of Dragaunus' laughter.

***

Nosedive rolled over in his sleep, a small sob escaping his beak every few minutes. He had knocked off his covers in all the tossing and turning caused by his nightmare. Wildwing was begging for Nosedive to help him, but he was always too late and Wildwing would die. As the nightmares drove on, the deaths of his brother became increasingly worse, each drawing a scream out of him as he awoke. And each time he thought that Wildwing being gone was no more than an awful dream, but each time he awoke in Duke's room, no longer able to stand sleeping without Wildwing in their room. This time was no different.

"WILDWING!" Nosedive screamed, sitting up with a sob of terror escaping his throat.

But Wildwing didn't come, and Nosedive looked around quickly, not recognizing where he was. He screamed Wildwing's name again and again, his voice becoming more and more frantic as he calls went unanswered. Nosedive was soon screaming for Wildwing at the top of his lungs.

Why wasn't he answering?! Where was he?! It couldn't be true, it couldn't be true! He wasn't really gone; he couldn't really be gone! It was all a dream! Please let it be a dream, please..

Finally a dark mallard ran into the room and over to the teenager's side, looking worried as he grabbed the boy by the shoulders and shook him roughly, "Nosedive!"

Nosedive stopped his screaming abruptly and stared at Duke in shock, the memories of what had happened hitting him hard. The look of fear in his eyes gave away to a pleading look that made Duke shift uncomfortably.

"P-Please tell me Dragaunus r-really doesn't have him.. P..Please.." Nosedive begged, and Duke sighed, looking away and saying nothing. "N-No! Duke, please!"

"I'm sorry, kid, but it's true," Duke replied and Nosedive began to sob, wrapping his arms around Duke's neck as he collapsed against him.

"Shh, we'll get him back.. I promise." The older mallard whispered, slowly putting his arms around the boy and patting his back.

Duke sighed softly, watching the boy slowly cry himself back to sleep once more. Nosedive was taking this hard, although not nearly as hard as when Wildwing was in a coma. At least he was eating this time... Then again, Nosedive would need his strength to help free Wildwing if they managed to find Dragaunus and the Raptor. Nosedive knew that Wildwing's life might depend on his, and that he could get a chance to do something to save him.

He looked down at the boy asleep in his arms, watching Nosedive's back rise and fall with his breathing as he leaned against Duke. If only he could be this peaceful all the time.. But Nosedive wouldn't be able to sleep soundly until they got Wildwing back.

And they would get Wildwing back, Duke was going to make sure of it. Nosedive was still young and needed his brother greatly. Wildwing was Nosedive's security blanket, and as long as Nosedive had Wildwing, everything would be okay. The second Wildwing was taken away, nightmares and fears that Nosedive seemed to have conquered came back tenfold. Without Wildwing, Nosedive was a wreck. No wonder why Wildwing was so overprotective of his little brother when he felt that Nosedive's safety was threatened.

Duke laid the boy down softly, gently pulling up the covers to tuck him in, and Nosedive curled up in his sleep. He rolled his eyes at the boy and gave his hair an affectionate pat before he stood up. Taking one last look at the boy, he shook his head and looked at him sadly.

"You didn't deserve any of this," Duke whispered, watching Nosedive's sleeping form. "You and Wildwing should never have to be separated like this.. And you shouldn't have to worry about saving Earth. But we can't change the past. We can only change the future, can't we?"

Duke, not expecting an answer, sighed and shook his head as he shut the door.

"Good night, kid."

***

Soon Nosedive again returned to dreaming, although this one was different than the others. He seemed to be floating, although he couldn't tell because he couldn't see through the pitch blackness. Looking around, he squinted in the darkness in an effort to see around him. He hated such pitch blackness usually, but he felt like he wasn't alone here, and that someone else was with him. Someone that he could trust and someone that would help him. But was he just imagining things or was he truly alone?

"Wildwing?" He called softly, hopefully, into the darkness.

The answer he got wasn't the one he expected.

"I'm afraid I'm not, but I can help you find him," a voice replied, belonging to a Puckworlder, Nosedive knew it was a Puckworlder, around Wildwing's age.

"Who are you?" Nosedive called, unafraid for reasons he could not even begin to explain. "And how can you help me find my brother?"

"You will know me soon enough," the voice replied. "And I can help you find your brother because I know where he is."

"You do?" Nosedive replied, startled, before questions exploded from his mouth. "Where is he? Is he alive? Is he okay?"

"One question at a time, one question at a time," the Puckworlder laughed as he stepped out from the shadows. "For your second and third questions, he's alive and he'll be okay if you rescue him quickly."

Nosedive got his first good look at the stranger, although he couldn't see more than chest up on the Puckworlder in front of him. He was about Wildwing's size, although a little smaller in the shoulders and tanner in color, although he was around Wildwing's build. His pale light-green eyes regarded Nosedive warmly and showed the confidence he felt about himself. Light brown hair fell just above his shoulders and was well taken care of.

"W-What if I don't safe him in time?" Nosedive whispered, in awe for a reason he couldn't grasp, fear for the first time seeping into his voice.

"You will save him in time," the Puckworlder replied, shaking his head. "I'll be there, even if you don't see me, to make sure of it."

Nosedive realized that his beak was hanging open and he shut it, blushing softly. Really, it was only another Puckworlder like him.. Why was he in so much awe? But then he realized that the other Puckworlder had entered his dreams. So much for that theory.

"Who are you?" Nosedive replied again, trying to appear that he wasn't impressed, but failing miserably. "Why are you helping us?"

"I can't tell you who I am, yet . . . You most likely won't believe me even if I did." He replied. "And I'm helping you because I have brothers of my own. I know what it's like to lose one permanently and I don't want that to happen to you."

A look of sadness crossed over the man's face and Nosedive blinked, "Man, I'm sorry . . ."

Strangely, the Duck smiled, "Don't be. Your brother will help ease the pain."

"Huh?" Nosedive replied smartly, blinking in confusion. "How?"

The stranger ignored him, "I must join my mind with yours to tell you where your brother is."

"You're in my dreams, aren't our minds already join?" Nosedive pointed out, and the other Puckworlder shook his head.

"My brother is helping me walk through your dreams. And I'm not going to explain how he's doing that, either, because there isn't time," he stepped forward until he was just in front of Nosedive. "Your brother is in danger."

"W-What do I do?" Nosedive asked urgently, worry in his voice.

"You hold still and close your eyes," the Puckworlder replied, and he Nosedive's head gently between his hands as Nosedive did as he was told. "I'll transmit you the coordinates now."

Nosedive, despite himself, snickered, "You're using magic, aren't you, and you're using scientific terms?"

"Hush you," he replied with a laugh, and closed his eyes. "And there's no way I'm doing the mystic fade-out thing, it's so tacky. So you're going to wake up now."

***

"Huh?" Nosedive blinked his eyes open and found himself once again in Duke's room.

Looking around, he ran a hand through his hair and sat up, "Oh man, that was so weird . . . But there's no way he was for r-"

Nosedive paused, his eyes widening. He knew where Wildwing was. He KNEW. Even to the exactly cell where he was kept in earlier and where he was now. How he knew, Nosedive had no clue, but now it was time for action.

He scrambled out of Duke's bed and ran to the door, slamming his fist onto the open button on the number pad so that he didn't loose time. He ran down the hall passing everyone quarter's and ran into the main room, ignoring the others stares of surprise.

"I know where Wildwing is!" Nosedive exclaimed, and their eyes widened in shock.

*End of Chapter 4*

Author's end-note: That took forever and a half! I never thought it would be finished! I hit a roadblock right at the end of the torture scene, where it states that even a novice could use the device... I was going to describe how easy it was, and then I hit a roadblock there. Obviously, I changed it. =P And the mysterious Puckworlder WILL be revealed in a future fanfic! Hehehe.. Oi, this chapter is shorter than the others. *Sigh* Ah well. And you keep your mouth zipped, Jackie and Jody, because you're the only two who know that mystery character. (And yes, they knew him before I even planned this fanfic out.. Which is the only reason.) No guessing in the reviews, because I'm sure someone will get it right. 9.9;;;


Go to Chapter Five
Back to Icelightning's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction