"Tropical Depression: Sea of Shattered Dreams"

By Sheeba Marie

 

Nova casually looked out into the dense jungle surrounding his home.

It was almost dark and a storm was brewing, the wind screaming through the trees, ripping the already tattered leaves.

Charger whimpered softly at his master's side and looked up at him with unsure eyes. "You crazy dragon, it's only a tropical storm, you've lived with me here since you were a hatchling and your still not used to them?" Nova smirked.

The dragon whined again and trotted back into the house.

"I suppose we should get inside." He agreed and followed the dragon.

Settling down in a chair by the window, Nova picked up a book he was almost halfway through and began reading.

Thunder clashed outside and lightning lit up the sky, and Nova soon found himself with Charger on his lap, shivering and shaking. Nova laughed in spite of the situation, "Charger, you're just about pathetic."

The silver dragon replied with a growl and tried to hide his face in the cushions of the chair.

"I can see right now I'm not going to be able to read with you carrying on like that." Nova said in disgust as he got up and walked to his bedroom. "And don't think you're going to stay in here tonight." He growled, watching Charger scurry into the room.

Whimpering, whining and acting generally pathetic, the dragon soon won over Nova's sympathy and was allowed into his owner's bed, on a pillow, right next to Nova.

"And they think I'm pathetic?" Nova thought to himself, more as a joke than a slam, but the comment soon brought back memories. Bad memories. Memories of something that happened only about five years ago. . .

. . .An emerald green Saurian male, roughly ten or eleven, cowers on the floor in front of an older male with blood red scales, who seems about fifteen, or slightly younger. A white female Saurian, only nine months younger than the red male, stands at a distance from the two, knowing the younger male is about to be attacked, or worse.

"What do you want, Dragaunus?" The green male demands, and gets to his feet. "For you not to exist, Nova" The red male replies, and shoves the male back down. "I think life would be better off around here if you were the one that were never born!" The young Nova replies, stumbling to his feet again and backing away from his brother.

"What did you just say?!" His brother demanded. "You know what I said! Things would be better if mom ruled the Empire now since dad's gone and you were never created!!"

Enraged, the red male Saurian growled and lowered his head, locking his attention on his younger brother. Nova blinked, and starts back, knowing that he'd crossed the boundary this time, and that he was going to be smeared thinly and evenly all over the room. And knowing that even Sheeba wouldn't help him this time.

He glares at her for a split second out of the corner of his eye, and gets attacked by Dragaunus, pinned to the floor, and feels a sharp pain tear down over his face. Feeling some sort of liquid running down his cheek, he squirms free of his brother, wipes his face with his hand and sees a mixture of blood and some sort of clear fluid all over his fingers. He can't see out of his left eye. He is pounced on again, pinned to the floor, and knows his brother won't miss his throat this time.

"Enough!" The female Saurian snarls and pounces on Dragaunus, knocking him off his brother and pinning him down, giving Nova time to escape to the safety of his mother. . .

 

A crash of thunder brought him out of his thoughts, and Charger screamed, jumping closer to Nova. "Charger, get off!" He snarled.

Reluctantly, the dragon scooted away, but not too far from the safety his owner provided during a storm.

Nova rolled over and gently ran his own claws down the deep scars down his face. An eye that sees no more, feels no more. . .

. . ."Nova, I've found a place for you on Puck World." Dragaunus hisses, glaring at his bother

"What do you mean?" he askes reluctantly, lowering his head and avoiding eye contact.

It was three years ago, directly following the first take over of Puck World.

"I have a little proposition for you." Dragaunus smirks. "There is an uninhabited island that I would be willing to give you if you stay there and stay out of my way, however, if you ever leave that island without my permission, I'll kill you."

Nova gasps at the bluntness of his brother's proposition. He knows that he doesn't have a choice in the matter, and decides to go willingly, willingly to his own private hell. . .

"And he's back now!" Nova sobbed out loud.

Charger sighed and crawled closer to his owner, gently licking his face and trying to comfort him the best he can.

"Charger why? What did I ever do to him to deserve this? Solitude!" He grabbed the silver dragon and pulled him down, glad to be receiving comfort from anyone.

"I'm never allowed to take a mate, I'm never allowed to leave this island, and I'm not even allowed to see my little sister grow up!" He instantly stopped sobbing and remembered the young female Saurian he hadn't seen since he was put on the island. . .

. . .Six years ago, Salamanca screams in pain, Nova, Sheeba and Dragaunus hovering the doorway of Salamanca and Magnus's quarters.

It's been thirteen months since Salamanca announced to her sons and husband that she was pregnant, and now, the long awaited moment had arrived.

"Come on dear, one more push and it'll all be over with." An older female Saurian advised. "I. . I.. .I can't!" She screamed. "Come one Salamanca, yes you can!" Magnus replied, taking her hand in his and trying to offer support.

Even with the pain killer she'd been given, she was still in quite a bit of pain.

There was a long silence in the room. Salamanca screamed again, and so did a child.

"It's a female!" The older Saurian announced
"A girl?" Dragaunus and Nova both stammer at the same time.

"Yes, you have a new sister." She answers, taking the child and wrapping it in a blanket, then handing it to it's parents.

Magnus wipes his mate's forehead with a wet towel and smiled. "Come meet your new sister." He told Nova and Dragaunus, motioning for them to come over.

They do so reluctantly, and when Sheeba tries to follow, Salamanca ordered for her to get out.

"Maybe it would be best if you left this to family." Magnus suggests, and Sheeba backs out of the room, feeling hurt that they didn't want her around.

"So what 'cha gonna' name her?" Nova asks, stating down at the small Saurian.

She looked like her father, and had red scales like he and her older brother, the only one of Salamanca's children that actually look like her being Nova

"I was thinking, possibly Fayette." Magnus commented. . .

Return to the Fanfiction