At The Beginning

By Nyre

(song by Richard Marx and Donna Lewis)

We were strangers starting out on a journey...

Nyre sat in the Ready Room, her laptop opened before her. She moved the mouse icon to click on a folder, immediately a picture she was so fond of came onto the screen. A picture of the two teams she would gladly put her own life on the line for.

First, STROBE. Drake... Krysta... Hacker... Marri and Mel... Ace and Dee. Then the Ducks; Grin, Tanya, Duke, Mal, Dive... Wing. And the latest addition: Castel.

It's been so short a time... and yet we've become a family. One big family. She smiled and trailed an index finger on Wildwing's picture. You an I... we were strangers... so different and yet... in some ways... so alike.

She leaned back on the chair and shut her eyes. Remembering.

* * *

Never dreaming what we'd have to go through...

(Taken from Allies Part Four: Unity)

"It is useless to run, human!" Nyre heard Wraith's voice boom. She ducked behind some crates and breathed. This guy doesn't give up. She ran to a different location and had her arm singed by a fireball. "Surrender now, child!"

Ouch. She touched the burn and grimaced. "Never you old bag of bones!" She called back and shot a puck. He vanished for a moment and then reappeared as the puck passed. She glanced around and caught sight of a steel ladder leading to the higher portion of the warehouse. If I could just... GO!

Nyre broke into a run and quickly climbed the ladder. When she was near to the top, Wraith suddenly appeared and pulled his scaly hand back, creating a fireball. "Farewell, you wretched human." He sneered.

"Nyre!" She heard someone scream and a blast went off. Wraith disappeared, but the ball of fire didn't, forcing Nyre to let go. She screamed as she felt herself fall.

"Nyre!!!" Dee cried out.

"NO!" That was Drake.

"Do something!"

So this is it. Nyre closed her eyes, everything seemed to slow down. If only I could've... Wildwing. I wish....

"Got you." A male voice came to her ears. The impact never came and Nyre found herself wrapped in someone's arms. "Thank the stars..." She was pulled closer into the person's arms. "I thought. No. I had to make it." Nyre pulled back and gazed into familiar eyes. Wildwing's eyes. "I couldn't let you die like that. You okay, Angel?"

She nodded and he let her stand on her own two feet. "Thank you." She managed to get out.

"NYRE!" Another person hugged her tight. Lavender eyes were brimming with tears. "Thank the Lord you're okay." Dee began to sob. Nyre hugged her back and whispered soft, comforting words.

"She's okay."

* * *

Now here we are and I'm suddenly standing
At the beginning with you...

She smiled and logged off and exited the room. She made her way to the rink and stood at the top of the stairs, watching as her teammates and friends... her family played a friendly game of hockey. Her eyes rested on the goalie on the far left. He anticipated the player coming in for the shot. She smiled as he easily caught the puck.

* * *

No one told me I was going to find you...

(An ordinary day, the group is at the Anaheim Park)

Wildwing pulled off the mask and smiled at his friends. Castel, Dee and Tanya were playing around with the frisbee against Hacker, Ace and Nosedive. Drake and Mal were by the fountain, teaching Castel to get her kite airborne. He smiled and shook his head as it rose high in the air, then crashed to the ground. Castel let out an exasperated sigh and picked it up.

A slight movement caught his eye and he turned his attention to a tiny girl wearing a long, pale blue sundress. Her expression was serene, a tiny smile on her lips as she watched her own daughter. She crossed her arms over her chest, letting her ebony hair blow with the breeze, and turned her head in his direction. She smiled shyly and dropped her gaze and looked away.

The drake smiled to himself and shook his head lightly. Nyre. It's amazing how things worked out between us.

* * *

Unexpected, what you did to my heart...

(Taken from Sheilded Gaze: You and I)

He stood on the pavement, hands in his pockets. The rain began to slowly pour above him. With one hand, he pulled his raincoat tighter. This was one of those nights. He couldn't sleep... his thoughts were bothering him again. A recent mission had nearly cost him more than just one teammate. His own brother and the youngest STROBE, Dee.

A hand slid into his. Shocked, he turned around and saw Nyre smiling weakly up at him. "I saw you leave. I wanted to wait back at the Pond... but you were taking too long." She looked away, "I was worried." She added, glancing back up to him.

"I'm okay." He smiled and placed a hand on her cheek and bent down, giving her a light kiss on her lips. She stared back up at him in disbelief. Suddenly she blushed a deep crimson and he laughed softly, taking her umbrella and pulling her close. "Thank you... for being so wonderful Angel."

"You don't have to thank..."

"Yes, I do. And I think I owe you more than just a thank you." She looked up at him with question. He leaned down and whispered three words that brought tears to her eyes. "I love you...."

* * *

When I lost hope you were there to remind me
This is the start...

(A scene from Search in Limbo)

"We'll never pull this off." Wildwing whispered, looking from left to right.

"We will." A firm voice said behind him. "We'll find her...." Nyre smiled up at him and placed a gentle hand on his cheek. "Don't give up on me Wing. We will find Castel."

* * *

And life is a road and I want keep to going

Love is a river I wanna keep flowing

Life is a road, now and forever, wonderful journey

I'll be there when the world stops turning

I'll be there when the storm is through

In the end I wanna be standing at the beginning with you

* * *

We were strangers on a crazy adventure...

(Set sometime after Shielded Gaze, in a press conference)

"I have a question for Wildwing!" Wing glanced to his teammates and then nodded to the reporter. "Isn't it strange to have a relationship of a person of a different species?"

Silence.

Several pairs of eyes turned to Wing expectantly. Nyre looked away, suddenly uncomfortable. Wildwing squeezed her hand and gave her a smile. "Actually, I don't think our relationship is any of your business," Mallory and Nosedive exchanged glances. Grin was well... no comment. Duke and Drake cast looks at each other and the rest of the team simply watched, quiet.

Wildwing turned his attention to the tiny human beside him. "As far as I'm concerned, I love Nyre... and it doesn't matter if we're different."

* * *

Never dreaming how our dreams would come true...

(Taken from Search In Limbo)

"Canard! Castel!" Nyre ran to her daughter, Wildwing was stunned. There were the two people he thought he's lost... alive and well.

"Mom..." Castel was close to tears. "How'd you find me?"

"Parental instinct?"

Canard walked over to his friend and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Wow," he smiled. "I'm speechless."

"Huh?" Wildwing cocked an eyebrow. Canard smiled and laughed. "Castel told me the whole thing."

"Oh," Wing turned his attention to Nyre and Castel. "Let's get out of here."

* * *

Now here we stand unafraid of the future
At the beginning with you...

"Things are startin' to look bad Wing." Duke grimaced.

"We can do this guys." He gave each of teammates a nod. "Let's rock Ducks!"

Nyre put down her visor and ran out into the fire with a loud shout. "STROBE! Go!"

* * *

And life is a road and I want keep to going
Love is a river I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road, now and forever, wonderful journey
I'll be there when the world stops turning
I'll be there when the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing at the beginning with you...

(From Farewell to Three)

"I propose a toast!" The two teams exchanged glances as Wildwing raised his goblet, standing up. "For health and happiness for all present. And also, for a wonderful life" He smiled to Krysta and Malcolm. "To the bride and groom."

"I second that." Drake stood, motioning for Nyre to do the same since she was the field captain.

"As do I." She smiled. Slowly the others raised their glasses and smiled at each other.

"And even if, Mel and I will be well, a hundred miles from here... we'll be sure to contact the Pond every once in awhile." The twins raised their glasses and gave the others nods.

"We'll miss you." Tanya nodded and glanced at Krysta. "And you."

"We'll always be here in spirit. Besides, Malcolm and I plan to spend Christmas with you guys."

Nyre smiled and touched Wing's hand. The drake glanced to her and smiled brushing his beak on her forehead. "A toast to you, Nyre." She blushed at his words. "And to you."

* * *

Knew there was somebody somewhere
Like me alone in the dark...

The three ducks and the human made their way up the mountain. Canard watched Castel's back, as Wildwing did Nyre. "You sure you two know where we're heading?" the tan, muscular duck asked his best friend.

"Trust me, pal."

"Almost there." Nyre pulled herself up and helped Castel to get onto the flat surface and the two waited for the two boys. They all stared at each other for a moment and then began to laugh with relief.

Mother and daughter hugged each other, reunited, as did the two best friends. "Gotta congratulate you, Wing, buddy." Canard turned his eyes to the two females. "You've got one heck of a family. How are the others?"

"Fine Canard." Wing smiled.

"Good."

"This is so wonderful!" Nyre shouted to the sky. She laughed and walked about a meter from the cliff edge. She smiled and suddenly a strong wind blew, pushing her back a bit. She gasped as the rocks beneath her began to give way.

"Wing! Drop, Castel!" Canard called.

"DAD!" Castel dropped to her knees with the older duck as not to be caught by the wind as well. "Get Mom!"

"Nyre!"

* * *

Now I know my dream will live on
I've been waiting so long
Nothing's gonna tear us apart...

Nyre fell back, and felt her heart stop for a moment. She shut her eyes. I don't want to die.

A hand gripped tightly on her wrist. "Got you!" Her eyes flew open and Wing pulled her back into his arms. Together they dropped to the ground and waited until the wind had ceased blowing.

* * *

And life is a road and I want keep to going
Love is a river I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road, now and forever, wonderful journey

The first things that Castel, Nyre and Wing got were hugs from each of the members of the team, Canard got his share too when the ducks finally noticed he was there. There were questions and more, but Wing and Nyre took notice as they walked out of the room together.

"Well we're back," Wing sighed. "And safe as can be." Nyre hugged him and smiled softly.

"At least." She looked up at him. "You've got Canard back now, does that mean you'll be leader no more?"

"Nope." He shook his head. "I spoke to him while you were fussing over Cassy back in Limbo, he personally told me he wanted me to stick with the job." He ran a hand through her ebony locks. "Would you want it any other way?"

She raised an eyebrow, "And have someone else as my field partner? No way!" She poked his ribs. "Why? You wanna get rid of me?"

"Nope." He laughed and kissed her lightly. "I love you."

"You too."

* * *

I'll be there when the world stops turning
I'll be there when the storm is through...
In the end I wanna be standing at the beginning with you...

"And the ducks win five to three!" Nyre jumped up and down in her seat and hugged Dee. "Ducks win the Championships!" The announcer blared from the speakers.

"Nyre!" Wing shouted and she ran into the ice and straight into his arms.

* * *

Life is a road and I wanna keep going
Love is a river I wanna keep going... on...
Starting out on a journey...

Two figures walked the streets of Anaheim late that night, fingers entwined. The dim lights of the lamp posts cast shadows about them. "It's been so long since you guys came here to Earth, y'know."

"I know."

"You had the chance to return to Puckworld when the younger Brotherhood came for Duke... Why didn't you leave with them?" Nyre asked softly. He stayed quiet for a moment then pulled her close. "Wing?"

"Leaving here would mean leaving you... if I know you, you'd never leave this world to be elsewhere. Besides, we aren't finished with Dragaunus. He's still out there, plotting and being a major pain. I couldn't go knowing that he could hurt the one person I love... and besides, Castel wouldn't let me, she'd blow a fuse." Nyre laughed softly and hugged him back. "But seriously, angel..." He brushed some strands from her eyes, "I wouldn't leave unless you agreed to go." And he let his beak brushed her forehead. "Remember, I will always love you."

Life is a road and I wanna keep going
Love is a river I wanna keep flowing
In the end I wanna be standing at the beginning
With you...


The End
Back to Nyre's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction