Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Twenty-Two

Lance looked over the crowd in awe. Joey had reported that there were around 500 hunters fighting on their side, but looking at them straight in the face... It seemed like more. He swallowed nervously and wondered to himself whether this had been a good idea. Who would follow him? He was just a hunter, like everyone else in this room. But he knew they would because they believed him to be greater than he was.

But I'm still only one man... no matter what happens or what I can or cannot do... I'm still a man.

He raised his hand to get the crowd's attention. He motioned to his team to come up onto the platform with him. They looked confused but did as they were told.

"Hunters!! In less than an hour the sun will set and we will make history. For those of you I haven't had the chance to meet yet, my name is Lance Bass. The men you see behind me are my friends and partners." He motioned to each in turn. "Joey, Justin, Chris and JC. I'm sure you've gotten a chance to meet at least one of us since you've arrived. A few months back the five of us united to start a war. A war against these Saurians. We never believed it would get this big or we would have this kind of support so for this, we thank you.

I'm sure you have heard, some say I'm a friend of the man the Prophecies speak of. I'm not sure if that is accurate or not but what I do know is we're going to stop Emerel and his horde and we're going to do it tonight. This is our only chance, hunters. We have to be quick, certain and sure. There is very little room for error tonight. As many of us that are here, we are still outnumbered 2, maybe even 3, to 1. We do not know the size or strength of Emerel's army. What we do know is that everyone in this building is trained, experienced and prepared. Our job is to kill off our foe Saurians. Emerel's army has some pretty tough recruits but, for the most part, they are just Saurians. Saurians who haven't had the training we have. Have faith in yourselves and in your fellow hunters. We WILL DO WELL!!

This is the night we've all waited for. This night is the reason some of us became hunters! This is our opportunity. This is our revenge. We have to do this for those we've lost; our parents, our siblings, our children, our boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives. This is where we make them pay! Tonight is the night we make them pay for our pain and our loss. We are not only fighting for survival. We are also fighting for our loved ones, those living and those deceased. We are fighting for our FREEDOM!! Freedom to go out after dark with no fear. Freedom to live our own lives again. This is the night, hunters, so let's go out there and do our best!!" Lance lifted his fist solidly in the air and held his breathe, praying that his speech gave them the motivation they needed.

Immediately fists rose in the air and there was a roar of voices, some yelling, grunting, hollering. They were ready and now the team was certain that they were too.

***

JC stood in front of the troops at the gates of Emerel's headquarters. "EMEREL!! WE'VE BROUGHT YOU YOUR FIGHT!! COME OUT YOU COWARD!"

JC's patience was spent. They had stood, pounding and yelling, outside Emerel's gate for the last half hour. As JC began to organize a group of hunters to chop down a tree to use as a battering ram, the gates swung open. JC forced himself to keep a poker face as he saw the lawn and building in front of him infested with other alien lizards. They were sitting in windows and trees. They were everywhere. It was impossible to try to guess how many were there because you couldn't see them all. There were some in the mansion behind and hundreds on the front lawn alone.

After a moment he spotted who he was looking for. Emerel stood nonchalantly and patiently. Waiting for the hunters to make the first move. Behind him, in a cage dangling over a huge container of some sort, was Mallory. She looked frightened.

JC stepped forward. "It's rude to keep invited guests waiting, Emerel." JC practically snarled in his anger. The mere sight of the creature enough to invoke rage.

"Well, if it isn't Joshua Chasez. Since I'm certain I killed you quite a while back and you seem to be helping this bunch of vagrants, you must be the man I've been seeking. I didn't know you had it in you Chasez."

"You need to be more careful of who you underestimate, Emerel."

"And here I could've sworn that the death of your dear friend would've broken your spirit. Maybe she didn't mean so much to you after all."

"EMEREL!! Don't you dare speak of Kara to me!"

"Ahhh, so there is still a soft spot for her. Good. I'd hate to think I wasted my time killing her for nothing."

Lance put up his hand to get the hunters' attention. "Emerel, we've done what you requested. We brought you your fight. Let Mallory go."

"Oh, I think not. Once I kill you, Joshua, and all of your flunkies I plan to spend some quality time with her. I've only waited this long because I wanted to be certain that I wouldn't be disturbed."

Mallory called in desperation. "Joshua, don't do this. You guys are not ready. I'm not worth it. If I die another McMallard will eventually be born... It'll be a massacre!"

JC couldn't believe that Mallory had lost hope but he supposed it made sense. The only way Emerel could've caught her was if he had defeated her. She probably wasn't taking that too well.

"We'll just have to take that chance, Mal."

Emerel took a step forward. "Then what are you waiting for Chasez? Don't you have a bone to pick with me?" The Saurian snarled and motioned for JC to step forward.

All the hunters withdrew their weapons and rushed forward, intent on some Saurian killing.

JC walked towards Emerel. "This time it's just me and you Em. They'll be no holding me back while you kill someone I love. This time I'm going to kill you."

"Big words from such a small man. I do admire your spunk. It will be a pleasure to kill you... again."

"Bring it on."

Emerel leaped forward. JC caught him in mid-air and threw him into a nearby fountain. He pulled his laser from his trench coat pocket and then pulled off his coat and threw it aside. He dropped into a crouching stance and waited for Emerel's next advance. Emerel was less hasty this time and thus they began to circle, studying each other's movements and waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

Hunters - ducks and humans alike - fought bravely all around. Some on the front lawn, some on the back, some cornered inside the house. Justin and Chris found spots along side the wall of the property. Justin shot bow after bow from his crossbow with such speed and precision that few of the aliens even got close to the pair of them. Those that Justin missed, Chris sliced and diced. It was a fighting method they had perfected since meeting JC and Lance.

"Listen, Justin, I'm sorry for the crap I said earlier. You know, the Guardian stuff."

Justin looked up briefly at his friend. "Thank you. I'm sorry for getting you into this in the first place. I know it's not how you intended to spend your life." He shot and killed another one.

"I've been thinking about that, Jus. I'm actually glad this happened. It feels good to be helping out, ya know? I think if we survive this fight... Well, I think I would like to continue helping people somehow."

Justin smiled. "Me too, Chris. I think I'd like to do that too. Oh man, above you!!"

Chris looked up in time to slice the Saurian trying to drop down on them from a nearby tree.

"Thanks! That was a close one!"

"That's what friends are for."

Lance worked through the crowd, killing predating Saurians almost effortlessly. Due to the sheer horde of them, he found he was having to really focus and hone in on his senses just to stay on his feet. Killing twenty in a bar was one thing, having to watch all sides of you at once was another entirely. While trying to pay attention to everything at once, he spotted her. Nicolette ran into the house, dodging hunters. Lance took off after her.

He followed her up the staircase, killing any Saurians who were stupid enough to get in his way. As he reached the top of the stairs he saw her whisk into a room at the end of the hall. Being careful to watch for any traps, he dashed after her.

As he reached the room, he peered cautiously inside. She was standing in the middle of the room, alone, gesturing him to come forward. "Come on in, Lance. There's no trap."

Lance straightened and entered the room, still not trusting her word. "Nicolette, I've been looking for you."

"You have? I'm flattered. I've been around. All you had to do was mention my name."

"Last time I saw you, you had just killed my best friend."

"What can I say? Being part Saurian is tricky that way."

"You can't have me, Nik. You know that don't you?"

She nodded. "I know you're not going to let me but that doesn't mean I can't just take you."

"I can't let you keep masquerading with her face, Saurian. I think it's time we finished this." He grabbed his saber.

"You think it's all cut and dry, don't you? Just kill me and save your love?"

"It seems fairly simple to me."

"We've promised her immunity, Lance." Lance whipped around, saber still pointed in Nicolette's direction.

"Wildwing? What are you doing here? What are you talking about?"

"She's been our source, Lance. We've promised her that she will be unharmed as long as she helped us. You have to let her go."

"Wing, this isn't about some sent source or some war, this is personal. I may be helping you out, but you can't barge in here and tell me what to do."

"Well, we've made her that promise, Lance. She is NOT to be harmed.... We may still need her if Josh fails."

"Josh will not fail! I mean, he just can't fail.." Lance grumbled in anger. Not only at Wildwing's last statement but also because he was keeping him from doing something that he had to do. "My Nicolette is trapped inside that THING! The only way to free her is to kill it. I won't allow you guys or anyone else to tell me what I can or cannot do."

"Lance, the Nicolette you're referring to is gone. She's dead. She's moved on. This is not going to help her." Wildwing pleaded with Lance. "She's done so much to help our cause. We have to keep our promise. It's the right thing to do."

"She is NOT gone, Wing. I can feel her. I can sense her in this very room and I HAVE to free her."


Go to Chapter Twenty-Twhree
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction