Lance's Origin

By Lance

Chapter Thirteen

JC seemed deep in thought so Lance wandered off into the trees, anxious to have some time to himself. He did not go far since he was not that familiar with the area but he did know where a grove of trees were located that would be perfect for some solitude.

Within minutes he had entered the clearing, relieved to be out in the open and away from the pressures of his life. There was a fallen tree located through the center and he used it as a seat.

"Why?" He said out loud to no one in particular. "Why me? Why couldn't my life had just worked out like in a movie? Happily ever after and all that."

He placed his head in his hands, feeling sorry for himself. The more he tried not to think of her, the more memories came flooding in.

"How am I ever going to have the strength to end this?"

As if in answer, he heard a cackle like mocking laughter. She's mocking me. Making fun of my pain.

He remembered the look of determination on her face. She had wanted him. She still cared. She was evil and half-Saurian but she still cared about him.

He stood up and yelled at himself, "You're such an idiot!! She wanted to KILL you not marry you. She's not Nicolette anymore." And then it began to really sink in, the creature that had been following him, the one that wore her face, she was not Nicolette. His fiancee was gone.

"Gone...."

Again he heard the mocking laughter. He looked around but saw nothing but darkness. I'm losing my mind. I can't even go out without hearing her laughing at me. I'm slowly, but surely, going absolutely crazy!

He turned to head back to where he had left JC, worried that the distress he was under was causing him to hear things.

Llllllllaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

It was like a gentle breeze flowing through the trees. He spun around in circles, looking into the trees with more intent than before.

Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Laaaaaaaaaannnnnnccccccceeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy....

He eyes got wide when he realized he had to be her. Nicolette was the only person to ever call him Lancey.

"Oh my god! JC!"

He made a dash out of the clearing, taking only moments to reach the forest's edge. Not paying attention to anything but where he was headed, he dodged trees and branches.

"JC!!!" he screamed, hoping to warn his friend of the danger they were in. He dropped his arm grabbing his saber into his hands.

And then he was out of the woods, he took a second to look around, adjusting his eyes to the night vision. That's when he saw them. It was like a dream puzzle, pieces going into place one at a time in slow motion. The love of his life stood ten feet from him, ray gun in her hand. Lying limp in her arms was the body of his friend. JC was hanging over Kara's tombstone.

Nicolette threw JC's body over the tombstone, careless of the weight. She wiped the blood away from her sleeve.

"You didn't......." Lance stood in shock as she threw her head back and laughed.

"One down, lover. But in the end you will always have me."

Before he could react she took off, disappearing into the trees. He ran over to JC and pulled him off his friend's grave, laying him on the ground. He checked for a pulse.

"Oh please god, don't be dead. Please, please, please. It'll be all my fault. Please don't be dead." He felt the wetness of tears dripping down his check but he didn't care. He reached for his arm to check his pulse.

thump

thump

thump

It was very faint and there was too much space between the beats for comfort. "Oh shit! Hang in there, JC." Grabbing his friend under the arms and legs he lifted him up and carried him back to the van. Placing him gently inside he grabbed a rag from the backseat to tie around his waist, slowing the blood flow. Then he slammed the van door and ran to the driver side. Placing the key in the ignition, he put the van in reverse and set out determinedly for the only place he could think of to save JC.

He parked the van outside and ran around, wasting no time in picking up his friend. Running up the front walkway, he was careful to avoid anything that might make him trip in his haste to get inside. He grabbed the doorknob and was immediately thankful that it was unlocked.

Once inside, he carried the body into the sitting area where he found Joey and Chris playing a video game.

"Oh crap! What happened? Lance!?!"

Lance ignored their gaping faces and questions. He did not have time for them. "JUSTIN!!!!!! GET IN HERE!! QUICK!!"

He laid JC on the couch, stretching him out. The pale color of his skin made Lance uneasy. "JUSTIN????"

"Yeah, yeah! What's all the yelling about?" The young man rushed down the stairs, confused. He practically tripped on the last stair when he saw JC on the couch. "Oh my god! What happened?"

"We were attacked! Please! Help him." Lance's eyes pleaded and that kicked Justin into gear. He ran over to JC's side. Taking a deep breath, he placed both hands over JC's chest and closed his eyes.

Chris, Joey and Lance stood back in silence, praying for Justin to succeed. After five minutes, Justin pulled back, sighed and looked at Lance.

"I...I...can't do anything. He's already dead."

"Then bring him back, damnit. Anything! Please!" Lance wouldn't accept it. JC couldn't be dead.

Justin eyes filled with tears. "I'm sorry, Lance. I can't bring him back. I can only heal the living. JC is dead."

"NOOOOOO!! You don't understand. He can't be dead. He can't be..." Lance rushed back to his friend's side and began to shake him. "Wake up, damnit! Wake up. You're not dead, JC. You're not! Wake up!!"

Joey and Chris grabbed Lance's arms, pulling him away from the couch. "He's gone, Lance."

Lance shook his head in rejection. "No, he can't be."

"He is!! You have to let him go!" Joey looked Lance in the eyes bringing his attention away from JC.

"He's gone. Gone!"

Lance pulled away from their grasp and ran out of the house.

Justin, overcome with grief and sadness, "Shouldn't we go after him?"

"No, I think he needs to be alone. He has to let this sink in." Joey looked over at JC sorrowfully. "Let's get some rest. In the morning we'll see about burying him next to his friend."

Chris nodded in silence, uncertain of what to say or how to react. Justin sniffled and then turned away, embarrassed for the other guys to see how upset he was.

One by one they retreated upstairs to the sanctity and privacy of their own quarters, to mourn in peace.


Go to Chapter Fourteen
Back to Lance's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction