Dark Powers

by Princess Sheeba Marie

 

"6:54 P.M., an abandoned warehouse just outside of Anaheim

So, uhh, how exactly do we go about planting these?' Chameleon asked, staring at the blue, metallic orb in his hands. It had no buttons or wires, was just a perfect sphere. "Just like this." She answered, using the claw on her little finger to open a hinge that Chameleon had overlooked. The top of the object slid off, revealing a tangles mess of wire, a digital clock and programming buttons. "Ohh." He muttered dully. "Hold it right there, lizards!" Wild Wing's voice rang out across the warehouse. "Whoa! Looks like Draggy's got a girl friend!" Nose Dive said, pushing his way into the doorway. "You little scum-bag!" Sheeba snarled, throwing the bomb that they were supposed to plant at Chameleon and opening fire on the ducks. Chameleon quickly joined the battle; after first making sure that any stray fire wouldn't hit the thing she had tossed at him and causean explosion. The ducks were surprised at how fiercely the Saurian female fought, but six against two isn't really a fair fight and the ducks soon won. After the Saurians had left, Tanya walked cautiously to where Chameleon had left the explosive device. "What is that thing, Tanya?" Mallory asked, walking up behind her. "An explosive device, of some kind." She answered picking up the sphere. "Why would Dragaunus want to blow up an old warehouse?" Duke asked, looking around at the boxes, and crates, which filled the room and were piled up to the ceiling. "I'm not sure, but I don't think it will be long before we find out." Wild Wing answered him.

Control Room: The Raptor:
Siege and Wraith watched from the doorway as Dragaunus questioned Sheeba and Chameleon as to why they had failed. Chameleon cowered behind Sheeba, who was standing about in the center of the room, at attention with her eyes glazed over. "You've failed me!" he roared at her. "I thought you could carry out a few simple orders, but I see now that I was wrong about you." He walked around in front of her, and tried to decide how close of attention she was paying to what he was ranting about. She knew what she had to say to get him to calm down, so she figured she might as well say it and be done with it. She hung her head in false shame. "I am truly sorry, my Lord. It won't happen again." "You're right, it won't." He answered strangely. "Sheeba, you stay, but you three, GET OUT!" he ordered. Chameleon didn't waste any time getting to the door, and was glad that being yelled at had been the worst thing that happened to him.

Out in the hallway, Siege paced back and forth nervously. "How come she never gets in trouble for anything?" he asked himself more than Chameleon or Wraith. "Well, in my opinion, it's because Lord Dragaunus has feelings for her" Wraith answered walking in his usual awkward stride to where Siege was pacing. "Who wouldn't have feelings for her?" Chameleon asked. "She's beautiful." "No, no." the old sorcerer continued. "Real feelings, beyond just thinking she's pretty on the outside." "If that's true, why doesn't he purpose to her?" Siege snorted at him. "That I can't answer." Wraith said dismally. They stood there silent for a long time, trying to hear what Sheeba and Dragaunus were talking about. Finally, unable to hear much, Chameleon and Siege left the hallway, and only Wraith remained. After about a half-hour of waiting, he too started to leave. But just as he did, the door to the control room opened and Sheeba walked out. "Hello, there." He said, not getting a reply. "Sheeba, do you know of the Ancient Powers?" he asked her, trying to get some kind of response. "Some" she answered blankly "I think, maybe, your plans for world take over may be more successful if you relied more on the Powers, and less on technology." "Oh, really?" she said with more expression in her voice. "Yes, Princess, and I have the perfect thing to help. A jealousy spell." "I think I know, but what will it do to them?" She asked, a loose outline of a plan starting to creep its way into her mind. "Once cast, those ducks will be so jealous that they won't be able to fight us for fighting with each other." "Sounds good, but what is the catch?" she asked looking down at the floor expecting him to say a raise, or his own private island when they did conquer this planet. "All you have to do is convince Dragaunus to allow me to proceed with this plan." He said, looking at her in an odd manner. "Sure, but one question, WHAT ARE YOU STARING AT?!?" she snarled at him. "I'm just wondering how you're going to convince Dragaunus to use the Powers instead of technology." He answered, not quite truthfully. "Ohh.. I have my ways." She said, turning and walking away from him.

10:03 P.M, Sheeba's private quarters
Sheeba was sitting at her private computer, exploring the primitive thing that the humans called "InterNet" It was extremely easy to hack into it with out paying, at least compared to the security she had gotten through on Puck World. She looked around her place with satisfaction. She had stolen well over $9000.00 worth of 'decorations' from various places around Anaheim, ranging from the mall, to the museum, and even 'Lectronics Land. Her 'borrowing' had gotten her and aquarium, blue Imac computer and printer, Ancient Egyptian pottery and art, king-sized water bed, a strobe light, a display case containing all kinds of mediaeval knives and daggers, a disco ball which hung in the center of the room, and much, much more. Too much, in fact to name. The door opened slowly, and Chameleon peeked in. "What do you want?" she questioned, turning around to look at him.

"I love what you've done with the place." He said, watching the schools of tropical fish swim back and forth in her aquarium. "I do know style when I se it." She said wiping a hair off of the keyboard of her computer. "What do you want?" She questioned again. "Oh, yeah…just want to know if you know when the last time was that Lucky was out." "Ehh.. about eight, I think." She answered looking at the grandfather's clock that sat catty-corner near the door. "All right, I had probably better take him out again so he doesn't' does anything on the floor." He said, walking back out of her room and calling the puppy's name. She couldn't help but smiling at him. Since he'd gotten the pup, he'd been noticeably more responsible, if not towards his job, at least towards the puppy. Several minutes later, the door opened again, only this time, Wraith stood in her doorway. "What's up?." Sheeba said without turning around. "Everything is ready Princess Sheeba." He said seeming not quite as dismal and depressed as usual. "Good. Good. Maybe next time we meet up with those ducks, we may very well win." She answered, still not turning around. "So will this really work?" She asked suddenly feeling insecure about using the Ancient Powers instead of technology. "I'm almost sure, unless you can't get Dragaunus to agree with our plans." He said, turning to leave. "Trust me, you don't have to worry about Dragaunus." She said, tipping her chair back he was already gone, so she didn't get a response, and quickly went back to 'Surfin the Net' as the humans called it.

"So how is that bomb detonated?" Wild Wing asked Tanya, who was poking her way through the tangled mess of wires that were in cased inside of the orb. " Remote control." "How powerful is it?" he asked, amazed at how easily she navigated through the jungle of wires. "Uhh.. really, really powerful. If we hadn't stopped those two, pieces of Anaheim would still probably be raining down on LA" "Why would the Saurians want a bomb that powerful, just to blow up a warehouse?" he asked, more to himself than anyone else. "Maybe it's not the warehouse they're after." Tanya said strangely, and looked up from the bomb.

Sheeba, Siege and Wraith had been called to the control room in the Raptor, and Dragaunus was standing in front of them, with his eyes fixed on Sheeba, who wasn't paying any attention to the gawking, she had actually grown quite accustomed to it. After a while of watching Dragaunus watch Sheeba, Wraith had grown tired of just standing there, and asked why Dragaunus had called them there. "Because, I understand you and Sheebie have hatched quite a little plan for getting rid of those ducks." "Well, yeah, using the Ancient Powers" he answered slowly. "What does that have to do with me?" Siege asked, glaring at Sheeba and Wraith evilly. "Because you're going to make sure that he has time to cast the spell." Dragaunus answered, pointing to Siege. "I can do that, sir, and he wouldn't have to go." Sheeba said, cringing at the thought of Siege going with them. "He's' going." "Dragaunus answered coldly. Sheeba drew her head up almost as if him ordering her around was an insult, but a sly little smile came to her face, and she replied "As you wish, Lord Dragaunus." And then teleported out.

The ducks were down on the ice practicing when Drake Ones alarms started going off, alerting them to the disturbance at the same warehouse. "Those lizards just don't know when to quit." Duke said when they reached the old warehouse for the second time in two days. "Come on. Let's just go and get it over with." Wild Wing said, walking towards the door, annoyed by the disturbance. Everything was quiet. The silence was suddenly broken though by a loud sneeze, followed by another and another "heh heh, sorry about that." Tanya sniffled, digging around in her pocket for the prescription nasal spray which she had gotten several days before. Every thing inside was quiet, but the silence was once again broken, not by sneezes, this time though, by laser fire. "You stupid idiot!" Sheeba roared at Siege, "I told you not to fire yet!" It took him several minutes to decide whether he wanted to s shoot at her or the ducks, but finally decided if he didn't want to get ripped apart by Dragaunus, he should shoot at the ducks instead of Sheeba.

Sheeba and Siege were the only things reptilian to be seen, and strangely enough, they were doing a fair job at backing the ducks into a far corner. They didn't even realize what the two were doing, until Mallory started firing towards the corner. Duke was the next to realize what was happening, and at seeing Wraith, knew that something bad was about to happen. Sheeba was doing most of the work, keeping Wild Wing, Nose Dive and Grin busy, dodging flying pucks and still managing to fire back, all while spewing off a line of 'choice phrases'. Siege was doing a fair amount of dodging pucks, all though he wasn't doing much firing back, all being done with much less talk than Princess Sheeba. Wraith was not throwing fireballs, and was instead standing there looking like a giant mantis about to pounce on a fly, reading text from an ancient scroll. The ground started shaking and thunderclouds appeared outside. Lightning streaked across the sky and over the noise of thunder and wind, Sheeba yelled to Siege "Let's go now!" And teleported back to the Raptor. Everything suddenly grew quiet, the thunder and lightning stopped, and all attention turned to the old sorcerer in the corner He raised his staff, and shot a strange, green light at the ducks which upon touching them, spread around their bodies and caused them to glow like the light itself. They were paralyzed in place, until Wraith lowered his staff again and teleported back to the Raptor. As soon as he was gone, the sky cleared off, and everything looked as it did before the attack. The ducks looked around, dazed. "Is everyone all right?" Wild Wing asked, checking his body armor for damage. "Yeah, I think so." Mallory answered, trying to shake off the tired feeling that the light had left behind. "We'd better get back to the Pond infirmary to try and find out what that was, and what it might do." Tanya said, walking shakily to the door.

"What have I been telling you ever since we landed on this planet?" Wraith asked, following Dragaunus around the control room. "Yes, I know!" he snapped back at him. "Hey, hey, hey, let's break out the bubbly!" Sheeba exclaimed, walking at a casual stride into the room. "We haven't won yet." Wraith corrected her. "Aww, chill out!" Sheeba answered, brought down by his dismal attitude. "Can't you just say 'This plan if flawless' once, just for me?" she asked sarcastically "Humor me." He said annoyed by her hyper attitude. "Uhh… actually, that's Chameleon's job." She said, walking away from him, "but I'll try." She was silent for a few moments, then continued, "Okay this Duck walks into a bar, and he says to the bar tender, he says--" "Lord Dragaunus, can't you make her leave me alone?" Wraith asked growing more and more tired of her being so hyper. "I could, Wraith, but as much as you've annoyed me, I think that you deserve some pay back." He answered, giving Sheeba a playful look and then going over and sitting down in his throne. "So how long before this spell starts taking effect on those birds?" Sheeba asked, suddenly calm again. "By in the morning." Wraith answered, leaving the room. "Strange." Sheeba said, still looking at the doorway. Things were quiet for a while. Sheeba watched a group of about six drones walk by. "Do you really believe this will work?" Dragaunus asked looking over at her. "Yeah… I think it will." "You THINK it will?!" he growled at her. "No plan is absolutely fool proof. I mean we have plenty of fools running around here whom could blunder it up, but Wraith guarantees it will work." "I hope you're right." He answered.

"So what have you found out about what happened earlier?" Mallory asked Tanya. "It was an Ancient Saurian spell of some kind, but I'm not sure what effect, if any, that it will have on us." She answered, not looking up from the microscope that she was staring down. "Just great, a scientist that doesn't even know what she's looking for." Dive complained from the couch. Everyone turned and glared at him, but no one said anything. It had been a long day, and they figured he was just tired.
Wraith had been watching them from his crystal ball. He realized that the spell was working, and that maybe, if all went right, the Saurian Empire might once again rise to greatness.

The Pond: 8:31 A.M.
"But Wild Wing, he started it!" Mallory complained to their leader. "Nuh-huh, it's her fault!" Nose Dive shot back, giving Mal a dirty look. "How come you're always complaining to me with your problems?" Wing snapped at them both. "Guys, guys, calm down!" Tanya shrieked, awakened by the shouting coming from the rec. room. "Mind your own business!" Mallory growled at her. Tanya took several steeps back; startled by the way her friends were acting. She apologized and left the three arguing ducks to their verbal battle. She walked out into the hallway, wondering what had gotten into the three, she heard a loud crash in the kitchen. She rushed in to find Duke picking himself up off the floor, and Grin standing in a battle stance, ready to fight. "What are you doing?!" Tanya shrieked at the two. "This jerk here thinks he's better than me." Duke said, rubbing the back of his head. "It was only self defense." Grin interrupted. "He attacked me with that saber and was trying to cut my head off!" "That ain't true!" Duke protested. "Yes it is and you know it, thief!" Grin yelled at him. "You take that back!" Duke demanded. "Why should I, it's true!" Grin yelled back "Guys, guys GUYS calm down." Tanya said, stepping in between the two of them. Grin pushed her out of the way, and once again was told to mind her own business, and then the two started fighting again. Tanya just stood there, wondering at why everyone was acting so jealous of each other. Everyone, that was, except her. Everything was fine last night, except for what Dive had said about her not knowing what she was looking for. She wasn't absolutely sure, but she figured that what Wraith had done was the reason the others were acting strange. But why hadn't it effected her?

"Good news, Lord Dragaunus." Wraith said, walking into the control room. "Oh, what, Siege stuck his finger in an electrical socket, just to se what would happen?" Sheeba asked with false concern. "No." Wraith answered blankly. "The spell has started taking effect on the ducks.," he said, turning towards Dragaunus and trying to ignore Sheeba. "Excellent." Dragaunus replied, not looking at him. "SIEGE, CHAMELEON, GET DOWN HERE!!" he yelled. "You bellowed?" Chameleon asked as he teleported into the room, quickly followed by Siege. "You two and Wraith go set the explosives." He ordered. "Hey, what about her?" Chameleon protested, pointing at Sheeba. "Don't question his authority, just do it!" Sheeba hissed at him. Chameleon didn't say any more, just teleported out, followed by the other two henchmen. "Ya, know" Sheeba said once the three were gone, "it's just terrible that the only Balerium crystals on this continent have to be under a ware house." "Not for long." Dragaunus sneered.

"So what's the matter with them?" Phil asked, staring at his team which for their own good, Tanya had placed in separate cells to stop them from fighting with each other. "When we last met up with Dragaunus' henchmen, Wraith cast a spell on us. I'm not sure why it didn't have any effect on me." She answered, searching her vast intelligence for an answer. "Wraith? Isn't that the creep who hypnotized me several moths ago?" he asked "Yup." She answered shortly before Drake One's alarms started going off. "Not now!" she muttered, knowing that she couldn't stop the Saurians from doing whatever evil they were attempting by her self.

"-And soon, this planet will belong to us." Chameleon said, setting the last of the bombs. "Not this time!" a familiar voice trailed from the doorway. The three turned to see Tanya and Phil standing there. "I thought you took care of them ducks!" Siege snarled at Wraith. "Well, I did, but you can't actually expect one duck and one human to stop us, can you?" "Yeah, you can." Phil answered, holding up a puck gun. "Oh, please!" Chameleon laughed reaching for his own laser. The battle once again had begun, and the human and duck were out numbered and quickly backed into a corner. "Say your prayers, ducky!" Chameleon said, lifting his laser up eye level with Tanya. Before he could fire, it was quickly shot out of his hand, not by another duck, but by, Klegghorn.

This distracted the Saurians to shooting at the human, giving Tanya and Phil ample time to start shooting again, and with the three of them there, they quickly overpowered the Saurians. "Never thought I'd be so glad to see you." Phil muttered at Klegghorn. "Yeah, yeah…Well don't think I did it out of the kindness of my heart. You two are disturbing the peace." "But we're out in the middle of no where." Phil protested. "Correction, you're just inside the Anaheim city limits, but not to worry, next time you do something like this, you'll be going down town." He threatened as he walked away. Due to all of the dust that they had stirred up during the gunfight, Tanya started sneezing and began digging around in her pocket again, but suddenly a thought ran through her mind. What had she done yesterday that the others hadn't? The spray? It was the only thing she had really considered, and it was worth a try.

When they got back to the pond, Tanya coaxed Mallory over to the bars of her prison and sprayed her in the face. She shook her head several times, and as Tanya had imagined, returned to her normal, sarcastic bad with machines self within minutes.

When all of the other ducks had been treated, and released from their holding cells, they began apologizing for the things they had done and said, but were generally forgiven. It wasn't their fault; it was Saurian sorcery at work.


Epilogue: The Raptor
Sheeba shifted nervously back and forth. It wasn't being yelled at that bothered her, it was the fact that one duck and two humans had stopped them from taking over this world. She had been the only one called into the control room, the others were told to stay out in the hallway. Several drones walked by, and were swiftly blasted by Dragaunus. They were so close to her, and she flinched to keep from getting hit by flying debris The room once again grew silent, except for the occasional sizzle from some part of one of the drones which now lay in pieces. Finally, after what seemed like a long time due to the silence, what she figured would be her lecture started in. "Sheeba, those henchmen are an embarrassment to the Saurian Empire. They're complete failures, and." Sheeba didn't know how to reply to this, so she just nodded her head in agreement. She knew that as mad as he was, if she said something wrong, she'd find out about it. "It's going to take something more than the powers or technology, Lord Dragaunus. I'm not sure what, though" she said, thinking hard about exactly what to say. She knew it wasn't fully Wraith's fault, it was more of a bad timed coincidence. "Even with you here on this planet, we're still out numbered." He growled. Again, she didn't know how to reply, so she nodded her head respectfully. "I've tried everything," he continued, "invading their head quarters, hypnotizing their manager, any even turning a B.R.A.W.N. soldier loose on them" "Yes, it does seem like you've kept them quite busy" she commented trying for once to be the rational one. "You may go, but get Wraith in here." He said coldly. "Yes sir, right away." She answered, scurrying towards the door. "Psssst, Wraith, Dragaunus wants ta' talk to ya', and I don't think it it's going to be pleasant." She warned, slipping down the hallway towards her room silently, occasionally shuddering at the sound of exploding computer monitors.

She sat alone, thinking of what she had said, what else could they do. The ducks had that super computer and they were always being detected That brought a though t to her mind…"Would it be possible to modify their technology so that they would be undetectable?"

The End?


This page hosted by Get your own FREE Home Page