Shadows of the Past

By Cassandra

Dana Maldrake heedlessly listened to the Puckworld morning news as she prepared breakfast in her spotless kitchen. Her husband, Jordan, was getting ready upstairs to leave for his job as a psychiatric therapist.

She had just finished setting the table when he entered the kitchen, tightening his necktie. "Morning, hon," she said with a smile.

He returned her smile. "Good morning, love." They had been married for a number of years now, and practiced the same routine day after day, yet they never seemed to tire of it. She would prepare breakfast while he readied upstairs; then he'd eat, kiss her goodbye and leave for the day. Afterwards, she would get ready herself, then, during the week, she would walk ten minutes to the local elementary school and teach her third grade class. On weekends, she would run her daily errands of fetching groceries, cleaning their quaint two-story house located in the suburbs of Sikarta, and usually, when Jordan wasn't swamped at the office, they would enjoy a romantic dinner, a movie, or a long stroll through the peaceful parts of the city. She sighed contentedly just picturing her arm looped around her husband's as they leisurely walked through a quiet park.

She silently watched Jordan move his tie into place from the corner of her eye. It was the middle of the week and Dana was already longing for the weekend. "What are you thinking about?" Her husband's concerned voice interrupted her thoughts.

She mentally shook the thoughts of the weekend away and regarded him kindly. "Nothing, hon." She turned off the stove. "I hope you're in the mood for blueberry pancakes."

He came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. "You know they're my favorite, Dana." He lightly kissed her on the side of the head.

She laughed softly. "After all these years, and you're still a charmer." She turned so she was facing him, his arms still around her slim waist. "You know I just love to be charmed."

The corners of his mouth turned up in the crooked, playful smile she cherished. "Oh, so that's why you married me."

She slapped him playfully on the shoulder and he backed away, feigning hurt. "And I'm beginning to think you only married me for my pancakes."

He took a seat at the table, and picked up the morning paper, while she filled their plates. The television was muttering softly from the corner of the room. "In recent updates on the Resistance war heroes..."

Jordan scowled and tossed the paper aside. "I can't believe the news is still reporting on those seven! I know, if it wasn't for them, we'd still be enslaved by the Saurians, but it's been years since we've heard anything! Why do you think they still bother with this story?"

She shrugged. "Don't know.... guess news has been pretty slow lately."

He returned to the paper, while Dana cast an eye at the newscaster. "...and through a stroke of luck, this news station has been able to acquire photos of all seven Puckworld heroes. Here are the six photos we've shown you on countless occasions..."

Dana snorted as she placed a glass of juice on the table. Gee, sounds like you're getting pretty sick of having to report on these 'heroes' yourself, buddy. She grabbed the two plates full of food off the counter. "But here is the shot everyone has been unable to acquire. An actual photo of the famed thief and hero, Duke l'Orange."

Duke l'Orange himself, huh? Doubtful. She cast a sideways glance at the television to catch a glimpse of the famed criminal turned hero, and gasped in total shock. Her astonishment caused her to drop the plates onto the tile floor, where they splintered to pieces, and the sudden noise caused Jordan to jump to his feet. "Dana, what are you-"

He looked at her, her dark brown eyes wide and filled with tears as she stared at the broadcast. She had her hands clasped over her mouth in disbelief. He stole a glance at the television, but didn't recognize the photo of the gray drake on the screen. "Dana, sweetheart, what is it?"

She didn't answer. It was as if she was no longer in the same room with him. Her legs shook uncontrollably, and she placed one hand against the counter to steady herself. Jordan rushed to her side and took her face in his hands, making her look at him. "Dana, please, tell me what's wrong."

Tears fell from her eyes as the picture vanished from the screen. "Jordan, did you see it? It-it's him! Oh, Gods, I...I didn't think I would ever see him again, and now..."

She pressed her head against his chest and cried softly in his arms. He made crooning noises, telling her everything was all right, and that he was there for her. He waited until she had quieted before gently pushing her away from his chest to look at her. Through her tears, he could see a slight smile. He was confused for a moment and about to ask what was going on, but then he understood, his eyes widening in sudden awareness. "Dana, was that who I think it was?"

She nodded her head vigorously, too short of breath to answer him. He shook his head and her smile faded. "Hon, listen to me, you can't get worked up over this. We've been through this before," he said soothingly-the same voice he used on his patients, she noted.

She managed to find her voice. "But Jordan, it's-"

He held up a hand. "I know who it is, but we can't go down that road again. That's something we've decided to put behind us, and look how happy we've been." He referred to the house with a wave of his hand. "You don't want to jeopardize all of this, all of our happiness, now, do you?"

"Of course not," she said defiantly, placing her hands on her hips. "I would never do such a thing. But it's him. For the longest time, Jordan..." She released a tired sigh and for a moment, neither one spoke. Jordan watched his wife quietly, patiently waiting for her to regain her composure. She finally met his eyes, and he stepped back when he saw a determined gleam in them. "I have to find him. I have to see him."

He held up both hands. "Whoa, Dana, that is definitely not a good idea."

The gleam in her eyes suddenly turned stern. "What?"

He ignored the warning signals. "It's not right. Furthermore, no one knows where he or the others have gone. Chances are, you're not going to find anything." She said nothing, only glared fiercely, then looked away.

"I don't care. I have to try. I have to see him again-just once." She shivered and hugged herself. "Just to know he's all right...."

He released a breath slowly. "You've chosen to forget it, remember? We both have."

"I know that," she said a bit more forceful than she meant to. She removed all edge in her tone, and managed a smile. "Jordan, you know I love you more than my own life, but this is my decision. I'm going to find him."

Jordan finally lowered his head in defeat. He knew when she got like this, there was no reasoning with her. "Fine, love. I just hope you know what you're doing."

She approached him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Don't I always?"

He ran an affectionate hand through her white-streaked black hair and chuckled. "Of course, my love. Of course."

 

 

 

The day went on normally after that. Jordan went to work, while Dana got ready and went to her job as well. However, all of it went unnoticed by the gray duck. Throughout the day, she hardly spoke to anyone, remained to herself, and had the children in her class work on art projects. She was too preoccupied with what she had seen on the news to do much of anything else. I can't believe it...

"Mrs. Maldrake?" Dana blinked a few times from behind her desk and focused on the small raptrin directly in her line of vision, just now noticing her.

She humored the child with a smile. "Yes, Kaylan, what is it?"

The young girl handed her a piece of paper. "Ms. Lighthawk wants to see ya."

Dana glanced the note over, and got out of her chair. "Very good. Thank you, Kaylan."

After announcing to the class that she would be back momentarily, Dana proceeded to the headmistress's office. She hadn't even knocked on the door when she heard, "Come in, Dana."

Dana tentatively pushed the door open. "You wanted to see me, Mistress?"

"Yes," Eva Lighthawk said, placing a file down on her desk. The younger female looked old for her age. Her dark hair was pulled back in a tight bun, and being held in place by two hair sticks. Her unusually light feathers sharply accented her dark hair and gray eyes, giving her an air of intimidation. Truth was, the woman was as nice as could be; she just knew how to use her 'special gifts' wisely. The raptrin smiled at her and gestured to a chair in front of her desk. "Please."

Dana complied. Ms. Lighthawk folded her hands on her desk, her face etched with worry. "I've noticed you haven't been acting yourself today, Dana. Everything all right?"

Dana crossed her legs and smiled coolly. "Why yes, Eva. Everything's fine."

"Are you sure?" Eva sounded worried. "You're usually not so distant. Something wrong with Jordan?"

"Not at all," Dana said, holding up a hand; and suddenly she wanted badly to get out of there. She and Eva were friends, but when it came to discussing her problems, it made Dana a little uncomfortable. The only person she could actually talk to about her problems was her husband. "It's just that..."

Eva looked at her with concern, and Dana wanted to put that concern to rest, but suddenly got an idea. She smiled inwardly. "Actually, there is something, Ms. Lighthawk," she said, her tone becoming thick with sadness.

Eva leaned forward. "What is it, dear?"

Dana turned her head so not to give her ploy away by her features. "Something's come up, just this morning, in the family. I'm afraid I'm going to need some time off until I can get it all worked out." Dana glanced at the younger woman. Ha, she's buying it. She didn't like to lie to her friend, but lying always came easily to her, and it usually worked out to her advantage. I'm hoping it does now, too...

Eva leaned back in her chair. "Really? Is there anything I can help you with? Is Jordan-"

"Jordan's fine, Mistress," Dana reassured. "And I'm afraid there's nothing you can do for me. It's just a family matter, and we don't like to talk about it."

"I see," Eva Lighthawk said. "Well, Dana, if you need time off, by all means, it's yours. Finding a substitute won't be too difficult, though I wish you could shed some more light on your dilemma."

Dana shook her head. "I'm sorry, Eva, but I'm afraid I can't do that."

Eva sighed. "Why do I not find that the least bit surprising?" She regarded Dana with a kind smile. "You have any idea how long you'll be away?"

She shook her head again.

"That's not surprising either. Lucky for you, you've earned a vacation. For as long as I've been here, never once have you asked for a day off. Can't blame you for suddenly wanting some time to yourself." Eva stood up and Dana got up with her. She escorted Dana to the door and placed a comforting hand on her back. "Still, I wish I knew why you choose to remain so secretive."

Dana stepped out of the office. "It's second nature."

 

 

 

Within a day's time, Dana had arrived in DuCaine City. Jordan had wanted to come with her, but she turned him down. She had told him it would be best if he stayed at home and went about life normally, acting like she was still there. She didn't want to tell him that if he got involved, his life could be at risk.

It took some serious persuasion, but eventually, timidly, he had agreed. His only demand was that the minute anything went wrong, she promise to call him. She had smiled gratefully and kissed him goodbye.

She was currently in a cheap motel, located in Drakesworth, one of the less desirable parts of the city. She had taken very little with her on her trip, packing only a light suitcase. Dana had a map of the city out on top of a table, and she was highlighting what she thought would be the best places to get information.

If she had any hope of finding who she was looking for, Dana was going to have to find the Brotherhood of the Blade. It was known Duke l'Orange was heavily involved with the organization, and though he was currently not there, she knew it was her best shot at locating him. However, locating a Brotherhood member and actually getting them to talk were two very different things. Brotherhood members were exceedingly loyal, she knew, and if any of them were to betray their peers by relaying information, they could be in serious trouble. If she hoped to get any information, she was going to have to be careful.

"Let's see," she said to herself as she looked over the map one final time. "The Black Rose and the Cloak and Dagger are both famous for Brotherhood members, but I don't think I want to start out there." She didn't much care for the deafening noises and stench of beer mixed with cigarettes in bars, and she knew the Black Rose would be no better. The Cloak and Dagger, on the other hand, was a nightclub, its entertainment a bit more cultivated, but it didn't strike her as the kind of place that would interest Duke. In either case, there would be plenty of thugs she would have to worry about, and she wasn't used to having to cover her back. "No, definitely not good places to start. I'll save them as a last resort."

She eyed some other locations carefully. "Hmm, museums are always popular sources of entertainment, especially for thieves." She tapped her finger on one of the highlighted areas on the map. Getting into the museum would be child's play, even for her. The Snowdrake Museum was known for housing some of the most spectacular precious stones from all around the world, and many thieves who appreciated gems decided to add some of the works to their own special collection. She lightly punched the table and grinned. And Alex always did like jewels. "Looks like that's where I start."

She went over to her bag and pulled out a dark colored jumpsuit. She pressed it against her small form and looked at herself in the mirror. For a moment, she got flashes of a past she had thought she had learned to forget, but seeing the jumpsuit again...No, she shook her head. That was a different life. She sighed. So why am I here? Maybe Jordan was right...

She shook her head again. She was here now, and there was no turning back. Dana had to find what she was looking for; her heart wouldn't allow her to rest until she did. She put the jumpsuit at arm's length and removed a piece of lint from one of the sleeves. Hope this thing still fits....

 

 

 

For three nights, Dana broke into the Snowdrake undetected and patiently waited for any sign of a robbery. She remained out of sight when a security guard would walk by, and skillfully avoided being seen by the cameras. She was able to hack into a government file using a computer and got hold of a document, displaying where each security camera was and how many guards were there each night. She was rather impressed with herself when she got hold of that file. Just like riding a bike...

However, by the third night, Dana's optimism was quickly deteriorating. It had been three nights, and still no sign of a robbery. Don't tell me everyone's finally decided to go straight.

Just when she was about to give up her search, she saw a dark figure stealthily enter a window, carefully look around for any signs of the guards, then dart down the hallway. She smiled to herself. Third night's a charm.

By the way he moved, she could tell he was young. His boots made no sound on the floor, and his dark feathers and clothing kept him out of sight. To the untrained eye, one would think it was a moving shadow, but Dana's eye was far from untrained.

She silently followed him, keeping her distance. She didn't want to startle him, not yet. Let's see just how good these Brotherhood boys are...

He turned a corner, and entered the part of the museum labeled "Gems from Around the World"-apparently a new exhibit. Good choice, she thought with a smile. He cautiously approached a display in the corner of the room. A glass panel was protecting it. Any disturbance against that glass, and an alarm would sound, Dana knew. And if an alarm sounds, there isn't any nearby exit, she thought urgently, then looked back at the young drake. Gods, I hope he knows what he's doing.

Ever so carefully, the young drake lifted his black-gloved hands and began reconfiguring the alarm system. Dana watched silently from the shadows of the room, and for a few tense moments, she didn't even breathe. Then, with a click of a lever, the glass panel slid down, exposing the gem. The youth grinned smugly. Can't blame him.

As he reached for the jewel, Dana carefully emerged from the shadows. She still remained out of his line of vision, and approached him silently. As she drew nearer, she saw he had dark gray feathers, much like her own. He was dressed entirely in black, and had a saber clipped to his belt. Better watch that. He might reach for it if I scare him...

Dana smiled as the drake cradled the precious stone in his hands, and his body turned to face her, but he still hadn't noticed her. From the small amount of light the casing held, she could see a white streak in his bang, and her heart leapt into her throat. She yearned to call out to him, and had to bite her tongue to keep from saying, "Alex." No, she told herself. He isn't Alex anymore... he's Duke... his hair's longer now, and he seems taller... Gods, he may not even recognize me...

His motions brought his line of vision toward her. She stopped abruptly, and the sudden movement caught his attention.

Instantly he stiffened, stuffing the gem into one of his pockets. "Who's there?"

She froze. Then he shifted, and the light glinting off the open case illuminated his features a little. Their gazes met, and she could see his eyes were black as anything.

He had activated his saber and taken a defensive posture, but she didn't seem to notice the threat he posed upon her. "Stay back," the young drake demanded. "Who are you?"

She took a shaky step forward. "Oh, Gods..."

The drake's muscles tensed. "I'm warning you, lady. Not a step closer."

She stopped, her face fallen. That doesn't sound like him... "Duke? Duke, it's me."

The drake stared at her for a moment, his dark eyes quizzical, and then began to laugh.

"Listen, lady, I don't know who you are or how you got here," he said, "but you got the wrong l'Orange. I sure as hell ain't my father."

Dana nearly lost her balance. "You-your father? Duke l'Orange is your father?!"

"Yeah, so what?" But she seemed really upset by his remark, and at last he lowered his weapon, crossing his arms. "What's it to you?"

She didn't say anything for a time. She looked away from the gray drake, trying to sort out her thoughts. A son? Duke-Alex-has a son?

"Lady?" An irritated voice cut into her thoughts. "Just what is your problem and who the hell are you? You a cop? You here to take me in for the big one?"

"No. My name's Alexia Featherstorm," she said, straightening her posture; and when the boy didn't say anything, she took a deep breath. "I'm your father's twin sister."

"What!" The drake's eyebrows shot up, but this time he tried to stifle his laughter. "Now I know you got the wrong drake, lady. My father ain't got a sister."

He turned, and she cried out. "Please! Please wait! If you'd just listen to me-"

And the young drake turned back to her, but only briefly, his expression clearly skeptical. Oh, great, Dana thought, he thinks I'm crazy-

"Look, babe," the drake said. "I don't care who you are, or who you think you are. My old man's got no sister. I don't know what you're up to, but if you know what's good for you you'll get the hell away from here-and away from me."

And before she could reply, he threw something at her feet, something that released a dense oily smoke; and by the time her vision cleared, he had gone.

 

 

 

 

Dana went back to her cold lonely room, tired, disappointed, and miserable. She slumped against the bed and let her tools slip from her hand. She hadn't stopped crying since she'd left the Snowdrake Museum. A son, Alex? My God, I had no idea...

There was so much she had wanted to say to him, but apparently he didn't want any part of it. And why would he? Some duck he's never seen before just pops out of nowhere and claims to be his father's long lost sister? Why the hell should he have believed me?
And I don't even know his name....

She was angry now, and started pacing the room like a caged animal. Gods, what was I thinking when I came here? I knew I wasn't going to find him, so why did I bother in the first place?

Dana caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, and of the maroon jumpsuit. She instantly ripped it off. This thing is a curse! It's brought me nothing but pain and misery. Once the jumpsuit was off, she threw its tattered remains onto the bed and quickly covered herself with a bathrobe. She accidentally kicked her lock picking tools, and picked them up and, with a frustrated yell, threw them into the mirror. The tools shattered the mirror, and tools and glass lay across the floor. She took a deep breath. Okay, Dana, Lexi's getting the best of you. Just calm down...

Her mind whirled, she couldn't think straight. She had so many thoughts, so many questions that would go unanswered. I have more questions now then when I first began this quest for him. Gods, I need to talk to someone... The one person who could comfort her was in another city.

They both were.

She picked up the receiver. I have to talk to him, or I just might lose my mind again...

Within a matter of moments, Dana was connected to Sikarta. "Hello?" a welcoming voice said in her ear. Tears sprang to her eyes, and she couldn't find her voice.

"Hello, is anyone there?"

She choked out a sob. "Jordan..."

The voice instantly grew concerned. "Dana? Dana, sweetheart, is that you? Are you all right?"

With a few relaxing breaths, she calmed herself down. "Yes, Jordan, I'm fine." It made her feel ten times better just to hear his soothing voice.

He still wasn't convinced. "Do you need me to come get you?"

She managed a slight laugh. "No, hon, I'm okay. I'll be home in a few days. I just need...a few answers."

There was a silence on the other end for a moment; and then he asked softly, "Did you find anything?"

She felt the tears well up in her eyes again, but she quickly wiped them away. "I found more than I bargained for."

"Really? Like what?"

It was her turn to remain silent. "Jordan...I-we-" She could no longer fight her tears. "We have a nephew. Duke l'Orange has a son."

 

 

 

 

 

Lauran l'Orange had shared his apartment-and his bed-with Cassandra Swordfeather for nearly two years now, and still she sat up and waited for him when he was out on a heist. She was sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee, wearing his bathrobe over her silk pajamas, her hair up in an elaborate braid; and all she said was, "You're a little late, aren't you?"

Lauran pulled her close for a quick kiss, and then sat down across from her and began to take off his boots. "This has been one hell of a weird night, Cass."

He told her about the strange encounter he'd had in the Snowdrake Museum, and when he'd finished Cassandra said, "You're absolutely sure she wasn't a cop?"

"Yeah." Lauran ran a hand through his hair. "Didn't seem none too stable-maybe one of Dad's old girlfriends or something, hitting the bottle a little too hard."

Cassandra wasn't so sure. "Lauran, we can't afford to be careless-"

"I'm not being careless, Cass."

She frowned, her deep blue eyes troubled. "But you said she sneaked up on you."

"Yeah." No sense in denying it now. "Came out of nowhere-it was the damnedest thing. We got any beer in the fridge?"

"Lauran, this is no time-oh, never mind." Cassandra got wearily to her feet and opened the refrigerator. "One can."

"Put it in a glass for me, baby."

Cassandra looked askance at him, then shrugged, popped the top, and poured. As she came back to the table with the glass she said, "What was her name again?"

"Featherstorm." He took a long swallow of beer and rubbed his eyes. "Alexia Featherstorm. At least that's what I think she said."

"Featherstorm...that name's familiar." Cassandra watched Lauran finish his beer and then she told him, "You ought to talk to my father. He could tell you if it meant anything."

"Cass, do you think this is really something to drag the Brotherhood into? I told you, the old girl was just a little unwired." Lauran drained his glass. "Besides, she didn't recognize me-she thought I was Duke."

"Even so...promise you'll talk to Daddy about it, Lauran. At least for me."

Lauran sighed. "All right. I promise." He couldn't resist her when she pouted. "Now let's go to bed."

 

 

 

 

 

Jezrael Swordfeather said the same thing that his daughter had. "Featherstorm, eh? I know that name." He stole a look at the filing cabinets that took up one corner of his office. "Tell you what, Lauran. Give me a few days to check around and see what I can find, all right? Then come back to me and maybe I'll be able to tell you something."

Lauran only said, "Yes, sir," and went on his way; and the next person to walk into Jezrael's office was his wife, Anya.

She took one look at him and said, "You and Lauran have had a disagreement."

"No, love, no, it's nothing like that." The brown-feathered drake shook his head and began to toy with his mustache. "It's nothing that simple," he sighed. "Pray for that boy, Anya. I've got to do something I don't want to do."

Anya Swordfeather frowned slightly, but only reached out to affectionately stroke her husband's graying black hair. "What are you talking about?"

"I've got to tell him the truth about his father."

 

 

 

 

 

The night after that, Dana saw him again. After talking to Jordan she'd felt particularly down, and so she'd decided at last to walk down to the Black Rose, only two blocks from her hotel.

I could use a drink, she told herself, and besides, I might get some information.

But the big pale-feathered drake at the door wouldn't let her in. "You got the mark, lady?"

"The-the mark?" she stammered, not understanding.

"Yeah." He rolled up his own shirtsleeve to reveal a tattoo of a black rose, high on his right shoulder. "You want in, you gotta have the mark." He leered at her. "Course, a pretty thing like you, I might be able to let you in...for a price."

Dana hesitated. What was he going to ask of her? What was this 'price'?

But she steeled herself. I'm looking for my brother. And my brother has a son. And I want some answers, and hoarsely she asked, "How much?"

"For you...." He studied her figure intently. "Fifty creds ought to do it."

Dana sighed in relief; she'd been sure that wasn't the sort of payment he'd had in mind.

"Fine," she said, and passed him two twenties and a ten from her handbag, and in response he held the door open for her.

The Black Rose was much emptier than she'd expected, and its staring handful of black leather-clad patrons only made her too conscious of her neat navy pantsuit. Nervously Dana checked her watch. Maybe it's near closing time, she thought, but she had a feeling that the place was just getting started for the night.

She made her way to the bar and sat down, alone; everyone else seemed to be at a table. The bartender was hidden behind a newspaper, and at last she said, "Excuse me."

There was a rustling motion as a page of the newspaper was turned, though no glimpse of the person behind it; but a male voice said, "What can I do ya for?"

She sat up with a start, dumbstruck. It's him!

The newspaper rustled as he realized she hadn't answered. "Come on, little lady, what's your pleasure? Whiskey and soda? Gin and tonic? Sex on the Beach? Quickie on the bar?"

Then he lowered the newspaper, grinning-but as their eyes met his grin faded quickly. "Shit. Oh, shit-it's you."

"Look," Dana began, "look, I'm sorry about last night, I just-"

"Scared the hell out of me?" he said harshly, frowning. "Look yourself, lady, the last thing I need is some whacked-out old dame hanging around claiming to be my old man's sister. He didn't have one-and you've got no business being here. So get gone, all right? Leave me the hell alone."

"Please." Dana wanted badly to burst into tears, but she forced herself to fight the urge.

"If you'll let me explain-I just want to talk to you."

The young drake regarded her coldly, his features twisted with anger. "Lady-"

She frowned. "My name is Alexia. You can call me Lexi if you want. But not 'lady.'"

"Fine. Whatever. Lexi." He relaxed a little, folded his newspaper and laid it on the bar, but he was still scowling. "You drinking? 'Cause if you're not...."

"I'll have a beer," she said quickly, and reached into her handbag.

"On the house," was his curt answer as he set a tall foaming glass in front of her. "All right. You want to talk-you talk."

There was a moment of silence as Dana tried to come up with something; then, quietly, she said, "What's your name? I don't know your name."

He seemed to relax a little more. "It's Lauran."

Lauran. My nephew. She savored it. "Lauran what?"

"L'Orange, of course. Thought you figured that out already." His laugh was hoarse and humorless. "And before you ask-not that it matters, but if it'll make you happy-my middle name's Duke."

She hid a smile behind her glass and took a gulp of the amber liquid, pulling a face when the bitter aftertaste stung her throat. She pushed the glass away.

"So?" She met his steady gaze-Alex's gaze. "You gonna talk?"

She sighed. And his lack of patience. "How old are you?"

He crossed his arms. "What's with all the questions?"

Dana folded her hands on top of the bar, and leaned forward. "You want me to talk, so I'm talking."

They exchanged hard glares, but soon he relented. "Twenty-one-in a few weeks."

"Got a girlfriend?"

He chuckled and stood away from the bar. "Getting a little personal, aren't we, Lexi?"

She ran a gray hand through her hair. "Do you always answer a question with a question?"

He made a disgusted noise, and turned away. "This is getting us nowhere-"

"Now, now," she said getting up from her stool to place a hand on his arm. She could tell instantly he didn't appreciate that, and withdrew quickly. "No need to be in such a hurry." She smiled pleasantly.

"Give me one good reason," he answered harshly.

"Let's make a deal, hmm?" Great, now I gotta talk to my twenty-year-old nephew like he's one of my students back home. "You tell me what I want to know, and I'll tell you what you want to know. Okay?"

She could see him thinking about it. Then, after about a minute, he looked up. "Deal." He resorted to crossing his arms over his chest. "Her name's Cassandra. Cassandra Swordfeather."

"Swordfeather?" She nearly yelled the name, but quickly lowered her voice. "Is that the same Swordfeather I hear about all over the news? The one with-"

"All the money," he finished for her. "But there's more to her than just money. Besides, Daddy's the one with the cheddar, not her. So if you think I'm with her just because of that..." He became defensive, and his eyes suddenly darkened. Sounds like he's had to explain that on more than one occasion.

Dana held up her hands. "You don't have to go on, Lauran, I believe you." There was silence for a moment, and Dana ran her fingers down her glass. Without looking up, she asked quietly, "What about your mother?"

She heard a sigh. "Her name was Shakura." He said the name a bit too painfully.

"Shakura Starwing."

Dana swallowed. "Was?"

Lauran lowered his eyes. "She's dead. Died during the Invasion."

She wanted to reach a hand out to comfort him, but decided against it. "Oh, Lauran, I'm sorry-"

"Look, I don't want your sympathy." The blackness of his gaze intensified. "I want answers. Now tell me, who the hell are you?"

She was put off by his sudden burst of anger. "But I've told you who I am."

He slammed his fist down onto the bar, and nearby patrons turned their heads. "You're lying! I want the truth." He leaned in close to her, so that his beak was inches away from hers. "That was the deal, remember?"

She could feel fear developing in the pit of her stomach. "Look, Lauran, there's a lot you don't know-"

"I know enough!" He was suddenly on the other side of the bar, facing her. "You're just some crazy dame from the decent part of town lookin' for a good time, and you thought you'd find it by pretending to be someone you're not." He pointed a finger in her direction. "I think it's time you came clean, lady."

She thought it was going so well. She thought she was finally getting him to open up to her, that they could connect and learn more about what they had in common. Apparently, he didn't want any part of that. Her fear transformed into anger, but she managed to keep her voice even, to avoid any unwanted attention. "Why are you ignoring something that's staring you right in the face, Lauran? Can't you see it? Look!" She pinched some of her own feathers in between her fingers, and reached out and grabbed some of his feathers.

"Ow! Bitch-"

She ignored his protest. "We have the same feather color, the same eye color, we share the same white streak in our hair, for God's own sake, Lauran! How many ducks do you know that have these same features?" She was upset, and her voice, though low, shook uncontrollably.

He remained silent. Dana took a deep relaxing breath to steady herself. "There's more here than just some crazy dame looking for a good time, and you know it, don't you?" He looked away, but she placed a gentle hand on his cheek and turned his head to look at her, and this time he didn't fight her. "I'm sorry, Lauran. I came here looking for answers, and now you're searching for your own." She stepped away from him. "And I'm afraid I can't provide you with them."

She grabbed her coat and dug into one of the pockets, then handed him a tiny square of paper. "I'll be in town for a few more days. Here's where I'm staying. If you want to talk some more, I'll be there. If not, I'll be gone soon enough, and you can forget you ever ran into me back at the Snowdrake." She brushed past him and he made no move to stop her. She regretfully went towards the exit. This is probably the last time I'll ever see him.

Before leaving, she turned back around. "Lauran," she called. He turned, but he didn't look at her, and she took a deep breath. "There was something your father and I had in common, and only he and I shared it. It was something we grew up hearing." She fell silent as tears stung her eyes. Luckily the darkness of the club kept him from seeing them fall down her face. "Always remember to smile. It was...a phrase that was just between us, no one else." Not anymore.

She wiped at her eyes and permitted herself a small laugh, and managed to smile at him. "Thanks for the beer."

Lauran watched her walk away, then took her half-empty glass and drained it in one swallow. She's lying, he told himself. She's lying....

...isn't she?

 

 

 

 

He echoed his thoughts a few hours later to Jezrael Swordfeather, but the older drake didn't seem to be paying attention to him. He was standing behind the desk in his office at the Haven, staring at some pictures on the wall, his hands clasped behind his back.

"You're not quite right, Lauran," he said at last. "She's not pretending to be something she's not. She pretending to be something she was."

Lauran was utterly baffled. "Sir? I don't understand."

"Oh, I've done some digging around." Jezrael dropped heavily into his chair and began leafing through a file folder on top of the desk. "You've heard of the Assassin's Ring?"

The younger man laughed sourly. "Who hasn't?"

"It was run by a Featherstorm," Jezrael said, almost absently. "Talon Featherstorm."

"Whoa, whoa, Jezrael, wait a minute." Lauran was half on his feet. "You're telling me this dame that keeps hanging around is one of Talon Featherstorm's goons?"

The older man waved him back into his chair with a chuckle. "Sit down, son. No. She's not one of his 'goons'-she's his daughter."

Lauran raised his eyebrows but said nothing; and Jezrael continued. "I've learned a few things about her-she left the Ring a little while before it disbanded, and changed her name to Dana Whiteblade...rather apt, I think, but I suppose she thought she was putting her past behind her." He was reading from the file. "She's been married for the past few years to one Jordan Maldrake. They live in Sikarta. No children."

Lauran fidgeted. "Look, Jezrael, this is all fascinating, but I don't see-"

"Talon Featherstorm had two children, Lauran. A daughter and a son. Twins." The brown-feathered drake dug something out of the file folder; to Lauran it looked like a photograph. "This-"

A sudden look of pain creased the older man's features and Lauran got to his feet, alarmed. "Jezrael?"

"Oh, I'm all right," was the answer. "I just-Lauran, I don't know how to tell you this, but I've known for years that-" He sighed and shook his head. "Maybe it would be better if I showed you." He flipped the photograph across the desk. "Recognize her?"

Lauran picked it up and studied the face. She was younger here, obviously, and there was only the one white streak in her hair, but it was undoubtedly the face of the woman who called herself Alexia Featherstorm.

"Yeah," he said. "This is her."

Jezrael nodded and took out another photograph.

"I'm sorry," he murmured. "I suppose we should have told you, but you weren't supposed to know at all-Duke loved you, he wanted to protect you...."

Lauran only stared, not comprehending at all, and Jezrael cleared his throat, silently cursing himself.

"This is Alexander Featherstorm," he said at last. "Alexia's brother. Talon's son."

He passed the photo over with trembling fingers, and Lauran took it. The young drake looked once cursorily, and then again, and suddenly all the color drained out of his face.

"Jezrael." He'd gone very quiet. "Jezrael, this is my father."

 

 

 

 

Lauran stared at the floor, and his unfallen tears were so thick that it was like looking through a wall of ground glass. Dimly he heard Jezrael say, "I'm sorry, Lauran."

"You knew." His own voice sounded thick and strange. "You knew."

Jezrael sighed. Gods, of all the things to say to this boy, and it had to be this.... "Yes."

"I...." At last Lauran wiped at his eyes and looked up. "How did you find out? Dad never was the type to volunteer."

"When your father and I first joined the Brotherhood, we shared quarters." Jezrael got to his feet again, as if standing made the telling easier. "It didn't take me long to figure out that something was bothering him. He'd sleepwalk, and he had nightmares, and he'd wake up screaming...."

The older man shook his head. "One night it was particularly bad, and I'd finally managed to fall asleep-and the next thing I knew I was awake, and Duke was standing over me with his blade drawn, ready to strike."

"He tried to kill you?" Lauran yelped.

"No." Jezrael laughed sourly. "Not me. He was sleepwalking, and he thought I was Talon." He sighed. "Duke always hated his father, hated him for what Talon had made him become-I can't say that I blame him. Anyway, I got out of his way and pinned him down, and managed to wake him up. He didn't have the slightest idea of what he'd almost done; I had to tell him. That was when I decided that he needed to tell me a few things."

"So it is true." Lauran said it slowly. "Lexi wasn't the one lying. It was my father-"

"Duke didn't lie to you," Jezrael said. "Neither have I. Withholding the truth-there's a difference-"

"It means the same thing, doesn't it?" Lauran cried. "My father-Dad was always my hero. I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do more than to be like him. And I've tried-I've tried for twenty years-and now you tell me that was all a lie! When I was growing up I heard all kinds of stories about Talon Featherstorm and what a bastard he was...and now you tell me that bastard's my grandfather!" He put his face in his hands. "I don't know who I am anymore, Jezrael."

Jezrael came to Lauran's side and knelt, laying a comforting hand on the young man's shoulder. "You are Duke l'Orange's son."

"Yeah, right." Lauran sniffled. "Duke l'Orange doesn't exist anymore."

"I prefer to think," Jezrael said quietly, "that it's Alexander Featherstorm who doesn't exist anymore."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Jezrael stood up and leaned against the edge of his desk. "A man with a dangerous past has got two choices, Lauran. He can live in it, or he can break free of it. Your father chose to do the latter, even though he was haunted by what he'd been. That's why he changed his name-and it was perfectly legal, so yes, you are Duke l'Orange's son-and it's a great part of why he never told you this himself."

He blinked a few times, rapidly. "Duke loved you. He would never have hurt you willingly-after he and his sister parted ways, you were all he had. But he wanted you to grow up-unfettered. He wanted you to have peace of mind, because he never would."

The younger drake looked up at last. "You say this is a large part of why he never told me. What's the other part?"

"He never told anyone, except me. Marcus suspected a connection with the Ring, but he never had it confirmed." Jezrael scratched his head. "Duke was scared to death that someone from the Ring would find him-or find you. That's why he kept it to himself, hard as it was for him."

Lauran nodded, tears leaking from the corners of his eyes. "But he was an assassin, he was everything we're taught to hate, and you...stood up for him."

"He would have done the same for me." Jezrael ran a hand through his hair. "I never knew Alexander Featherstorm, Lauran. I only know Duke l'Orange, and he's a damned good man-and you can be proud that he's your father."

It took Lauran a moment to realize what the other man had said. "Jezrael, do you
think-"

"That your father is still alive?" Jezrael finished. "Yes. I've never questioned it. God only knows where he is-but he's still alive. I can promise you that. Now." He smiled broadly, and Lauran's spirits lifted a little. "I believe the lady told you where she's staying...why don't you go round and fetch her? I'm sure she and I can find a lot to talk about."

 

 

 

 

 

A few nights later, Dana neatly placed her final article of clothing into her suitcase. "That does it," she said, satisfied. She went over to the table and put on a black jacket that had been slung over a chair. She flicked off the light as she slung the suitcase strap over her shoulder. Before going to the door, she stole one last glance around the room. So long, Drakesworth. Wish I could say it's been fun. She sighed and lowered her head. So long, Lauran. She picked up her room key and headed towards the door.

"Leaving already? You ain't seen any of the sights yet."

The voice caused her to gasp in shock and drop her bag. She whipped around to see a grinning gray drake sitting on top of the table she had just walked away from. She hadn't even felt a breeze when he had entered her room from the window. "L-Lauran!" she stammered, trying to compose herself. "Damn it, boy. You scared me."

Much to her relief, he chuckled, but quickly sobered. She couldn't read his features in the darkness of the room, but he seemed distraught. She flicked on the light. She had been right. "Something wrong?" she asked quietly.

He lowered his eyes to the floor and released a breath slowly. Without looking up, he mumbled, "I know."

She shifted her weight uncomfortably. "What do you know?"

"You were an assassin." She winced at the word, but he continued. "You're Talon Featherstorm's daughter."

It hurt to hear it, but that's the funny thing about the truth. It hurts.

"Yes," she said simply. "And?"

"And..." He kept his eyes lowered. Apparently the truth was hurting him just as much, if not more. "Duke...my father...is your twin brother. Alex."

There was no movement for a while, and no sound was made. So little had been said, yet it meant so much. He knows, Dana thought solemnly. She finally looked at him, but he had turned away. And this is tearing him apart...

"Lauran." She silently walked up to him and cupped his chin in her hand. He finally met her gaze, and his eyes were strained with pain and hurt. Her heart ached for him. "I'm sorry. I never meant for this to happen."

He didn't seem to hear her. He was lost in his misery, and she was sure he had been ever since they'd first met back at the Snowdrake. This is my fault. If there was only some way I could make amends... She lifted her eyebrows at an idea, and moved her hand from his chin to the back of his neck. She leaned forward to stare deeply into his black eyes. "You know, if you always remember to smile, I promise things will turn out better in the long run. You'll see." Yeah, some great comforter you are, Dana.

He looked at her quizzically for a moment, then blinked a few times, and she saw a ghost of a smile crease his features. "That is one stupid phrase ya got there, Lexi."

Dana managed to laugh in spite of herself. Much to her relief, she heard Lauran chuckle with her. She moved away from him and sat carefully on the bed. He turned to face her from his perch on the table. "So what now?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "Well, let's move onto a more...comfortable subject, shall we?"

He nodded in obvious relief. "Okay."

She smiled and crossed her legs. "Tell me more about yourself."

"Ahh, no," he said, hopping off the table, his comment taking her by surprise. He pulled out a chair and turned it backwards. "I told you plenty about myself a few days ago. Now, it's time you told me more about yourself...Dana." He promptly sat down on the chair and grinned.

She smiled weakly. She wasn't surprised he had learned her name. "All right. That's fair. What would you like to know?"

"Ah, quit stalling on me," Lauran said in a joking tone. "The beginning, of course. That's as good a place as any to start."

"I thought I said a more comfortable subject," she said, her smile fading. "That's not very comfortable."

"Okay," he sighed. Man, she's harder to get information out of than most of the people in the Brotherhood! Talk about blood from a stone.... "How about this? Can you tell me what you do for a living?"

"I teach." Remembering the eager faces of her students made her smile. "Third grade, in one of the nicer parts of Sikarta."

"Really." He seemed doubtful.

"You don't believe me?"

He sat up. "Oh, no. It's not that. It's just not what I pictured you doing. I figured you'd done like Dad and gone back under-Sikarta's Triad territory, after all. Teaching just seems a little...mundane for someone with your...talents." He gave the last word an odd emphasis.

She sighed and her smile faded. "That was the idea." He looked puzzled. Best I tell him, he deserves an explanation. "See, Lauran, your father and I apparently had the same idea when we escaped the Ring. We both changed our names and tried to hide who we truly were." He fidgeted, but she continued. "I went into hiding, changed my name to Dana Whiteblade. However, the Ring left me with some...psychological problems." She looked away suddenly. "We didn't like to kill, but we were forced to do it, and it left me with some emotional scars." Gods, I really don't want to say this.

She felt his finger lightly brush against her hand. "How did you get past it all?"

"My husband. He's a therapist, and when I had gotten away from Talon and the Ring, I had nowhere to go. Your dad and I weren't taught how to live normally; we had no concept of how society functioned. I fled Snowplume-where the Ring was located-and ended up in Sikarta.

"It didn't take long for me to get picked up off the streets. Some tests were done, and I was dropped off in a...." She hesitated. "A mental institution."

"Ouch."

She continued. "None of the doctors could help me. I wouldn't tell them who I really was, since there were no records of a Dana Whiteblade. I lashed out at the male doctors, because I had this fear of men. She laughed bitterly. "I thank Talon for that."

"The doctors feared me, and they all thought there was no way to help me. All"-she smiled widely-"except Jordan Maldrake." She twisted a length of black hair around her finger. "He was the only one who could reach me, the only one who wouldn't give up on me. It took an exceedingly long time, but eventually I did learn to trust him.

"During the years it took to treat me, we fell in love. He's the only one that ever learned about what I had been, and who my family was, but we chose to forget it. We married, bought a house in one of the suburbs of Sikarta, and chose to go about life, without the Featherstorm name looming over us."

She smiled pleasantly at Lauran, who had been listening intently. "Where are you two now?"

"Still in our home in Sikarta. He has his own office now, and is doing very well. I went to school to get an elementary teaching degree, and now I teach third grade at a nearby school, and I've been doing so ever since."

He remained quiet a moment, eyeing her carefully, and his gaze made her a little uneasy. "So when you chose to forget your past, you chose to forget your brother." He said it rather harshly, but the edge quickly left his voice when he saw her cringe. "Why come looking for him now?"

She raised her arms. "I didn't want to leave him, Lauran, please believe me. We had wanted to escape together, but it was too difficult. When the opportunity arose for me to get away, I took it, and I told myself I would never look back. But when I found out my brother was still alive...." She closed her eyes and placed her hands onto the bed. "I had to see him again, Lauran. I had to know that he was okay, that he was happy. I wanted to make sure he had learned to move on, even if it was without me. I had gotten a family, and I wanted to know...." She looked at him, her gaze steady. "If he had gotten one too."

His eyes softened suddenly. "God, Dana," he said quietly. "So-you're not lying to me."

She bit her lower beak and shook her head. Lauran blew out a breath and stood up, swinging the chair back into place. "I need a drink." He began making his way towards the window.

She hurriedly got to her feet. "What, that's it? You're just going to leave?"

"Why not?" he retorted, one leg already hanging out the window. "That's what you're planning on doing." He pointed towards her suitcase.

She looked at it briefly then turned back to him. "You can come with me, you know. I've already told Jordan about you, and I think-"

"Whoa," he said, stepping back into the room, "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?" She echoed his previous question. "You are family, after all."

"No," he said bluntly, and she knew she wasn't going to win that argument; but his tone turned apologetic. "It's too soon."

She touched his arm briefly. "I understand. This is new to me, too." She placed a hand on his shoulder as he turned to leave. "But I still want to learn more about you, Lauran. I don't have to leave, not right away. If you want to go somewhere more comfortable and talk...."

He stared out the window for a moment. He had learned so much in such a short amount of time, from Jezrael and Dana, about his father and his family. It's too damned overwhelming, and man, do I need that drink. But, the woman standing next to him wanted to learn more about him, and in all honesty, he wanted to learn more about her. Maybe she can tell me more about my old man...if she's willing.

He finally looked at her and smiled slightly. "Okay, we can do that. There's somewhere I'd like you to see, anyway, and someone you need to meet-he can tell you a lot about Dad." He stepped through the window and offered her his hand. "That is, of course, if you can keep up."

She smiled brightly and took his hand. "Don't make me laugh, kid."

 

 

 

 

 

He'd stopped at last, and now she was trying to catch her breath. Guess I'm not as young as I used to be, after all.... "Where are we going?"

He grinned; he didn't appear to have even broken a sweat. "This is it."

Dana straightened up and looked around. They were in front of a massive ornate structure built of pale blue-gray brick. There wasn't much light around, but she could detect towers, spires, flying buttresses; a dim glow from within the building revealed the harlequin patterns of stained glass.

"Lauran," she said slowly, as her surroundings sank in, "Lauran, this is a church."

He was already halfway up the steps, but he turned and grinned down at her. "Is it?"

She started to protest-what was he doing?-but merely shook her head and followed.

 

 

 

 

 

She was sure that the outside of this edifice was beautiful in sunlight; but even in near-darkness, the interior was magnificent. Between the windows, the walls were hung with tapestries; the finely carved pews were cushioned in red velvet. Shiny prism-hung brass chandeliers cast and reflected light in a thousand tiny rainbows, revealing gilt moldings and a high vaulted ceiling. Dana half expected Lauran to tell her to hurry up, but he seemed to be content to let her look; he'd slowed to a leisurely stroll, his hands thrust in his pockets.

At the front of this giant room, several throne-like chairs surmounted a large dais. Flanking the dais were two large statues, one on each side; they weren't identical, but it was obvious that they honored the same drake. Squinting a little, she stooped to read the inscription on the base of the nearest one.

St. Silverwing of the Holy Blade.

She paused; that name was familiar. Then it came to her-Silverwing had been a contemporary of Drake DuCaine in the First Invasion, a hero of the Resistance.... What is this? Some kind of shrine?

The glint of metal caught her eye. She traced its source to the altar in front of the dais. A glass case was mounted there; and inside, on another velvet cushion, lay a gleaming sword.

She stared; and at last Lauran said softly, "Recognize it?"

"No." She shook her head. "Should I?"

"It's the Sword of War." A note of awe had crept into his voice. "Silverwing's sword."

"But that can't be," she protested, "it would be nearly a thousand years old-"

"It is," he answered softly. "Look-you can see the inscription." He pointed out a runic carving on the polished hilt. "'The sword is ever God.' "

Something in the way he said it made her blood go suddenly cold. "Lauran," she whispered, "what is this place? What is it really?"

He smiled. "Silverwing founded the Brotherhood of the Blade," he answered, "and the Sword of War is our leader's weapon. This is the Haven. This is our home."

Dana's head whirled. She was learning so much, there were so many questions...but before she could voice any of them, Lauran had taken her arm.

"Come on," he urged. "We shouldn't keep him waiting."

And before she could ask what he meant, he had led her through a side door, down a long hall, to another door; and he knocked, and a drake's voice answered, "Come in."

Dana held her breath as Lauran pushed the door open...

...and suddenly she was face to face with a tall, slim, brown-feathered drake. His long black hair was ponytailed and graying, as was his mustache, but still glossy; and he was dressed in an immaculate high-necked dark gray suit-it looked like a uniform. When he saw her he drew himself up, his full height and flawless posture giving him a regal, commanding air; but his dark blue eyes were kind and faintly amused-and with a start Dana recognized the man she'd seen countless times in the society pages of newspapers and magazines.

"Mrs. Maldrake, I presume?" he quietly inquired, his smile warm and broad as he extended a hand. "I'm Jezrael Swordfeather."

 

 

 

 

 

It took a moment for Dana to realize what she'd just heard, but she reached out shakily and took his offered hand. His grip was firm, his palm smooth and dry.

Dana felt suddenly clumsy. "You're...the Jezrael Swordfeather? I-it's a pleasure to meet you in person, sir, it certainly is."

His smile widened a trifle. "It's Jezrael, Mrs. Maldrake, if you please."

"Dana," she answered with a small smile, and he nodded approvingly.

Jezrael gestured for them to come in and be seated, then he quietly closed the door. Dana took a seat in front of the desk, folding her hands in her lap; but Lauran merely leaned against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest.

"I understand you're from Sikarta." Jezrael watched with amusement as Dana looked silently around his office, and his smile grew when she met his gaze and blushed. "Quite a memorable visit you've had to DuCaine City, I imagine."

"Yes. Yes, it has been." She had to stifle a sudden urge to giggle. "First I meet the nephew I never knew I had, then I'm brought to the Brotherhood's-Haven, I think you call it-and now I'm introduced to the richest man on Puckworld and he's a thief."

Jezrael chuckled but said nothing. Dana was about to ask him what he did in the Brotherhood, but Lauran's words came hurtling back to her: The Sword of War is our leader's weapon.... We shouldn't keep him waiting.

"You..." Comprehension dawned. "You run this place."

"Yes." Jezrael said it as casually as Dana herself might have said Nice weather we're having. "Yes, I...run this place." He seemed to find her choice of words amusing.

"I had no idea." She cast a glance over her shoulder at her nephew. "Lauran only told me I needed to meet someone-he didn't tell me who." Her curiosity was getting the better of her. "How does a man like you come to be here? I know it doesn't have anything to do with Duke, but I'd like to know."

"I wouldn't say that." The drake smiled again, thinly. "Actually my being here was your brother's idea-or, I should say, his fault. He was young when I met him, about eighteen. He was already in the Brotherhood, though very new at things, and one night he and a friend got a little drunk and decided to burglarize a house in Whitecliffs." His shoulders shook with suppressed laughter. "It happened to be mine, and I was home at the time."

Dana stared at him. "Oh dear. And you...."

"Cut him up a bit; and when he ran for it I followed him, and I ended up here. We captured the attention of the man who was leader at the time, and he took us in. The rest"-Jezrael studied his fingernails-"is history, you might say. Duke was rather popular, and with his skills he rose very quickly in the ranks. When the leader retired, Duke was chosen to succeed him. He wanted me-I was ranked a little higher because I was older-but I felt that Duke was better suited at the moment."

"Whoa." Dana shook her head. "You're telling me that Duke-Alex-my brother, was the leader of the Brotherhood?"

"Oh yes," Jezrael said, "for about two years, and quite good too."

"I-" Dana frowned. "Just two years? What happened?"

The older drake sighed and for a moment he looked down at his desk; then he met her gaze and answered steadily, "Toward the end of Duke's second year in office, one of the members of our Elders' Council died. He was murdered, and it was well known that he and Duke hadn't gotten along. Duke had nothing to do with it, of course, but he was afraid that someone might find out about his-past activities-so he resigned and lay low for a while, and-" He made a face. "That's how I'm here."

"God," Dana whispered. "I'd never have suspected that he'd get a position like that-but you knew? You knew about...?" She couldn't finish.

"The Ring? Yes. We were terrific friends, very much in one another's confidence." Jezrael sighed. "Interesting lives our sort lead, I'd say-and the less the public knows about them, the better."

"I agree whole-heartedly," Dana said, but she looked suddenly crestfallen.

Jezrael leaned forward. "Are you all right?"

She didn't raise her eyes. "You don't know where he is, do you?"

The brown-feathered drake released an exasperated sigh. "No. No one does. I lost track of him when he joined the Resistance."

Dana could feel tears welling up in her eyes. "I was afraid of that. I came here, hoping that maybe I'd find him...." She finally met his gaze. "You don't think he's-"

"Duke's alive, Dana." Jezrael said it before she could finish. "I'm sure of that."

She nodded, but took a moment before speaking again. "What's he like? Duke, I mean."

"He's a good man," Jezrael answered immediately. "The best, and I'm proud to know him. He's well respected here for his skill and his kindness. It hasn't been easy for him since he left the Ring, as I'm sure it hasn't been for you, but he's put it behind him." He paused a moment. "Though he never forgot about you."

"I never forgot about him, either." She wiped her eyes. "Did he have...problems trying to get past the Ring?"

"It took a while for him to fit in with the way things are done here. For a while everyone was careful not to get on his bad side, because he was quick to go for a kill-no, he never killed anyone while he was here, but I suppose his training...." Jezrael shook his head and stroked his mustache thoughtfully. "And he had nightmares. Horrible nightmares that plague him-to this day, as far as I know."

"I know." Dana nodded. "I had them too."

"Dana," Jezrael said softly, "you do realize that Duke never came looking for you because...well, he thought you were dead."

"Yes, I'd figured as much. We didn't part on good terms, so it was probably just easier for him to think of me that way. I tried to convince myself that he was dead, too, though it never worked." Dana took a deep breath. "What else can you tell me? When I saw that picture of him on the news, he had an eyepatch."

"Oh, there's a long story that accompanies that patch," Jezrael answered. "Let's just say that he and another Brotherhood member had, ah, a difference of opinion."

Dana knew she wouldn't get the story out of him. "Fair enough."

Jezrael cast a glance at Lauran. "Duke's a good father, too. He's raised Lauran to be a very capable young man"-he grinned-"and a damned good thief."

"I know." Dana turned in her chair to smile at her nephew. "I was there the other night at the Snowdrake-very well done."

"Yeah, well...." Lauran fidgeted, obviously not accustomed to such attention.

"Of course," Dana said with a smile, "I think you're more Duke's twin than I am, Lauran. When we met, I was sure that you were Alex-you look just like he did when I saw him last."

"That's what I want to know about, Dana." Lauran moved into the seat next to hers. "What was Dad like as Alex? And what was it like for you two-in the Ring?"

Dana winced at his question and turned away, and Jezrael cleared his throat. "Lauran, I'm not sure it's a good idea to question-"

"No, it's all right." Dana held up a hand. "He deserves to know-you both deserve to know, if you're sure you want to."

Lauran's dark eyes were wide. "Tell me. Please tell me. What was it like?"

"It was hell, Lauran," she answered bluntly. "It was as close to hell as you can imagine." Nervously she wrung her hands together-she'd wanted so badly to put this part of her life behind her forever. "Talon was an evil man. He was beyond compassion or mercy-all he wanted was to have his 'legacy,' as he put it, live on in the Ring.

"In the Ring, a new leader was chosen when the previous leader could no longer carry out missions or had become too elderly to keep up with the responsibilities. He would choose the best in the ranks as his successor, and if the others felt that the chosen one wasn't worthy, they could challenge."

She looked questioningly at Jezrael, and he nodded. "Here in the Brotherhood, our leaders prefer to retire before they get to be a burden," he said, "and challenge fights have fallen out of favor, though I've had my share of them."

"Was-was Duke ever challenged?" she offered tentatively.

"Yes. Once."

"Was that how he lost his eye?" Dana pressed. "I thought you said he never killed anyone."

"He didn't," Jezrael said, coughing delicately, "unlike myself...you see, the true purpose of our challenges is not to kill your opponent but simply to make him yield. Killing isn't the preferred way, but I've found that sometimes it's necessary-anyway, yes. That's how he lost his eye."

His blue eyes had gone cloudy. He's killed, too, Dana realized, and it bothers him.

"Anyway." She tugged a hand through her hair. "Talon didn't want just anyone to take leadership; he felt that Featherstorms were the only ones capable of leading. That's where your father and I entered the picture, Lauran." She closed her eyes suddenly. "You can't imagine what we went through-the training, the torment we had to endure. My God, it was so hard, so unfair, we were children...." She trailed off, completely unaware of the tears streaming down her face until Jezrael plucked a handkerchief from his pocket and pressed it into her hand.

She sniffled. "Talon was harder on Alex than he was on me, because Alex was going to be the next leader-he had to be the best. When we were born, Talon was furious that he had a daughter; all he wanted was a son, to continue his 'legacy.' I'm still surprised that he didn't kill me-I think it was the only kind thing he ever did for Angela, our mother, letting me live-because he sure as hell didn't want me.

"Our training began when we were very young-three, I think. Alex and I lived in fear of Talon, but we were together, we had each other. We weren't especially close, or we tried not to be. Don't get me wrong, we loved each other, but in that kind of business we didn't want to get close to anyone. Talon would say it was a weakness to love someone, and he would use the love we had for each other against us."

"How did you get away?" Lauran asked quietly.

Dana wiped half-heartedly at her eyes. "We were out on a mission, but it was a setup. Talon had learned that Alex and I were plotting to get away, and he wanted revenge. He sent his most loyal followers after us. Your father was injured, so I had to lead them away. They followed me, and I-I had no choice! I had to...." She squinted her eyes shut and wrapped her arms about herself, and softly continued, "I did what I had to do, and then I ran. I left everyone and everything behind, including my brother."

Unsure of what to do, Lauran laid a hand on her shoulder and squeezed comfortingly. Dana opened her eyes and looked into his concerned face. "I'm sorry," he said quietly.

She managed a smile, and covered his hand with her own. "Now do you see why Alex-Duke-never told you about the Ring? He kept it secret not only to protect himself, but to protect you, too."

Jezrael studied her intently. "What about Talon? The rumor has always been that he's dead-is it true?"

Dana straightened. "I've never believed he was, but he's never come looking for me. It makes sense, I suppose, since he never wanted me around in the first place. That's another reason I wanted to find Duke. I figured Talon would go looking for him, but since he joined the Brotherhood, it was probably the safest place to be. Talon was many things, but he wasn't stupid-even if he had figured out who Alex had become, I doubt that Talon would have braved the Blade to get to him."

Her eyes narrowed. "I know there was a big rivalry between the Ring and the Brotherhood. Are you sure no one else will know about-about Duke?"

"Dana." Jezrael's tone was paternal. "We're thieves, remember? We put a high price on our secrecy. When you join the Brotherhood, you make pacts, you swear vows-binding vows-that you'll never betray the Assembly-or each other."

But still she regarded him uncertainly. "What about the ones who do betray? What happens to them?"

"We kill them." He wasn't smiling now. "Rest assured, Dana, that as long as I'm leading the Brotherhood, Duke l'Orange's secrets are safe-and so are yours."

"I thank you." She nodded, musing. "L'Orange. I've been wondering where he came up with that...."

"Angelor," Jezrael said suddenly. "From your mother, he always said."

"What?' She raised her eyebrows. "Angelor-oh, yes. Yes, I see. L'Orange-Angelor. Rather creative." She smiled at Lauran, who only stared back uncomprehending, and placed a hand on his cheek. "Be proud you're a l'Orange, Lauran. It's a strong name."

His puzzlement turned to pride. "I am."

Dana nodded, still smiling, and got to her feet. As she was about to say she should be going, a picture on the wall behind Jezrael's desk caught her attention. "Is that you up there, Lauran?"

She gestured at a fairly new photograph that had Lauran in it, and he had his arms around the waist of a beautiful young duck with white feathers and long lustrous black hair. Both were smiling brightly; they looked extremely happy.

Lauran smiled rather sheepishly. "Yeah."

"And the young lady with him," Jezrael began dryly, "is my daughter-"

"Cassandra," Dana finished. "Lauran mentioned her, she's gorgeous."

"She looks like her mother," Jezrael murmured, and Dana could have sworn the drake was blushing faintly.

"Is Cassandra in the Brotherhood too?"

"Of course," Lauran quipped. "She's next in line."

"Next in...." Dana began, and then looked sharply at Jezrael. "Is that true? When you-retire-she's going to succeed you?"

"Yes." Jezrael raised an eyebrow. "Is that a problem?"

"Oh, no, no," Dana said hastily. "I'm just surprised. In the Ring a woman would never be allowed to lead."

Jezrael lifted his shoulders. "The Brotherhood's never been led by a woman either, but I think Cassie will persuade them."

Dana looked at Lauran hopefully. "You think that I could meet her before I leave?"

"What?" Lauran asked. "You want to meet Cass? Why?"

"Why not?" Dana leaned back against the desk and smiled. "I'm sure you've told her about me."

"Well, yeah; but Dana, come on, don't you think-"

Jezrael placed a hand on the young man's shoulder, silencing him instantly. "We'll compromise."

"Aww, no." Lauran raised his hands defensively. "We've tried that once already."

"Listen, Lauran," Jezrael insisted. "It's obvious that Dana wants to learn more about you and the people you're involved with-she's family, you can't deny that. Why don't you take her to meet Cassandra, and then go to Sikarta with her and meet her husband?"

"That's perfect!" Dana's eyes lit up. "Jordan would love to meet you, and it would give us all a chance to get to know each other better."

Lauran released a sigh and eyed the two older ducks. He was skeptical, that much was clear; but what could he do? Besides, there was still so much more he could learn.... "All right. I'll do it."

Dana brightened and Jezrael clapped Lauran on the shoulder. "Excellent. You two should get going, then." He turned to Dana and extended his hand again. "It's been a true pleasure getting to know you, Dana. I promise you'll always have a friend within these walls."

She took his hand and shook it warmly. "The pleasure's all mine, Jezrael. Maybe we'll meet again someday."

"Perhaps." He smiled. "One never knows in this business-oh, wait a moment, I have something for you."

Jezrael turned and searched the wall behind his desk, then plucked off a small photograph in a plain black frame and pressed it into Dana's hands. "Here."

"Oh, no, I really couldn't," she began; then she looked at the picture and lost her breath.

It was Duke-a much younger Duke, grinning happily and trying to balance three very small ducks on his lap-two girls and a boy, and the boy was obviously Lauran. The two girls both had shiny black hair and deep blue eyes-one was white-feathered, sitting up straight, prim and serious; but the other, brown-feathered and obviously younger, looked wiggly and vivacious, fat little fingers stuffed in her mouth.

"I don't understand." Dana looked up at Jezrael. "I mean, I recognize Lauran, but-"

"The girls are two of my daughters, Dana," Jezrael replied. "Cassandra and Kirachel-Kiri's my second eldest. Anya and I have five children, three girls and two boys." His voice grew soft with fatherly fondness. "Duke's their godfather."

She stared at him, stunned beyond speech, and he continued. "Duke left this with me before he went off with the Resistance. I think he'd like for you to have it."

And Dana couldn't speak, but Jezrael understood.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"He's a nice guy," was all Dana could say at first.

"Jezrael? Yeah, he's cool." But Dana remained exceedingly quiet as she followed him, and Lauran had to glance over his shoulder occasionally to make sure she was still there. Since they'd left the Haven she hadn't stopped staring at the photograph that Jezrael had given her. What's so special about that picture?

As they neared their destination, Lauran could feel nervousness beginning to creep into the pit of his stomach. He didn't know why; he was almost angry with himself for feeling so strongly; but he could barely fight the urge to turn around and forget the whole thing. I shouldn't be doing this....

"Lauran." Dana's voice made him jump. "Lauran, we just passed my hotel. We're in Drakesworth."

He searched his pockets for his keys. "Yeah, so?"

"You're dating Jezrael Swordfeather's daughter and she lives here?"

"No." He slowed his pace, then stopped altogether and looked at her, his dark gaze daring her to challenge him. "We live here."

"You...." Her eyebrows arched. "You live together? You-you sleep together?"

"Yeah." He tried to grin and didn't quite pull it off. "When she's not mad at me."

"I'm sorry." She shook her head. "I know it's none of my business. I just thought, with her family, all that prestige.... How did you meet her? Are you going to marry her?"

"Eventually." He turned away and began to walk on. "You sure know how to get personal, Dana"-his tone made her blush-"but since you asked...I can't remember when I didn't know Cass. Jezrael and Dad were such good friends, she was always around, we were always...together." He turned to her with a faint smile. "Things just sort of...happened."

She studied the picture again. "What about her sister?"

"Which one? She's got two." He took the picture from her hands. "Kirachel-we call her Kiri-and Aidan. Kiri and Aidan are the same age, they're both eighteen...but Aidan's adopted, they didn't have her yet when this was done." He turned the small frame in his hands and passed it back to her. "Of course they're all in the Brotherhood. I see Kiri the most, she helps run the Armory-you know, weapons and gear. Aidan's at the University, studying art or something. Then there's their brothers, Ian and Paul, they're sixteen, they're twins. In some fancy boarding school at Cold Harbor." He stopped, feeling he'd really said too much.

"Is this it?" Dana asked suddenly; and Lauran looked up, swearing under his breath. They'd reached his front door and he hadn't even noticed they'd arrived.

"Yeah, this is it." He jangled his keys; and by the tone of his voice, Dana could tell that, compromise or no, he wasn't at all thrilled by the prospect of having his aunt meet his live-in. She frowned inwardly and slipped the photograph into her purse.

"Ah, come on," she urged softly. "It won't be that bad."

"Yeah, whatever." He pushed the door open and waved Dana inside, and she found herself in a darkened but tastefully decorated living room. Definitely a woman's touch. "Wait here."

Lauran walked away, down the short hallway. "Cass?" he called, several times; and at last got a muffled response from behind a closed door.

Dana waited for about a minute; then she crept after Lauran, and into the room he'd entered, feeling her face flush with warmth as she realized this was their bedroom. Lauran was sitting on the edge of the bed in the far corner, murmuring softly to a slim shape that shifted beneath the covers.

Dana waited a moment before clearing her throat politely. Lauran turned abruptly, his dark eyes narrow; but the shape in the bed sat up, and Dana was able to see who he was talking to. She caught her breath-if this was Cassandra, she was indeed beautiful. Her long black hair melted into the darkness, but her white feathers and deep blue eyes more than compensated for the dimness. When she saw Dana and smiled, the room seemed to brighten.

"Mrs. Maldrake?" Gracefully she slid out from under the bedclothes and got to her feet, approaching Dana with an extended hand, much like her father had. "I'm so glad to meet you, Lauran's told me all about you-I'm Cassandra."

Dana took her hand and smiled warmly. "It's my pleasure to meet you, Cassandra-and please, call me Dana."

"All right." The younger duck looked down at her own rumpled silk pajamas and laughed softly. "I do apologize for your seeing me like this"-she stared meaningfully at Lauran-"but Laur didn't tell me you were coming, and I was out late last night on a job, so...." She shrugged serenely. "Oh well, it couldn't be helped. Please, let's go in the living room and make ourselves comfortable."

Dana had to suppress a smile as she followed the younger woman, noticing that Lauran still wore a faint frown. He had to wake her up just so I could see her...no wonder he didn't want me coming here....

At Cassandra's gesture she took a seat on the couch; Cassandra, in the meantime, exchanged a few words with Lauran that Dana couldn't hear, and then pulled him by the hand over to where Dana was sitting. She seated herself on the floor at his feet; and after a moment of awkward silence she said, "I trust you had an interesting conversation with my father."

"Oh yes. He told me a lot about Duke"-Dana glanced at Lauran, who still appeared uneasy-"and a bit about the Brotherhood. I must admit I'm pleased to learn you're next in line to lead-but surely you've got reservations?"

"Oh, that." Cassandra crimsoned faintly. "No, not really. I know it's a big step. But Daddy's a firm believer that a woman can lead as well as a man-I've spent my entire life hearing about the leadership of the Brotherhood and how someday it would all be mine. It's going to be a nice change of pace, I think-and when the time comes, I'll be ready."

Dana smiled, studying the young duck carefully. She couldn't be more than eighteen or nineteen years old, but already she had her father's poise, his regal air and confidence-a commanding presence, but a gentleness to temper it. Very impressive, Dana thought. I don't think the Brotherhood knows what they're getting-a nice change of pace, indeed.

"It's a good thing you take to leadership so well," she told Cassandra. "I'm afraid I have need of your talents."

The younger duck frowned, her deep blue gaze quizzical. "What do you mean?"

Dana smiled. "I need you to help me persuade that drake"-she pointed directly at Lauran-"to come to Sikarta and meet the rest of his family. He didn't seem too thrilled when your father brought it up, so I was hoping you could persuade him."

"Dammit." Lauran got to his feet. "You mean this whole thing has been just a-a charade to get me to go with Sikarta with you? Oh, forget it, babe. Forget it once and for all."

Dana was speechless, and Cassandra said, "Lauran-"; but her lover wouldn't let her get any further.

"For God's sake, Cassandra!" he snapped. "What's with all of you? This woman shows up"-he flung an arm at Dana-"tells me she's my old man's sister. Then Jezrael tells me that Dad was an assassin! How do you think I feel, finding out that everything I grew up with was a lie? It's a lie, it's all a lie-I'm having my world turned upside down and you treat this like it's a fucking family reunion!"

And he started to cry.

"Oh, God." Dana put her face in her hands. "I'm sorry-you were right, I shouldn't have come here...."

Cassandra said nothing, only stood up and eased her arms around Lauran, crooning to him as he pressed his face into her hair and gave full vent to his frustration, the room echoing with his harsh sobs.

At last he grew quiet and straightened up. Cassandra took his face in her hands and kissed him softly; and then he turned back to Dana, wiping his eyes.

"I'm sorry," he muttered. "I just-all my life I've wanted a family, a normal family, and now that I've found it...I don't know what to do with it." He laughed a little. "I shouldn't have said what I did, Dana. Please forgive me."

She got to her feet and hugged him. "It's all right, Lauran. You're upset, you've got every right to be upset, and I-I'll understand if you don't want to come back to Sikarta with me."

"Oh, no," Cassandra said sternly. "You've come all this way, he's going with you, and...." Her blue eyes danced with amusement. "If you can give me a little time to get dressed properly, I'm going too."

Lauran stared at her. "Cass, you can't be serious! It'll take a whole day to get to Sikarta, and you've hardly slept-"

"I'll sleep on the plane," was the answer; and she said it so definitely that Dana knew Lauran wouldn't argue. She turned and faced him, her blue eyes wide and sincere. "Lauran, love, if you don't go, you'll regret it. Opportunities like this don't come along very often-besides, I'll be with you, and-" Cassandra's voice grew softer. "Someday your family will be my family too."

Dana held her breath hopefully. "Please come, Lauran. Both of you, we'd love to have you." She smiled impishly. "Besides, once you taste my blueberry pancakes, you won't want to leave."

She and Cassandra exchanged glances and broke into laughter. Lauran remained silent, though the corners of his mouth twitched upward.

"All right," he said at last. "I'll go, since you've both persuaded me." He crossed his arms in mock anger. "But I want both of you to know I'm still against it."

Dana giggled; and Cassandra, smiling broadly, took his hands into her own. "We know, my love. We know."


The End
Back to Cassandra's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction