Blood Ties

By Sheeba

After a search of considerable length, the young Saurian female, Lady Venessa, was finally able to locate Sheeba in her usual place; out on her balcony, resting in a daze of sorts in the mid-morning sunshine. This time it had been the fear of being hunted down by Dragaunus that had brought Venessa to Sheeba, and the general need for companionship. She was surprised to find the Saurian War Lady, the fierce Saurian she'd seen only a few months ago contented to stay with the Overlord's young sister, Fayette.

Venessa cautiously approached, and smiled meekly when Sheeba opened one eye slowly and stared. "Just wondering how you're feeling?" She asked softly not wanting to wake Fayette, who was happily sleeping with her head on Sheeba's shoulder, the two stretched out together on something similar to a daybed. "I'm fine, I suppose. . ." Sheeba answered with an uneasy smile.

Fayette growled softly and opened her eyes. Looking around, her attention stopped on Venessa. "Hey lady, do you still think I'm an annoying little monster?" She ask, smiling savagely. "Well, you're certainty not all that civilized." Venessa remarked, smirking uneasily. Fayette narrowed her eyes and hissed at Venessa, whom growled, pivoted around and stormed back inside. "I don't think she likes me Sheebie." Fayette snickered, settling back down onto the white Saurian's shoulder.

Before long, the Chameleon came rushing out onto the balcony, out of breath and obviously alarmed about something. "What is it Chamely, did the houseplant try an' lick you back this time?" Sheeba asked, smiling at the shape shifter. "N- -No!" He panted "Pyro is- -is downstairs in the c- -control room." "Ahh, Pyro. . ." Sheeba laughed with an odd smile. "I- - was supposed to come and tell you, Dragaunus wants you down there now. . . .I really need to start going to a gym. . ." the Chameleon continued, clinging to the support pillar of the roof of the balcony for support. "That you do, you're pathetic." Sheeba chuckled, scooping up Dhaka and fading away.

"Heeeeeeeey Chameleon, let's play ." Fayette giggled, sending a chill down the shape shifter's spine.

* * *
It was a surprise to Sheeba to see only a few gathered in the control room, Dragaunus, Pyro, and Wraith. She had very little idea why Wraith was there, but she knew why Pyro was there, the same reason Pyro was there as why he was always there, to annoy his older half brother, the Saurian Overlord. The greeting was different, the situation the same.

"Sheeba, you look great!" Pyro exclaimed, dropping the current argument with Dragaunus and rushing up to her like an old friend. "Pyro, you're a liar, I look awful." She replied with a slight blush, absent mindedly gesturing to the large bulge under her robes. "There's something to be said about the beauty of fertility versus the beauty of lust." He replied with a gentle smile. "Why are you here, Pyro?" Dragaunus asked, glaring cautiously at the quarter breed. "Wha, you're still in the room Dragaunus?" He replied in a sour tone. "Answer me, before I make you regret even being conceived." Dragaunus growled, stalking towards the smaller, dark scaled male. "Finding out who my father was is the only thing that ever made me regret being created." Pyro retorted, knowing it'd set Dragaunus on the defensive. "Yes I am regretful that we have the same fathers, even more regretful that my father lowered himself to mate with a half breed Avian captive love slave." Pyro backed away slowly, shook his head, and exited the room with his head down. Sheeba and the Wraith both glared at Dragaunus, the old sorcerer opting to leave, and faded away into a cloud of smoke.

Standing in the large, gloomy hallway was the ever-beautiful Darqe, and her younger and less desirable sister, Venessa. Pyro didn't recognize the two as anyone he knew, and would have continued creeping down the hallway in a devastated state if not for Venessa latching onto the end of his tail and pulling him backwards a ways. In shock he yelped and spun around, ready for a confrontation, but found the young female and her companion staring at him in question. "Who're you?" The short, spotted female asked. "Pyro. . ." He sighed, now depressed at not being able to get the better of Dragaunus, and simply wanting to return home. "What brings you to this place?" Darqe asked, approaching slowly. "Long story." Her replied. "We have plenty of time to hear about it. . ." Darqe said thoughtfully to herself, more than Venessa or Pyro. "Yeah, spill yer guts!" Venessa laughed. He sighed and reluctantly smiled. "I suppose. . . it wouldn't take that long. . .to explain. . .all right."

He blinked and found himself in a dimly lit room with shelves and stacks of old, dusty books, and a small candle lit table for three. "Sit." Venessa said, motioning to the table. Doing as he was told, he sat down in the chair which allowed him to view the whole room with his back to the wall. Getting settled in a bit, Darqe sat down beside him, and Venessa across from him, both females intrigued by this newcomer male. "May I be so bold as to ask who you are first, ladies?" He asked, smiling sweetly at them, Venessa almost melting in her chair. "I'm Darqe, Lady Darqe. Second mate to the Saurian Overlord, or something like that. My companion and sister is Venessa." The beautiful silver scaled female answered in one smooth sentence. "I thought Sheeba was Dragaunus's mate." Pyro asked suspiciously. "She is. . . so are we. He decided to revive the ancient right of taking several mates." Venessa hissed. "Never knew." The male chuckled, grinning at Venessa, which made her slide back down into her seat and blush.

"Your turn." Darqe said after a long silence. "Where should I start?" He asked. "The basics, of course. Who are you, and why are you here?" "I only wish I knew who I was." Pyro chuckled quietly to himself. "I guess you could say I'm your mate's half brother, though he'd never claim me. My name is Pyro, and I'm here to check on Sheeba." "Why would he never claim you? Are you a marked outcast, like Nova?" Venessa asked, moving a bit closer. "Oh no, I'm just ¼ Duck, that's all." Darqe was looking him over carefully, studying him, obviously in question. "Where are you from?" She asked softly. "One of the many Dimensions accessible through Limbo, but no where in particular. I'm a Dimension hopper of sorts. . .I live for a while in one Dimension, grow tired of it, and move on. A friend of mine asked me to bring him here, because I knew exactly where to find Sheeba. He says he needs to talk to her about her powers, or something like that. . ."

* * *
After a while of searching, the Wraith found Sheeba where she spent most of her time since becoming pregnant; her balcony with Dhaka, on her day bed.

"My lady Sheeba, may I have a word with you? Alone that is." spoke Wraith, as he bowed to her after she looked at him.
"Of course." She replied with a slow gesture. Dhaka raised her tiny head and attempted a growl at the old sorcerer, which came out too cute to be threatening.
She then slipped from Sheeba's side and slithered into Sheeba and Dragaunus's shared quarters, still able to hear the discussion

"So what brings you here?" Sheeba asked slowly, readjusting her position so she was more up right. "I thought you were on earth with Eel?" Wraith grinned sadistically. "She's learned all she can from me, and decided to become the mate of Nova, the outcast." Sheeba snorted. "Well, Eel did like him even if he is an outcast." So speak your mind. I know that is not all you wanted to discuss with me."
"It's about the dark arts, Sheeba." Wraith said, coldly but yet there was still some warmth to his voice. "I've already told you I don't want to learn." She growled, attempting to get up, but eventually, after struggling, decided to stay put, that it wasn't worth it. "My dear lady, your family line is of my family line. My brother is your ancestor. My brother was weak in the Arts but for me. He told me that it will probably be a long time till a child of his line will attain the magic of the dark arts. You have shown the gift of the dark arts it's weak but if you learn it will grow." said Wraith, looking at her.
Sheeba sighed uneasily.

"I'm a Saurian war lady, not a sorceress." She replied in a cold, determined tone. Wraith smiled, "I understand that, my lady. But also having magic in battle is also useful too. Suppose you loose your weapon, due to malfunction." "I still don't care. I prefer technology." "M'lady, if you don't learn to control your gifts, your powers could swing wildly out of control and kill someone dear to you. Can you imagine how you'd feel if you killed Dragaunus, or one of your children when they're born?" He asked, knowing that'd get her attention and keep it.
Sheeba looked at him shocked. She would kill herself if she killed Dragaunus by accident or one of her children. She moved slowly as Wraith helped her to stand up. She walked to the balcony and looked out to see Dragaunus and Nafaud far below on a different level balcony discussing what planet to attempt take over on next. She breathed deep and turned to look at him. "All right, I'll learn the dark arts to be able to protect the ones I love from harm if my powers do go awry."
"Excellent, your training starts tomorrow." He replied. "Can't I at least wait until I have my children? I only have four months left at most, probably less because of there being two, possibly." She whimpered.
"The sooner you start, the better you'll be when the time comes, my lady." said Wraith, as he bowed to her and vanished in a puff of smoke.

"Oh don't give me a chance to change my mind, you old buzzard." She snorted, laying back down and having Dhaka come scurrying back to her and up on her lap.
Dhaka looked at her shocked as she laid on her lap.
"What?!" snapped Sheeba, looking at Dhaka. The small fire lizard whimpered and lowered her head. "Oh, I'm sorry I snapped at you. I'm just cranky and angry." said Sheeba, as she placed her hand on Dhaka. In response, the tawny brown lizard emitted a low purr of sorts, more like a growl and rolled onto her back, wanting her belly rubbed. Sheeba slowly traced the delicate lines of scales in response.

Both closed their eyes and drifted off to sleep. Sheeba was soon lifted off the daybed by someone, someone with good intentions. Screaming out in fright and shock, she glowed in her powers and sent the intruder across the room slamming into the wall. Sheeba looked up from her spot which she was dropped to see Dragaunus slumped against the wall.

"Oh no!! Oh Saurian Gods! Please let him be alive!! I implore you!" she screamed as she scrambled to his side as quickly as she could. As she approached, to her relief she realized he was breathing and looking at her with some sign of shock. Sensing the disturbance, the Wraith faded into the room.

Wraith knew by how Dragaunus looked that Sheeba had used her gifts that she had on him. He quickly cast a healing spell over the male Saurian, just to make sure things were okay.

"Looks like training will start sooner than expected, descendant." He chuckled, turning to look at her. Sheeba whimpered plaintively "They warned me that I would be moody if I got pregnant. They never said I'd do that though." Slowly she eased herself down onto her knees at Dragaunus's side. "Tell me why did Wraith call you his descendant?" He asked, staring up at her, eyes flickering slightly. Sheeba gulped. She didn't know what to say to him as she looked down at him, but she knew she had to tell him her link to Wraith. "I. .am a descendant. . of his brother, my great, great grandfather." She managed. Dragaunus seemed to be satisfied with her answer for the moment.

"I was wondering why Wraith was pleased by me having you as my mate, now I understand the full reasoning of why." "Are you sure you're okay?" She asked again, wanting desperately to change the subject.

Dragaunus stood up and helped her to stand. "Yes, now that I know the full extent what my mate is capable of." "I'm only in the training stage" said replied with a slight blush.

"Did you not say that you preferred technology over the Dark Powers all the time on earth? Why do you like the idea so much?" She asked after a long silence.
"What technology can't go, Magic may be able to. We could conquer the whole known universe, and much farther beyond, I mean everything Sheeba, now that I know I have someone I can trust completely." He glared at Wraith, whom sighed and faded away. "Wonderful." She said with a smile. "We could have everything." "My point exactly." He replied.

Slowly she backed away, whimpering and shaking her head. "What's wrong?" he asked nervously. "N-nothing. . really." She replied, and then collapsed to the floor of the balcony; unconscious.

 

 

To Be Continued. . .