Blood From A Cylinder

By Nyre

Tyana Ferau fumed as she paced back and forth. The Ducks and that accursed STROBE had destroyed her creations once again. She sat before her computer console and tapped a pencil to her temple. I have to think. Think, girl, think!

"My, my, Tyana, child. Thinking up a new scheme to bring down those wretched ducks I see." She spun, auburn curls falling across her face. Her amber eyes narrowed in recognition. "Wraith... oh, it's you." She snapped and returned to her seat. "Yes." She smiled bitterly. "In fact I am. Why are you here?"

"A proposal from my Lord Dragaunus child, he's thought up an idea where we will need your expertise." Her eyebrows shot up in curiosity. "All right lizard, talk and I'll see if we'll be coming up with business."

* * *

"Okay Nyre, just take it from the top." Drake called from other side of the glass. Nyre smiled and adjusted the headphones she'd been wearing. She laughed softly as Nosedive made a face. Mallory on the other hand elbowed the younger duck in the ribs and told him to stop. The whole team gave her encouraging signs as Hacker flipped the switch and the taping began again. As she listened to her first recording singing the main melody she sang into the mic once more adding her harmony into the song.

As she finished, she smiled and sank into the chair behind her. "Did we get it right now?" She asked as Mallory entered through the door to her right. The redhead duck smiled and sat on the floor. "Yup. Drake and Hacker are paying up, Dee's asking for a copy and the twins are listening to it in their walkman. I'd say you did pretty well."

Nyre sighed and leaned on the backrest. "Hope so Mal. This is one thing I want to get through with. Just writing and compiling these things is hard, but worth it in the end." She smiled and the two glanced up as the door opened. "Hey Tan!"

"We got everything done with. You wanna go out, the twins and Dee are begging for some major window shopping." Mal laughed and Nyre stood up. "Okay then, let's move!"

* * *

"In my sights now, boss." The Chameleon said into his wrist comm and then morphed into a young boy. He followed the group of girls and as Nyre stood in front of a window he raced at top speed, and bumped into her.

* * *

"What the heck?!" Nyre fell back a step as a young boy about ten crashed into her. A pair of pale hazel eyes stared up at her in embarrassment.

"I'm uhm, sorry miss." He mumbled, shoving his hand into his back pockets and dropping his head. "I didn't mean to run into you." Nyre smiled and placed a hand on the boy's shoulder. "It's okay kid."

"Gee, thanks miss." He said and ran off.

"Weird kid." Nyre said and began to walk back to her friends. "Hey Nyre, what's the deal with your arm?" Dee pointed out the tiny cut that had suddenly appeared on her arm.

"What?" She asked and took a look at it. "Now where's I get this?"

* * *

"Got the first one boss." Dragaunus laughed and turned his gaze to the human female preparing the cylinders at her desk. "We've got the girl's DNA. It's a blood sample, Tyana."

"Good," she smiled as she mixed two chemicals carefully. "All we need now is the duck's."

* * *

Wildwing smiled as he watched his brother plop the stack comics on the counter and made a little idle chat with Thrash and Mookie. He leaned on the wall and sighed. This was one of those days. He'd simply accompanied Dive because the girls and the others were out somewhere else. He looked around and watched as a young boy about thirteen, approach him slowly. "Yes?" He asked, smiling slightly for the kid's benefit.

"You're Wildwing right?" He asked.

"Yes, I am."

"I know, I know it's impolite to ask in public since you might be busy or somethin', but, can I have your autograph?" He showed him a picture of the team and STROBE. It had been an ad for the charity fund they'd supported a week ago.

Wildwing smiled and shrugged, "Sure, why not? I'm doing nothing 'cept waiting for my brother to finish anyway." He took the ad then searched his pockets for a pen. "Hey, kid, do you have a pen?" He asked sheepishly.

"Sure here." The boy pulled out a black pen from his pocket and stood at Wildwing's left peering over to see. "Just there." The young teen pointed out.

"What's your name?"

"Uhm, Vince."

"Okay then Vince, here you go." Wildwing handed the paper over and the boy smiled, said a thank you and left.

"What was that about bro?" Nosedive asked as he approached his older brother.

"Just some kid wanting an autograph."

"Oh."

"Let's go."

* * *

The still form in the alleyway watched as the two ducks left and walked away. "Got it boss. I'm heading back." A greenish light flashed and the figure disappeared.

* * *

"Ouch! DEE!" A shout rang out.

"Sorry...!"

"What the heck is goin' on here?" Duke demanded as he entered the Ready Room. Nyre was on the couch and Dee was too, putting iodine and a gauze cover on the one-inch long wound on the older girl's arm. "And where on Earth did you get that?" He asked and took a look at Nyre's arm. "Are you and Wing connected or somethin' cause the guy's got a wound jus' like this one."

"Where?" Tanya and Mal asked at the same time.

"The arm too, same size I guess, and almost the same place."

"Nyre got the wound while we were in the Mall. Some kid bumped into her and I guess she hit something and got scratched." Marri explained as Mel nodded in agreement.

"A kid?" Wildwing's voice graced the conversation as he entered with Nosedive. "A boy?"

"Yup."

"About thirteen?"

"No, more like ten."

"Oh, then it couldn't be the same kid I met at Captain Comics."

"That's weird."

"There is trouble coming ahead my friends." Grin entered the room and the whole group looked up to see him, Ace and Hacker, their faces serious.

"Grin, Hacker, Ace, what's up?" Dive asked as he left his brother's side.

"We had a little run-in with Tyana earlier." Hacker frowned even more as he explained.

"She was with the Chameleon and they were headin' over to her lab or something like that." Ace put in and peered over at Nyre and then at Wing, noticing the wrapped wounds on their arms. "What happened to you guys?"

"We're not sure. Better keep alert. We don't know what Tya might be up to this time."

"Right." The team said in unison.

* * *

"Perfect." Tyana laughed insanely as she typed and mixed the two strands of DNA together. "She'll be ready in an hour Wraith, inform Lord Dragaunus." Her amber eyes twinkled with insanity. "And those ducks will be perfect for our dinner."

"Well done child," Wraith smiled and peered over at the computer console and then to the large cylinder filled with thick orange goo. He watched in silence as the human injected a silverish liquid into a small clay-like substance and put that into the cylinder.

Minutes later the clay had begun to take the shape of a small human fetus, then gradually grow little by little. In the next thirty minutes Tyana, Wraith, the Chameleon, Siege and Lord Dragaunus (via the communicator) watched as the tiny fetus turned into a baby girl and then grow further into the ages of thirteen. At the end of the hour, she was ready. A hybrid of fifteen years.

"She's beautiful. My best creation yet." Tyana danced around, amber eyes filled with a yellow fire, auburn hair lifted to the air. She then stopped and placed both hands on the outer cylinder and tapped softly. "Wake up my dear, wake up." She whispered and smiled slyly.

"Gee Wraith, she looks sorta like a mix of that duck and that human." Chameleon put in softly, amazed that the small amount of blood he'd taken could create this.

"You're right, Chameleon." Tyana answered him and stepped away from the cylinder. "That's what's gonna make the ducks find difficulty in hurting her. We send her in, she gets captured and Tanya will have to check her DNA, and they'll find Wildwing's and Nyre's mixed together." She laughed out loud and smiled insanely, turning back to her creation. "In a sense, she's their daughter!"

* * *

Where am I? I asked myself. My limbs felt weak, my skin, cold. I felt ripples of some sort pass my body. Who am I? I asked myself. I don't remember... I realized and felt an immense fear. I knew things. Remembered things I know exist.

How to walk, to run, what a tree is, how a computer works...

And yet, I can't remember my name.

"Wake up my dear, wake up..." The voice was distant and yet I felt it was only inches away. An attempt to open my eyes. I failed.

I'll wait. And I slumped back into slumber.

* * *

"Okay, breathe!"

The figure coughed, and felt liquid escape from her mouth. She opened her eyes slowly.

First there were only shadowy forms, and then she could make out figures. The colors came later on and she saw four beings looking down on her. One was human, a female with red hair and amber eyes. She smiled sweetly and yet disturbingly.

The other three were evolved forms of lizards... or something like that.

"Welcome back to the land of the living child." The lizard with a long wooden staff with a skull on it's top said softly. He placed a hand on the young, female ducks' shoulder. "Chameleon, fetch the girl some garments from Tyana's quarters. Siege, go and assist him." The big, fat orange lizard nodded and joined the small, skinny green one in exiting the room.

"Who are you?" The duck asked sitting up. Tyana, as she assumed the female to be, wrapped her tighter in the large towel and tended to clearing up wetness on her face.

"I'm afraid she doesn't remember, Tyana." The lizard said.

"Castel, honey, we're your family and friends," Tyana said thoughtfully. Her amber eyes had dimmed to the darker shade. "You've been out cold for the last week." Her voice was hypnotic and soothing.

Castel... is that who I am? She thought.

"We're back Wraith." Siege's voice echoed as they entered with a pair of jogging pants and a loose sweater. "This was all we could find." They handed the garments to Tyana who turned crimson.

"Imbeciles! You forgot something!" She stormed out of the room and then quickly returned with two other small garments in a plastic bag. She turned her attention to the three, "You three, out! I have to help Castel change. Out! Move!" The three quickly left and shut the door behind them.

"Come with me Castel." She took the duck's hand and led her to a small cubicle with a shower, soap and shampoo. "Take your time, ask me questions later." She pushed her into the cubicle and turned on the water.

 

"So my parents are dead?" Castel asked softly, as she sat on the floor. Tyana was seated to her right, nodding softly. Her hair was still dripping wet although she was already dressed in dark gray jogging pants and a blue sweater a size too big for her since Tyana was almost a foot taller.

"Yes." She replied and looked away. "We found you lying unconscious about a meter away from their remains. I thought you were dead, but Wraith, Lord Dragaunus and the two others, Chameleon and Siege convinced me that you weren't." She pushed away a strand of ebony hair behind Castel's ear. "I'm glad they were right."

"How... how did they die?" She asked shakily, looking down at her hands. I have five fingers, and instead of the skin Tyana has, I have light peach feathers all over. She thought to herself.

She'd looked into the mirror earlier and seen herself in full view. She was small in size, with a slightly big-boned frame. Ebony eyes looked back wide and open, ebony hair fell down past her shoulders and a small beak smiled slightly. Tyana had explained that she was Avian, a humanoid duck if you may, and her parents were the same... in a sense.

The human said that they'd come to this planet, Earth, with the help of Lord Dragaunus and his three companions. They were seeking out a group of intergalactic rogues who'd come to the planet and had been dubbed as the 'good guys' by the human population.

Tyana also explained that she'd thought that they were friends as well until they'd betrayed her and left her to suffer on her own. "Lord Dragaunus has thought up a plan for you to get your revenge. He's readied several hunter drones to assist you in attacking the Mighty Ducks."

"Must I...? Somehow, it doesn't feel right. I don't even remember them... and I don't think revenge will solve anything... they're gone." She hugged her knees close to her beak.

"Your memory will return, child. Now, go with Chameleon, we have to get you some new clothes." Tyana stood and pulled Castel with her.

* * *

"That's them?" Castel asked as she peered over the rack. A group of friends were over at a few stone tables outside of the mall and were fooling around. "They hardly look anything Tyana says they are." She glanced doubtfully at Chameleon who'd transformed himself into a tall man about 19. He snorted and shoved a pair of pants and a blouse at her.

"Try this." She nodded obediently and walked into the small dressing room, still avoiding any attention. Not that I have to. She mused. Lord Dragaunus had lent her a device that could make any non shape-shifter look human to the naked eye.

She quickly put on the pants and the blouse. Perfect. "I have my size Chameleon."

"Good. I'll get a couple more of these and then we head back to the base." And in minutes they were leaving the store.

* * *

Castel surveyed her surroundings. The back end of the lab looked much like a training gym. As Siege had trained her... 'retrained' her earlier. She caught onto the techniques fast and was able to breeze through the whole course.

She plopped down on the floor, exhausted and closed her eyes.

Who are you? The voice came suddenly, asking softly. Castel looked around and all she saw was darkness... infinite darkness.

Answer me little one, who are you? A light appeared before her. A light where the voice came from.

Castel. I'm... Castel.

Castel....?

Yes. Castel... I think.

See, child? You doubt yourself, but no matter....

Who are you?

Who am I? Child, you need not ask such questions. I am simply a dream... your conscience... a voice deep inside you asking the same questions you hide.

Questions?

Yes, questions. Like who you are... who your parents were... how you came to be... do you not ask of these?

I do... I want to know. Things seem so vague. I ask Tyana the things I want to know but she never answers... and when she does, she doesn't make any sense!

What has she told you?

* * *

Outside, two figures spoke softly as they watched the figure lying on the floor. "I'm getting the creepy feeling that she's doubting us."

"How can she not, Tyana? The information you give her is inconsistent."

"Shut up. Let's get her to Lab 2. I have a something to make all her doubts vanish... And make her the ally we want her to be."

* * *

What has she told you child?

That my parents are... dead. That I must avenge them by killing people I don't know. That my memory will return.

And the others with this... Tyana?

Siege and Chameleon are... okay. Chameleon's funny in a sense. Siege... he's so... so... Siege. Wraith... he's like an old grandfather who dabbles with stuff I don't wanna work with. And Lord Dragaunus....

Yes?

He sometimes scares me. He gets mad too often.... Sometimes I think thoughts... bad ones about him.

Like what little one?

That he's the one who's evil...

"Cas... Cass.... Cass...!"

* * *

Her eyes jerked open and she saw Tyana and Wraith standing over her. "Uhm... sorry... I fell asleep. I was tired."

"No harm done, child, but let us go now. We have something for you."

* * *

"And as we end tonight's game the Ducks win 7 to 2!"

It had been a week since they'd played last and the ducks weren't disappointed in their playing, and neither were their fans. "What a rush!" Mallory laughed as they headed to the lockers.

"I can just... I dunno -- PARTY!" Nosedive whooped and Duke shook his head. Wildwing laughed at his brother's enthusiasm and placed a shoulder to calm him down.

"Boobies!" Phil Palmfeather suddenly running in. A very proud look was planted on his face. "Great game! No interviews and photo shoots today, you guys get some sleep and rest, you have a formal dinner to attend day after tomorrow."

The ducks shook their heads. "You always seem to find a way Phil, don't you?" Duke grimaced.

"Don't worry guys, we checked it out, you won't be disappointed. It' a nice place, and it's just a social gathering." Drake, Nyre and Dee walked in. Ace and Hacker had gone on a small vacation for the holiday, leaving just the three to stay with the ducks.

"What kind?" Tanya asked nervously.

"It's a pre-Christmas dinner. I'm sure you guys have experienced Christmas already. This is just a party some big time family wants to throw." Dee smiled. "Let's go and get you guys out of those gear, we have some shopping to do!" She grabbed Nosedive and Duke and dragged them in. Drake extended an arm to Mallory who gladly took it, and Hacker walked in with Tanya and Grin.

"Guess it's just you and me, Angel." Wildwing smiled down at Nyre and pulled her close to him giving her a gentle peck on the cheek. "Nice singing tonight."

"Thanks, you did well on the ice yourself." And they walked in.

* * *

"You know what to do little one." Castel switched off her comm hearing the final instructions of Dragaunus and Tyana. Yes. I know. Narrowing her cold ebony eyes, she closed her hand over the laser and sighed. "Follow me!"

* * *

"We'll definitely have to stick Nosedive in a tux." The group laughed at Tanya's comment as they walked to the exit when...

"Hold it right there Mighty Ducks." A female figure in black stepped out of the shadows, a laser ray aimed right at them. Several drones came out behind her.

"Hey! Who are you?" Mallory said, hand going to her launcher, Drake stopped her midway.

The female laughed and stepped into the shadows. Dee quickly sucked in her breath in surprise. It was a female duck, a little taller than Nyre, with straight ebony hair and eyes, and feathers close to Wildwing's shade. "I should've known you'd pretend not to know me." She glared at them, and her gaze would've been hard enough if not for the sadness and the tears that were forming.

"Hey kid, sorry, but we really have no clue who you are, except for the hunter drones which give you away as someone in league with that scum Dragaunus." Duke put in.

"Don't you dare insult him!" She fired, they ran for cover. "Attack them! Take no prisoners, but leave those two to me!" She pointed a finger to Nyre and Wildwing.

Chaos ensued.

"What does she want with us?" Nyre asked as she and Wildwing morphed into battle gear.

"I don't know Nyre. Angel, you take the left?"

"You know I always do." She smiled at him and squeezed his hand. "Don't get singed, please." And she bolted right at the female ducks, tackling her to the ground.

"You human witch!" the duck screamed at Nyre knocking her to the wall. Nyre rubbed the back of her head and looked up to see a laser aimed right at her. "This is for my parents!" she began to pull on the trigger when a purple-gloved hand twisted her arm. "Ow!"

"Put the gun down, we don't want to hurt you!" Wildwing tried to reason with her as Nyre stood.

"Oh really!" She spun and tackled him. As Wing sprawled on the floor, she sent Nyre flying to the other end after delivering a roundhouse kick. As the female was about to teleport, Nosedive shot a puck, therefore disabling the device. Seeing she was outnumbered, ten to one, she broke into a sprint, heading for the main door. She never reached, as she was hit from behind.

Castel's last memory was of the ten surrounding her and of Nyre Leviste kneeling down to cradle her head.

* * *

"She's working for that lizard." Male... with a weird accent.

"She's a child, all I'm wondering is how she got here." A deep voice, passive type.

"She can't be from Puckworld, she's got five fingers." Stuffy.

"No duck has five fingers, girly-girl." Smooth, male. A little street slang mixed in the tone.

Voices. Why do I hear voices? Castel's head was swimming. She felt completely numb. Where am I? She tried to feel her arms, but she couldn't. Am I dead?

* * *

"Shhh, Mal, you're gonna wake her."

"Sorry Dee. God, is it just me or..."

"Does she look a whole lot like Nyre?"

"Right. Suuuuuuuuure."

"What are you two talking about?" Nyre approached her two friends who turned away.

"Nyre just... wait. Tanya!" Drake called the scientist.

"What?"

"Do me a favor, it's just a hunch, but, run a DNA test on this one."

"Why?"

"Just trust me," Drake said firmly.

"What's up Drake?" Wildwing asked, coming close behind Nyre and wrapping his arms around the small human's waist.

"It's nothing, but I think I know who sent her."

"Didn't she say she was with Dragaunus?"

"Yes, but, who's ever seen a duck with five-fingers, and what's all that crap about her family dying because of us?" Drake said taking his place on the couch. "And look at that armband. There's only one other person who wears an amber and red armband like that."

"Tyana?"

A moan sounded from the figure on the bed. "She's coming to." Dee told them and immediately, the group surrounded the young duck.

"She's just as old as me." Nosedive put in, peering over at the duck.

"How can you tell?" Duke asked.

"Well, she doesn't look as old as you Duke, that's for sure." The teenager smiled.

"Dive's got a point." Wing said, cutting in before Duke could retaliate. The duck on the bed opened her eyes slowly. Her mouth opened but no sound came out.

"Hey..." Nyre reached over and brushed the stray strands of hair out of her eyes. "It's okay, we won't hurt you." She cooed and gently stroked the duck's forehead. "The only thing we want to know is why you want us dead, and who you are." She hugged Wing's arm with her other hand.

"I'm... Castel... Why...? Why'd you save me? I'm your enemy...." Her voice was barely above a whisper and seemed as if it was a big effort to even speak.

"We don't kill." Mallory put in. "Not even the likes of Dragaunus."

"WILDWING! NYRE! YOU'D BETTER COME AND SEE THIS!" Tanya's voice called out in alarm from the laboratory portion of the medi-bay.

"Go." Dee mouthed and the two left.

"What is it Tanya?" Wildwing asked as he and Nyre walked in. Tanya sat on a chair, hand resting gently on a microscope, and pale under her feathers.

"Hey, Taunny, you okay?" Nyre went over to her friend and squeezed her shoulder.

"I know who the kid is."

* * *

"She's your what?!"

The whole team had gathered in the ready room, Castel included. She was wrapped in a blanket, wearing one of Nyre's loose shirts and shorts and sitting on the couch with Nosedive and Duke on each side and Grin behind, watching her for any sudden moves. She wasn't moving now though, as she stared, wide-eyed at the human and two ducks standing before the group.

"That's what Tanya's DNA scan came up with... Castel, from what came out you're technically... our daughter."

Nyre was trembling as she said the word. Wildwing held her hand as a boost of confidence. "I don’t believe it either." She admitted.

All eyes turned to the topic of the conversation. Castel hung her head. "I...."

"Can somebody run this by me again?!" Nosedive cut in, "Wing's a dad, Nyre's a mom and I'm a what?!"

"An uncle, Dive." Tanya murmured.

"Seriously, ya gotta be kiddin' me Tan-tan! I'm... her age! And so is Nyre! Heck, we don't even know if... hey, how old are you anyway Cass?"

"Uhm... fifteen...."

"A year younger than Nyre, two years younger than me! I can't be her uncle!" He smiled weakly at Castel. "No offense."

"None taken."

"Dive... shut your beak for moment 'kay?" Mallory snapped.

"Okay... okay. Sheesh." He plopped down on the couch.

"I don't understand." Castel whispered.

"What do you mean?" Nyre asked, kneeling before the hybrid.

"Things are so hazy now." Tears began to form slowly in her eyes. "I...." She began to sob moments later, covering her face with her hands.

"Shhh kiddo, it's gonna be okay." Duke patted her shoulder and turned his gaze to Tanya. "How could this be Tanya? How could Castel be Nyre and Wing's kid?"

Tanya nodded to Drake who brought out the red and amber armband Castel was wearing earlier. The tall human made his way beside Castel and inhaled before opening his mouth. "Castel?" The female looked up at him with teary eyes. "By any chance... do you know anyone by the name Tyana Ferau?" She nodded. "Tyana was the human girl who was taking care of me."

"It seems as though the child was a result of some sort of experiment." Grin murmured.

"Experiment? What-what do you mean?" Castel glanced around. The team members glanced to each other expectantly, wondering who would want to explain it all to the child. Nyre stepped forward.

"Castel..." She took the girl's hands into her own. She paused for a moment and searched for the words. "Uhm... Tyana... she's our nemesis." She explained softly, "as are Dragaunus and the other saurians." Castel stayed quiet, listening. "You were a result of an experiment, as far as we know, one done by Tyana." The human smiled weakly, "We can't think of any other explanation. Because though Wing and I are in a serious relationship, we are definitely not in one that could produce you!"

Silence filled the room as the team waited for a response. Second ticked by and finally she spoke. "I want to believe you." She whispered glancing to everyone. "Because it seems that it would explain my not having a memory of a childhood and of everything else." Her gaze dropped to her hands. "I hope this won't be too much to ask," She quickly looked back to Nyre, "Can I stay here? I don't want to be with them."

The human smiled and hugged her. "Of course."

* * *

"She hasn't returned." Tyana paced back and forth. She shot a deadly glare at Dragaunus. "What if she's been captured?"

"If her training was right she wouldn't be." He snarled, smoke rising from his nostrils.

"Well, is it my fault you can't act like her ally?!"

"Who kept on giving her inconsistent information--"

Beep. A picture came into the viewscreen. The four saurians and the human looked up. "Lord Dragaunus, this is Castel."

"Child, where are you?" He demanded.

"With the ducks sir. I had to let them capture me to gain their trust. They bought the bait--hook, line and sinker sir." A smile came to the hybrid's lips. "Might I suggest a plan of attack milord?"

"Speak Castel." Dragaunus smirked and the hybrid began to explain her plan of action.

* * *

Duke frowned as he watched the hybrid switch off Drake one. It was past midnight, and she'd just made a late night call. And he knew to whom. She slipped back into the hallway and he stood silently in the shadows. "A little late for phone calls, Cassy." She spun, shocked at his presence. "That was Draggy wasn't it sweetheart? What is it with you, you're gonna sell out to that scum?"

She narrowed her eyes. "What is it to you?" She sneered. "This is none of your business."

"Yes it is kiddo. The team... we're family. And Nyre and Wing, well, they welcomed you into open arms. Not to mention the rest of us agreeing to care for you, do you seriously think I'll allow you to hurt my friends?"

"Duke do you seriously think I'm gonna sell out to them?"

"Do you think I'm gonna buy that act of yours?"

"Then don't believe me." She paused and stepped back a few. "You don't have to trust or believe. But don't cross me." She darted off.

Duke leaned on the wall and turned his gaze to the other figure concealed in the shadows. "Come on out, Drake." Freewind walked into the light and fixed his emerald eyes on his fellow teammate. "So, what do you think?"

"I don't know what to think, Duke. She's messed up, that's what I can tell so far. Let's not do anything about this for the moment, I got the whole conversation on tape anyway." The human raised a recorder.

"Do we tell Nyre and Wing?"

"Not just yet. But watch the girl. She may have Wing and Nyre's DNA, but her loyalty... we still dunno where it really lies." And with that the two walked back to their rooms.

* * *

"Morning!" Light streamed into the room. Castel shielded her eyes and then pulled her blanket over her head. "G'way!" She mumbled. The blanket was pulled off her and she slowly got up.

Opening her eyes, there were several people standing over her. Oh no. Duke spilled.

Mallory smiled and pulled her to her feet. "Take a shower and get dressed." Dee laughed as Tanya threw her some clothes.

"We figured since you were Dee's size, that she'd lend you some. Now go on!" Nyre pushed her into the bathroom and closed the door. Well, Castel thought as she turned to face the mirror. Orders are orders.

* * *

"Where are we going anyway?" She asked as she sat in the Migrator.

Nosedive laughed and turned his attention to her. "The Mall, kiddies!" He flashed her a smile, causing her cheeks to flush pink. "We're gonna get you some dresses girly-girl!"

"Don't mind him, he's always this hyper," Mallory whispered from her seat.

"Heard that, Mal-mal!"

"And so?"

"Enough, you two, please?!" Drake hissed from the back.

"Sorry for interrupting your beauty sleep, Free."

"Yeah, whatever..."

Castel stayed quiet as she gazed out the window. They act like one big family. She thought. Where does my loyalty lie? She weighed the pros and cons of each team. She was in debt to Tyana and the saurians for bringing her to life. But to this team....

They reached their destination and broke into groups. It was decided that Mal, Wing, Dee, Nyre and Castel would stick together. Dive, Duke, Tanya, Drake and Grin would be meeting them later at the café.

First stop was the boutique. "What are we doing here?" Castel asked Nyre shyly. The human she knew as her 'mother' smiled and pulled her to a rack. "Getting your clothes! We have a dinner to attend tonight and we're taking you along! Dee! A little help here please!"

The taller girl smiled and came on over, browsing through the rack. "Here... I think this will look good on you Cassy." Lavender eyes twinkled at the hybrid. Castel smiled shyly and took the velvet, hunter green dress and made a beeline for the dressing rooms.

Stepping out a few minutes later, she was greeted by stares from Dee, Mal, and Wing. This is weird. Why are they staring...? I must look awful. She hung her head in shame.

"Oh... my!" Mal let out appreciative sounds.

"You are definitely Nyre and Wing's baby girl!" Dee laughed and clapped her hands. Castel's gaze shot up and she glanced back and forth from each of the members. That was a compliment. She blushed and nodded going back in.

After a few more minutes, Castel and Nyre were at the counter, paying for the new clothes. "This is all for me?" the hybrid asked her 'mother'. Nyre nodded as the saleslady handed them the shopping bags. "But why?"

"You're technically my little girl." Nyre replied softly, reaching over and brushing some bangs from the hybrid's eyes. She smiled. "It's kinda maternal instinct if you think of it. You never had a childhood... so I'm doing what I can to make up for that. Besides," She took the girl's hand and went out the door to meet up with Mal, Dee and Wildwing. "Don't you like the attention?'

* * *

"Presenting Ms. Castel Leviste-Flashblade!" Mallory laughed when they met up with the rest

Grin nodded in approval, Dive and Drake both pulled off their shades in disbelief and Duke and Tanya smiled appreciatively as Castel stepped out from behind Nyre in her new white sundress.

"A seat mademoiselle?" Dive smiled as he pulled her a chair. "Sit down mon cheri."

"Enough Dive, you're hilarious!" Castel blushed and sat down. "Thank you." She smiled to each of them but looked away when she got to Duke. He eyed her kindly, "so kid, what d'ya wanna eat?"

"Are you treating the team, Duke?" Tanya teased, nudging him with her elbow.

He stuck his tongue out at her and smiled, "No, sweetheart, just Cassy-girl here... the rest of you, buy your own!"

"Whatever you say DK!" Nyre laughed and tossed a napkin at his face. Duke suppressed his laughter and crumpled his own napkin hurling it at her. "DUKE!"

"You deserved it kid!"

Nyre rolled her eyes and motioned to the waiter for their orders.

* * *

"Do you see that?!" Tyana growled and ripped the rag in her hands to shreds. "She's with them!!!"

"Wasn't that the plan Tyana?" Dragaunus rapped his nails on the arm of his chair.

"She isn't doing anything in our favor." The human snapped back, amber eyes blazing.

"Silence, wench!!" He grabbed her by her throat and lifted her high up in the air. "Don't you dare raise your voice against me!"

She struggled to free herself. And then, seconds later he dropped her to the ground. "The next time you do that..." Smoke escaped his nostrils. "...I won't be as merciful." He turned on his heel.

"You never are." Tyana snorted and went back to her work. I'm taking matters into my own hands now. She thought, a cruel smile on her lips. She clicked on the communicator. "Siege, Wraith, Chameleon, I heard you wanted action, so listen close..."

* * *

"Oh tell me why, ain't nothin' but a heartache..." Dive sang out to Castel as he held her hand.

Three napkins flew in his direction.

"Don't wreck the song, Dive." Mal laughed.

"Ohhhh, that hurt Mally!"

"Don't call me MALLY!"

"Down! Both o' ya!" came the familiar Brooklyn accent from across the table.

The two shushed as Duke told them to but seconds later burst out laughing and pelted him with napkins in turn.

"C'mon guys, at this rate we won't have any napkins left." Tanya reasoned as she blocked her salad from being pelted.

"Taunny's right you two." Nyre said, placing a hand on Dive's wrist. "Enough." She turned to Castel. "Hey Castel, you haven't eaten anything from your plate."

Castel smiled shyly and picked at her food with a fork. "Uhm... can I go to the washroom? I... I need to go."

Nyre laughed softly and leaned slightly on Wing's arm to her left. "Sure Cassy, just take that small corridor to the left. The ladies room is a little further down. If you need help, just ask one of the waitresses." She smiled kindly and turned her attention to Wing.

Castel walked to where Nyre had directed and entered the washroom.

But she wasn't there for anything else than to contact Tyana. She had to call off the strike.

It didn't feel right.

Something was definitely wrong.

She locked herself in a cubicle and opened the tiny communicator she'd managed to hide all this time. After what had happened the other night she didn't want to arouse Duke's interest in guarding her again. Afterall, it was mere luck that he'd probably let it slide.

She clicked the button and watched as Tyana's face come into view. "Tyana... it's me, Cas." She whispered softly and crouched lower. "I'm in the café north of Main Street."

A smile. "I know." A nod. "I had Chameleon follow you closely."

She blinked. "How?" Her heart raced. "I would have known."

"The saleslady at the cashier when you got that pretty little dress. Now get ready and get out of there. I'm going to signal those goons to take the Ducks out."

Castel felt her hands sweat. "You can't. You just CAN'T!" She pleaded with Tyana.

The human stared back with her eerie eyes. "What do you mean I can't? I can do anything I damn well please, as long as it benefits Lord Dragaunus as well." Amber eyes narrowed into tiny slits. "And have you forgotten about your parents?!"

Castel swallowed hard. "I haven't. In fact, I've met them already. I'm sorry Tyana. But I can't let you hurt the Ducks." She closed the connection and exited the cubicle and dropped the communicator in the sink and opening the water to drench it and destroy it.

After, she ran out, back to the team.

* * *

She's been gone a long time. Duke glanced to Drake and the human nodded in return. "'Scuse me ladies... but I think I gotta go to--"

"Guys we gotta get out!" Castel rushed towards them, her face filled with fear. "We gotta get--" The wall to her right exploded and three hunter drones waltzed right in with Siege on their tail.

"EVERYBODY OUT!!!" Wing boomed to the other customers and gave one waiter a shove to get out of the way. "Battle gear! All of you!" He commanded the whole team.

"Shovin' ain't nice buddy." The waiter immediately shifted into the Chameleon who fired at the ceiling, causing dust to fall on Mal and Tanya.

"Tanya! MOVE!!!" the redhead shouted and pushed aside her blond friend. The two female ducks rolled on the floor and crashed into three drones like bowling balls.

"Dive! Grin! Dee! Get those people out of here!" Nyre commanded as she sent a hard kick towards Chameleon's unsuspecting rear. "We have to--- argh!!!" Her scream ripped through the air as Wraith sent her flying to the opposing wall. The world spun around her, but she had to stay conscious.

Duke swung his saber, slicing two drones to bits. Movement to his left caught his attention and he ducked just in time to miss the chair that was sent his way. A table crashed onto him seconds after. "Whyioughta... oh geez-- CASTEL! RUN!" He shouted, reaching out a helpless hand as Siege grabbed the child from behind.

"You-let-me-GO!!!" The hybrid kicked and squirmed as two huge arms encircled her and pinned her arms stiff to her sides.

"Siege! GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF HER!" Drake leapt from somewhere east of the saurian and latched onto his neck. A flash of green signaled the activation of his saber and Siege let go. Castel scampered away, out of the café, leaving the two tangling in a death wrestle.

This can't be happening now. I can't run away I have to-- "You child... have one rather difficult personality. Plus a misled sense of loyalty." Castel swallowed hard as the barrel of a gun was aimed right at her.

"Tyana... I..."

"Shut up!" Amber eyes glowed with rage, and the hybrid felt her whole being tremble with fear.

Tyana's eyes weren't human anymore. Those eyes were the eyes of a madwoman.

"You failed me... and by doing so, I've failed Lord Dragaunus." Her slender finger moved to the trigger. Tyana's eyes suddenly held a pleading look and the gun went down slowly. "You were my most beautiful creation Castel... how could you betray me like this?!" The human waved the gun around carelessly and she looked around, as an actor in a play would.

She was crazy.

And Castel had realized this only now.

"Creation...?" Castel whispered, confused. "What do you...?"

"I MADE YOU!" Tyana screamed at her. "I made you from those two blasted do-gooder's DNA! BUT I MADE YOU WHO YOU ARE! I GAVE YOU LIFE! I GAVE YOU YOUR SOUL! YOUR ESSENCE AND BEING!"

The gun was raised once more and Castel realized that she'd been backed into an alleyway.

Away from help... or hope of being saved at all.

She turned her gaze once more to the woman before her.

She created me... she made me who I am. I'm... I'm nothing but a freak...

The horror of the situation hit her then.

I'm a thing... I'm not a person....

A smile came slowly to Tyana's lips. "And you see child... since I gave you that life..." She grabbed Castel's wrist and jerked her forward, the gun aiming straight at Castel's stomach. "I can take it... I can take all that... away."

She pulled the trigger.

Click.

"What the hell?!" Tyana's outraged scream filled the empty air.

Click. Click. Click.

The bullet had jammed. "STUPID PRIMITIVE MACHINE!!!"

Castel couldn't feel her legs... she wanted to run. This was her chance...

But she couldn't feel her legs. She couldn't move.

Click--click--click---

BANG!

* * *

Nyre lifted her head and glanced around. The fight still wore on. But without the saurians, the drones were easy kill. To her right, Dive grinned goofily and gave her a thumbs-up sign as their gazes met.

Then a scream filled their ears.

A scream much like that of Nyre's.

Tanya finished off the remaining drone and turned just in time to see the color leave Nyre's face.

Castel.

* * *

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Grin tried to stop the human, but his hands missed her by mere centimeters and that was all Nyre needed to tackle Tyana.

The gun slid out of the madwoman's hands. Red hair stood out against the gray pavement and pale arms weakly shielded that beautifully made face of Tyana Ferau.

Nyre had knocked her down and had lost all control over her fists.

She had lost all sense of reason when she saw poor, defenseless Castel lying stiff on the ground.

She had reason to.

"You mutilating witch!" the sixteen-year-old screamed, her knuckles ramming against Tyana's forearms, tears of anger and hate cascaded down the teenager's face. "Wala-kang-kwentang-hampas-lupang-sira-ulo*-how-could-you-do-this-to-a-poor-defenseless-child-you-inhuman-b--"

"NYRE! ENOUGH!" Duke and Dee pulled the girl away and made way for Mallory to shoot bolo-pucks to secure their captive.

"SHE SHOULD DIE! I DON"T CARE WHAT THE REST OF YOU THINK! SHE JUST KILLED MY BABY GIRL!!!"

"Nyre, shouting won't solve anything." The ex-thief tried to reason out. He held her violently trembling hands at bay.

"And you think reason will?!" Ebony eyes flashed dangerously. "LOOK AT HER DUKE! LOOK-AT-HER!!!" Nyre pulled her hands away and pointed a shaking finger to where Drake, Tanya and Wing were bent down by the hybrid's still form.

Duke stepped back and let the young girl be. Dive took over moments later and held her tightly in his arms.

I can't blame her. Duke swallowed hard. That's motherly instinct I'm going against.

Mallory walked over to where Tyana sat quietly. "I should kick you to death." She spat out in disgust.

A squad car pulled up with three police motorbikes. Captain Klegghorn had graced the scene at last. The small officer's frown deepened and he waved his doughnut in front of the them all, a lecture leaving his mouth. "Okay you birds. What the hell's going on here? I got a call from some pretty freaked out--"

"Can't you once skip the freakin' lecture Kleggy?!" Dive roared.

The Captain stopped and blinked. The kid had never shouted at him like that before. He scanned the area. Tyana Ferau? What hell was that college grad doing here? Okay... Duke, Dee Kerse, Grin massaging his knuckes, that red-head looking like a spitting firecat, Freewind, Tanya and Wing bent over a...

"Waitasecondhere?!" He burst out. "You ducks are only six?! Where'd the extra one pop out from?"

"She's one of Tya's experiments Captian." Dee filled him in on what had happened. From the moment Castel had attacked them at the Pond, to the discovery of her identity to the moment they had found her lying there, and Tyana running off to heaven-knows with a 38-caliber revolver in her hand.

"So I got a murder on my hands eh?" the officer moved towards the weeping Nyre.

He'd seen her in worse scrapes. Heck, he'd known her since the day he found her, a five year old kid, the lone survivor of an ugly car crash years before this. He'd seen her get carried off in stretchers and the like after each episode with the ducks, but she'd never looked more broken up than now.

"Kid..."

Nyre looked away.

"Tyana's not gonna walk off this time."

"She'd better not." A flash of white vengeance came to those eyes he knew well. Hell, sometimes, expressive gazes were the worst. "Or you'll be sending me into the jailhouse for the same thing she got off easy for."

"I promise by my life kid, no need for ultimatums."

"Good."

Klegghorn signaled his men to take Tyana away when--"WAIT!"

Heads turned to Drake, Tanya and Wing, who was carrying Castel's body in his arms. "What...?" Nyre's face registered confusion.

"Arrest Tyana for attempted murder." Tanya supplied. Drake motioned to the now stirring hybrid in Wildwing's arms.

"Cas!!!" Nyre rushed to her 'daughter's' side and held her hand tight, crooning softly, as if she were talking to a baby.

Tanya approached the officer. "She's gonna be fine. But I wouldn't think of--"

"Yeah I know." Klegghorn cut her of and nodded to his subordinates. "This wacko's not gonna get off that easy this time."

The team watched quietly as the last of Tyana's red curls vanished behind the gray door of the van.

* * *

"I don't see why you guys insist I sit in this wheelchair."

"Your mother insists."

"WING!"

Castel crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. "Whatever, you two." She nodded to Dive to push her out of the room. Wing sighed. "Is this really how a daughter is?" He smiled weakly to Nyre and slid an arms around her waist. It had been a week since the incident and it was only today that Castel had been let out, with Tanya's permission, of the medi-bay.

The tiny human laughed and leaned her head on his chest. "You wishing she was never created?" She teased him, not meaning a word of it.

The avian shook his head and sighed. "No."

"Good."

"Why would I? She's wonderful... like her mother."

Nyre pulled away and blushed. "Whatever, Wing!" She rushed off to follow suit.


The End
Back to Nyre's Fanfiction
Back to Fanfiction